Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 23, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #17,926 of 23,499
At the end of the day it's different strokes for different folks.  In general, it seems most of the community enjoys rare acoustical jazz over more mainstream tracks of various genres.  I'm more of an EDM and modern rock guy.

Either way, moving forward the HD600 is a gem.  
cool.gif

Mar 23, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #17,927 of 23,499
I am really like my new HD600s with my Graham Slee Voyager portable amp (via iPod Classic). This matches my previous favourite pairing of Mojo and Focal Spirit Classic that I miss so much. Similarly wonderfully smooth but dynamic natural sound with obviously a little more air. Terrific soundstage and beautiful placing and perfect timbre of instruments.Everything sounds effortlessly correct, really

I've used the Voyager for several years with my HD25s but even better match with the 600. Any thoughts of selling this and the accompanying iPod have evaporated.

A great 'portable' ,for me around the house, set up.

I also like the low profile but nice length stock cable; very versatile, with its cleverly designed adaptor.

Officially a Beyer to Sennheiser convert
beyersmile.png

Mar 23, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #17,928 of 23,499
  Mhm it's weird, my favourite band since ever is Led Zeppelin, I've the complete discography 24/96 and doesnt matter with which amp I use my HD 600, all songs dont sound good at all, while the rest of my music is just fantastic .....

Thought I'd listen to Led Zepp after reading this

The newer 'Mothership' compilation I have sounds pretty awful on the Sennheisers. Harsh, loud, un-dynamic, a travesty to such great music.I take this is what's meant by compression?!? 

My older CD's (I have all the individual albums EDIT also most on LP with nothing to play them on!)) on the other hand sound absolutely superb. Best I've heard; the music just flows effortlessly, fast dynamic and with the great impact when needed.

Conlcusion: it's not the headphones.

The HD600 really does show the difference between poorly and well  mastered music. Never experienced the differences so starkly till now.

Haven't heard these HiRes versions but maybe they are not so good, or at least all they're cracked up to be, either ?

Mar 23, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #17,929 of 23,499
  Thought I'd listen to Led Zepp after reading this

The newer 'Mothership' compilation I have sounds pretty awful on the Sennheisers. Harsh, loud, un-dynamic, a travesty to such great music.I take this is what's meant by compression?!? 

My older CD's (I have all the individual albums EDIT also most on LP with nothing to play them on!)) on the other hand sound absolutely superb. Best I've heard; the music just flows effortlessly, fast dynamic and with the great impact when needed.

Conlcusion: it's not the headphones.

The HD600 really does show the difference between poorly and well  mastered music. Never experienced the differences so starkly till now.

Haven't heard these HiRes versions but maybe they are not so good either ?

The best ever release of LZ is Led Zeppelin II mastered by the legendary Robert Ludwig (vinyl).  Incredible bass and slam - that disk is hard to come by though (at least at a reasonable price).

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #17,930 of 23,499

The best ever release of LZ is Led Zeppelin II mastered by the legendary Robert Ludwig (vinyl).  Incredible bass and slam - that disk is hard to come by though (at least at a reasonable price).

You had to let us music hungry people know that that is the best master of the album? 
eek.gif

Come on! 

Led Zeppelin is pure love for too many of us! 

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #17,931 of 23,499

You had to let us music hungry people know that that is the best master of the album? 
eek.gif

Come on! 

Led Zeppelin is pure love for too many of us! 

Almost anything Ludwig touched is pure gold!  You will find his initials (RL) in the dead-wax of the vinyl he mastered.

I am told that Synchronicity, by the Police is a pretty good one by RL also.

Mar 24, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #17,932 of 23,499
Guys, I have some questions:

1. Is there any modding guides for the HD600? I heard that there are mods that can push the potential of the HD600

2. I have seen someone selling his/her HD600. I was told that it is the 2008 version, is this referring to an older version or is it the same as what's sold on the market now?

Thanks!

Mar 24, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #17,933 of 23,499
Back to the veil matter and the sound quality, I was listening few cd of Jordi Savall and they sound so perfect with the HD600!

Mar 24, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #17,934 of 23,499
  At the end of the day it's different strokes for different folks.  In general, it seems most of the community enjoys rare acoustical jazz over more mainstream tracks of various genres.  I'm more of an EDM and modern rock guy.

