Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jul 13, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #18,406 of 23,425
Hi Timoteo80,

Thanks for the headsup on the Amazon travel case. Just got my first pair of HD600's from Amazon for a rediculous price.
Great headphones...

Ren

Uhh ohh did you get the HD600s on PrimeDay? I was peaking around that day & almost bought the HD598 for $109 because I gave my modded HD558 to a friend, but miss them for gaming now lol. The foam mod on the 558 is supposed to get them close to the 598. Anyways...can I ask what you got your 600 for? I bought mine on Amazon but to get the cost down I signed up for their Amazon card & got instant $70 credit which brought the 600 down to $190ish.

Give the HD600 time to break in btw. I know it's a highly debated topic but I truly feel mine changed for the better over time. If you don't have a good amp for them you aren't getting the best from them. My Yamaha Aventage AVR doesn't do them justice. My Fiio E11 is better but my Bottlehead Crack amp is the best to me. I wasn't all that impressed with the 600s until I head them thru the Crack, it was then that I understood the hype. I literally got a big smile on my face the second I head them on it.

I'm interested in trying some EQ with them but in no rush because I love them so much now :)

Let us know the case you choose too!

Jul 13, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #18,408 of 23,425
Hi Timoteo80,

Just got my first pair of HD600's from Amazon for a rediculous price.
Great headphones...

Ren

How much is ridiculous? I got mine as part of a long-running deal last year where $400 (actually, $415 with tax) got you the headphone and a $150 gift card. With tax and one-day shipping (couldn't resist--I'd waited months at that point), the headphone part of the deal worked out to just over $270. Probably not the best price ever, but pretty good considering the headphone itself over the months I was watching never made it far below $300.

Jul 13, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #18,409 of 23,425
How much is ridiculous? I got mine as part of a long-running deal last year where $400 (actually, $415 with tax) got you the headphone and a $150 gift card. With tax and one-day shipping (couldn't resist--I'd waited months at that point), the headphone part of the deal worked out to just over $270. Probably not the best price ever, but pretty good considering the headphone itself over the months I was watching never made it far below $300.

I got my HD600 for $229 from a Black Friday sale in 2015 from Adorama IIRC, it was the cheapest I've ever seen them.

Jul 14, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #18,410 of 23,425
I got my HD600 for $229 from a Black Friday sale in 2015 from Adorama IIRC, it was the cheapest I've ever seen them.

That's even cheaper than I paid for my used pair just year.... by one dollar. :beyersmile: (They were in pristine condition, though, and well worth it!)

That's a great price!

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #18,412 of 23,425
HD-600 connected to my Mojo with a Sennheiser HD-800 cable which I shortened to 1m and terminated with a mini 3,5mm jack....simply superb!

IMG_4484.JPG

Jul 15, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #18,413 of 23,425
HD-600 connected to my Mojo with a Sennheiser HD-800 cable which I shortened to 1m and terminated with a mini 3,5mm jack....simply superb!

I've heard nothing but great things about the Mojo. I'd love to hear it together with the HD600s myself. Have you ever heard your cans on a tube amp? Something similar to the Crack.

Jul 15, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #18,414 of 23,425
Uhh ohh did you get the HD600s on PrimeDay? I was peaking around that day & almost bought the HD598 for $109 because I gave my modded HD558 to a friend, but miss them for gaming now lol. The foam mod on the 558 is supposed to get them close to the 598. Anyways...can I ask what you got your 600 for? I bought mine on Amazon but to get the cost down I signed up for their Amazon card & got instant $70 credit which brought the 600 down to $190ish.

Give the HD600 time to break in btw. I know it's a highly debated topic but I truly feel mine changed for the better over time. If you don't have a good amp for them you aren't getting the best from them. My Yamaha Aventage AVR doesn't do them justice. My Fiio E11 is better but my Bottlehead Crack amp is the best to me. I wasn't all that impressed with the 600s until I head them thru the Crack, it was then that I understood the hype. I literally got a big smile on my face the second I head them on it.

I'm interested in trying some EQ with them but in no rush because I love them so much now :)

Let us know the case you choose too!

Hi Timoteo80,
No was not on Prime Day.
I got the HD600's for $240, with the $12 rewards points they were $228.
And agreed, they take time to break in, They were a mess when I first got them. Now they have come around very nicely indeed.
Am running them with just an Asus STXII loaded with Burson V5D opamps and they sound great.
Thing I really love about them other than their neutrality and detail is their pinpoint location of the instruments in the mix.
I can see why they use these headphones in recording studios for mixing and instument placement.
Btw, I am an ex-professional musician so knows a bit about sound.

Ren

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #18,415 of 23,425
Hello, I picked up my Sennheiser 600s today. The way they sound simply isn't fair. I don't know why I didn't sooner (or why other companies even bother making headphones in this price range...I know I know variety, it's hyperbole to express my happiness with these).