Either way, moving forward the HD600 is a gem.  
cool.gif

I'm pretty eclectic. One of my requirements for a headphone is that it can cross wide genre gaps (e.g. baroque to pop, classical to EDM) in the same session, right next to one another, without sounding off at any transition. Apart from the lack of low bass extension, the HD 600 pretty much nails that for me.

Something I've never understood, but which I see occasionally here on Head-Fi, is people who start listening exclusively to "headphone listening" music, attesting that they gave up music they once liked just because it doesn't sound good on their headphones. If the headphone isn't rendering the music you like well, and it's not just an issue of it being a duff recording, then the fault is with the headphone, not the music, and to give up music one likes...like I've said, this is a line of thinking I've never understood. I think if one goes down this road they're dangerously close to the point where they're listening to gear instead of listening to music.

I don't stand around admiring a new window. I just want to be able to look through it without the glass being a funky color or there being crud all over it. Similarly, all I want from my headphones is for them to not suck or drive me nuts with fatigue or wonkiness while I'm listening. What's so surprising is how few manage to achieve this seemingly simple goal. The HD 600 achieves it, and as such I can safely ignore it entirely when I'm wearing it and concentrate on enjoying the music itself.

Mar 24, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #17,935 of 23,499
Guys, I have some questions:

1. Is there any modding guides for the HD600? I heard that there are mods that can push the potential of the HD600

2. I have seen someone selling his/her HD600. I was told that it is the 2008 version, is this referring to an older version or is it the same as what's sold on the market now?

Thanks!

I've seen some mods, to remove the little foam cover on the back of the drivers, and the foam from the earpads.
Magically it convertd the 600 into a 650, and even better, for zero cost. :grinning:

Mmmmm. Im not in favor to mood anything, it is designed in that way, and they sound great just out of the box, I do not find any reason neither. This will kill the resell value as well.

Ido no think that the only difference between models it is just a bit of foam, but it is a personal decision, there are a lot of people that enjoy modding things, and that is fine.

Mar 24, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #17,936 of 23,499
I've seen some mods, to remove the little foam cover on the back of the drivers, and the foam from the earpads.
Magically it convertd the 600 into a 650, and even better, for zero cost. :grinning:

Mmmmm. Im not in favor to mood anything, it is designed in that way, and they sound great just out of the box, I do not find any reason neither. This will kill the resell value as well.

Ido no think that the only difference between models it is just a bit of foam, but it is a personal decision, there are a lot of people that enjoy modding things, and that is fine.

That's for the HD 55x. The foam is indeed the major sonic differentiator between it and the HD 59x, though other differences (different outer mesh, supposedly tighter driver tolerances in the higher end model) might contribute a minuscule amount to the equation. I've seen before and after measurements that showed that the difference between unmodded and modded basically equated to the difference between the two HD 5xx models (i.e. with the mod there's a bit less energy around the presence peak at 3.5 kHz), though the site that posted these no longer exists.

In any case, this is definitely not for the HD 6x0 series. There is a mod for the HD 650 specifically involving Dynamat, but I actually can't link it here or even talk about the site where you can find it (don't ask). I haven't got a clue if it does anything or not, and supposedly it's not for the HD 600 anyway so...yeah, that's about as far as that goes.

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #17,937 of 23,499

I'm pretty eclectic. One of my requirements for a headphone is that it can cross wide genre gaps (e.g. baroque to pop, classical to EDM) in the same session, right next to one another, without sounding off at any transition. Apart from the lack of low bass extension, the HD 600 pretty much nails that for me.

Something I've never understood, but which I see occasionally here on Head-Fi, is people who start listening exclusively to "headphone listening" music, attesting that they gave up music they once liked just because it doesn't sound good on their headphones. If the headphone isn't rendering the music you like well, and it's not just an issue of it being a duff recording, then the fault is with the headphone, not the music, and to give up music one likes...like I've said, this is a line of thinking I've never understood. I think if one goes down this road they're dangerously close to the point where they're listening to gear instead of listening to music.

I don't stand around admiring a new window. I just want to be able to look through it without the glass being a funky color or there being crud all over it. Similarly, all I want from my headphones is for them to not suck or drive me nuts with fatigue or wonkiness while I'm listening. What's so surprising is how few manage to achieve this seemingly simple goal. The HD 600 achieves it, and as such I can safely ignore it entirely when I'm wearing it and concentrate on enjoying the music itself.

100% agreed (with the part I bolded).

It's why I keep two completely polar opposite headphones.  The Fostex TH900 are a closed headphone that adds some nice color and sounds rather open for a closed unit.  The HD600 is an open and neutral sounding headphone.  Just about everything I listen to sounds great on both.  At the end of the day, I care what things sound like on my ears.  If it sounds different than what the artist intended but it's how I enjoy it who cares.  Life's too short to be overly critical.  I don't care if the source is off a little.  Things are never going to be perfect.  

If you want some extra bass on the HD600 and you use a windows computer as a source download Equalizer APO.  It's freeware and a highly configurable EQ across windows.  

Link: https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

Turn the gain down 8.1dB so you don't distort and make the EQ the following:

Go to the graphic EQ and set it to 31 band.  Click the little edit tab and paste in there the bottom paragraph starting with "GraphicEQ".  Alternatively, just set them all to +8.1dB and slowly roll it back down to 0 dB by 315Hz.  You'll be surprised how much bass the HD600 can really do with some mild EQ to the low end.  It's no Fostex but it certainly slams hard and clean.  

GraphicEQ: 20 8.1; 25 8.1; 31.5 7.7; 40 7.8; 50 7.4; 63 7.4; 80 7.4; 100 6.6; 125 6.2; 160 5; 200 4; 250 2; 315 0; 400 0; 500 0; 630 0; 800 0; 1000 0; 1250 0; 1600 0; 2000 0; 2500 0; 3150 0; 4000 0; 5000 0; 6300 0; 8000 0; 10000 0; 12500 0; 16000 0; 20000 0

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #17,938 of 23,499
That's for the HD 55x. The foam is indeed the major sonic differentiator between it and the HD 59x, though other differences (different outer mesh, supposedly tighter driver tolerances in the higher end model) might contribute a minuscule amount to the equation. I've seen before and after measurements that showed that the difference between unmodded and modded basically equated to the difference between the two HD 5xx models (i.e. with the mod there's a bit less energy around the presence peak at 3.5 kHz), though the site that posted these no longer exists.

In any case, this is definitely not for the HD 6x0 series. There is a mod for the HD 650 specifically involving Dynamat, but I actually can't link it here or even talk about the site where you can find it (don't ask). I haven't got a clue if it does anything or not, and supposedly it's not for the HD 600 anyway so...yeah, that's about as far as that goes.

That is true in the Web there are modders posts on other sites that says this mod converts the 600 into 650.....even out is explained buy a guy that has a donation link at the bottom of his page.
If the mood truly apply to the hd600, or it is no recommended, if you say no, then it's no, but the information exists anyway.

Mar 24, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #17,939 of 23,499
That is true in the Web there are modders posts on other sites that says this mod converts the 600 into 650.....even out is explained buy a guy that has a donation link at the bottom of his page.
If the mood truly apply to the hd600, or it is no recommended, if you say no, then it's no, but the information exists anyway.

If you look on the HD650 thread some have posted the mods for the dynamat, spider cage removal, foam removal from back of driver and the coin mod.  I don't remember seeing any HD600 owners doing the mods, probably since it will make them even brighter which is what the foam removal does but the removal of the spider cage and the addition of dynamat tightens the bass and cleans ups any veil that one might perceive.

It's why I keep two completely polar opposite headphones.  The Fostex TH900 are a closed headphone that adds some nice color and sounds rather open for a closed unit.  The HD600 is an open and neutral sounding headphone.  Just about everything I listen to sounds great on both.  At the end of the day, I care what things sound like on my ears.  If it sounds different than what the artist intended but it's how I enjoy it who cares.  Life's too short to be overly critical.  I don't care if the source is off a little.  Things are never going to be perfect.  

agree with you about having different headphones and if I enjoy how it sound then its okay even if it might not be what the artist intended.

Mar 24, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #17,940 of 23,499

Ah I see, thanks, I thought the mods are just to enhance the sound of the HD600 instead of turning it into the HD650 (which I do not want)

This sounds... familiar. I understand. Thanks, seems to me that I shouldn't (or rather, not need to) mod the HD600.

If you look on the HD650 thread some have posted the mods for the dynamat, spider cage removal, foam removal from back of driver and the coin mod.  I don't remember seeing any HD600 owners doing the mods, probably since it will make them even brighter which is what the foam removal does but the removal of the spider cage and the addition of dynamat tightens the bass and cleans ups any veil that one might perceive.

Thanks, yes, I have heard about these and thus decided to ask here, just that I forgot the exact terms being used

Users who are viewing this thread

Back