I'm gonna go the full 9-yards with these things (custom cable, paint job probably, etc). My "headphone to 3.5mm female interconnect" from Best Cables in the Verse is already processing.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi, read a lot of this thread and there's a lot of good info here :), so I thought I'd share. An ASUS Xonar DGX sound card and an LG V20 drives these things with no problem. I'm actually really impressed with how well each one is doing.

Jul 15, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #18,416 of 23,425
Hello, I picked up my Sennheiser 600s today. The way they sound simply isn't fair. I don't know why I didn't sooner (or why other companies even bother making headphones in this price range...I know I know variety, it's hyperbole to express my happiness with these).

I'm gonna go the full 9-yards with these things (custom cable, paint job probably, etc). My "headphone to 3.5mm female interconnect" from Best Cables in the Verse is already processing.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi, read a lot of this thread and there's a lot of good info here :), so I thought I'd share. An ASUS Xonar DGX sound card and an LG V20 drives these things with no problem. I'm actually really impressed with how well each one is doing.

Woah, glad to hear that you're having so much fun!

They are indeed a wonder of sound!

I had no idea how much a good DAC/AMP can change the sound until I actually plugged them in iDSD BL right after I pulled them from a weaker source. You need to hear the changes to believe. I was not a believer, but iDSD BL forced me to believe that a good DAC/AMP can change the sound greatly for a headphone.

I am having a similar amount of fun with Signature Studio these days, I'm always glad to see people having fun and finding the headphone that they love most!

Jul 16, 2017 at 3:49 AM Post #18,417 of 23,425
Not stupid at all.

I currently have the HD598, HD598Cs, HD600, HD6XX, HD700 and HD800.

So no, I do not think that would make you stupid. Me maybe. You definitely not...

beerchug.gif
Hello. Im considering buy a hd598Cs just because my other big cans are a hifiman re400h (open back) and have no isolation at all. I had listened a hd598 and it feels really good, very good sound. What can I expect from this hd598Cs, is it too far from the original hd598?

Jul 16, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #18,418 of 23,425
Similar enough that if you enjoyed the originals you will also enjoy the HD598Cs. I found there to little smaller soundstage and more bass response however changes were small with the HD598Cs over the original. Also as a closed back can they have much better isolation.

As always IMHO, YMMV, yada, yada yada...

:)

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #18,419 of 23,425
You can try Feliks audio's products. They are highly hyped. But tubes are deadly temptation for using tube amplifiers. Many times I had impulsion to buy Feliks, every time I give up when I think of the temptation of further investment of tubes.
Happy owner of a Feliks Audio Elise to drive my HD 600 since December 2016. You're spot on, unless you consider the consolidated knowledge that is available over at the Elise threads. First owners tube rolled so heavily that their findings safely represent common consensus as to which tubes make a better offering than the stock tubes and how.

For me, after of 6 months and lots of $ trying to carve my own path, I feel confident to say that there's nothing new to be found in this regard. I also feel confident to say that the hype is real, and that the Elise can make the HD600 scale like nothing I'd have imagined when I first got them. Unfortunately new pricing puts the Elise close to its younger but more potent sibling the Euforia, but as many people are upgrading the Elise can be had for a very decent price second hand, sometimes among with a good selection of tubes!

PS. IMO the Elise ran with pairs of GEC 6080 / Sylvania 6sn7w is all I'll ever need for my HD600. The combo sounds absolutely stunning and I even compared it to my ATC SCM20sl! If you know what I'm talking about then you know that's quite an achievement! But I also absolutely loved the stock sound with Psvane from the first time (I don't know about the Tung-Sol reissue but I hear FA thinks about dumping them).

Jul 16, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #18,420 of 23,425
Woah, glad to hear that you're having so much fun!

They are indeed a wonder of sound!

I had no idea how much a good DAC/AMP can change the sound until I actually plugged them in iDSD BL right after I pulled them from a weaker source. You need to hear the changes to believe. I was not a believer, but iDSD BL forced me to believe that a good DAC/AMP can change the sound greatly for a headphone.

I am having a similar amount of fun with Signature Studio these days, I'm always glad to see people having fun and finding the headphone that they love most!

Oh I believe you, but I thought that I'd have to get one at the same time as the 600s and then make sure I picked the right one to suit my tastes, etc etc. It felt like a huge task and a giant pain yknow? Figure out the headphones, figure out the DAC/amp combo, abuse Amazon's super awesome return policy, and maybe one day I figure it out lol.

Knowing that these work really well with a DGX card and the V20 (and they even got to a decently loud volume on my 3ds, but I have to keep it cranked all the way up) really takes that pressure off. Now I can enjoy these things and take my time finding the right dac/amp. I actually tried probably 6-7 other headphones (fidelio x2, sennheiser 5x9 series, k7xx) because the whole amp/dac thing is intimidating. Turns out the HD600s are amazing anyway :)

The beginning of the amp/dac search will begin soon. Here's hoping they have decent mobile options. I was thinking of using velcro. I can put velcro on my 3ds, phone case, and desk and then just slap the dac/amp on those devices as I want to use them. May not do it for the V20, though. That amp/dac combo isn't screwing around. Ear splitting, clean loudness at less than 50%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back