Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 10, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #17,807 of 23,456
Can anyone comment on how the the bottlehead crack sounds with the HD600? I know a lot say it's a good pairing but what does it do to the HD600 to make that so?

Whatever answers you get will be subjective. One person might say X another might say Y. The best bet would be to find a means of listening for yourself, something that is not always possible to arrange.

Mar 10, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #17,809 of 23,456
Can anyone comment on how the the bottlehead crack sounds with the HD600? I know a lot say it's a good pairing but what does it do to the HD600 to make that so?

Not just good...VERY good!! :) You're welcome

Mar 10, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #17,811 of 23,456
  Hi Jedi
Mmm Interesting box.
Where did you purchase it? What is the price range expected for it?
What dac are you using to pair it ?

Thanks!!

Hey!
the company owner is a member of this community and Jan is also a really nice and kind person, anyway his website is this one
http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/
About price, it depends if you live in UE or not, I do and I paid for it with shipping costs, 345 euros.
I dont use any dac because I play music with my FiiO X3 2nd gen

if you need to know more just please let me know :)

Mar 10, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #17,812 of 23,456
It means purchase to try. Due this fact, opinions are always welcome, disregarding subjectivity.

One must be able to resist autosuggestion and be prepared for disappointment. One can see in the last few posts, suggestions for the Bottlehead Crack and FiiO A5, both are very different.

Mar 10, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #17,813 of 23,456

Hey, just received the HM5 earpads and the ring. How were you able to get pads on the ring? I can get one edge in but look at how much I would have to stretch to get the ring in! Am I doing something wrong? Does the bigger side of rim go inside or the smaller side of the rim?

I'm afraid I might rip earpad trying to get the plastic ring in..

http://imgur.com/a/gDKVC

Mar 10, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #17,814 of 23,456
Hey, just received the HM5 earpads and the ring. How were you able to get pads on the ring? I can get one edge in but look at how much I would have to stretch to get the ring in! Am I doing something wrong? Does the bigger side of rim go inside or the smaller side of the rim?

I'm afraid I might rip earpad trying to get the plastic ring in..

http://imgur.com/a/gDKVC

Very carefully stretch the HM5 earpads vertical and horizontal. Then start working on getting the plastic frame in there. I went in at the top/bottom then one side, bottom/top, last side. After that just trim the pleather so as not to interfere with the mounting protrusion.

Please do a neater job than I did because I was too lazy to look for my exacto knife. I used a curved handle small scissor.

After that just mount them as per the original pads. Line it up and push in all around the earpad.

Mar 10, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #17,815 of 23,456
  I have a K702. To me, there is something kind of unnatural and "electronic" about it when listening to music. I don't know how to describe this better. There is plenty of detail. With break-in, there is no shortage of bass. The highs are fine and not piercing (but my hearing drops off at 12K). They are comfortable on my bald head (my wife hates the bumps. They sound better with a decently powerful amp, but I still am not that happy with them. I use them for listening to TV shows when others are still sleeping, but almost never for music.

But the HD-600 does everything I need. It has plenty of bass for classical music, The midrange is clear and adequately detailed. It's comfortable. There is some sense of a "soundstage," but I've not compared to cans like the HD-800s that are supposed to have more of that. It's not peaky. With a decent amp, I don't notice a "veil," but they did sound kind of withdrawn when underpowered by my old AVR and a miniature HeadRoom amp.

I had the HD-650s but found them too dark-sounding. I didn't hear anything that I liked better than the 600s, so I sold them quickly for about what I paid.

I agree with most of your sentiments, except to me the soundstage on the several HD-600's I've tried sound quite large, at least as much as the HD-650 anyway. Much of this has to do with the caliber of your amp. Tubes do massive stage! And about any artificiality to the treble - I'd have to say this is likely system dependent. I've heard both amazingly organic and harsh / artificial treble on the HD-600's (as well as HD-650), which can sound either way depending on how good the source recording and my DAC is. Try them with a TOTL amp and a multibit DAC with USB signal enhancement / reclocking and you would probably change your mind.

Mar 11, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #17,816 of 23,456
Very carefully stretch the HM5 earpads vertical and horizontal. Then start working on getting the plastic frame in there. I went in at the top/bottom then one side, bottom/top, last side. After that just trim the pleather so as not to interfere with the mounting protrusion.

Please do a neater job than I did because I was too lazy to look for my exacto knife. I used a curved handle small scissor.

After that just mount them as per the original pads. Line it up and push in all around the earpad.

I tried but I became nervous as I stretched it to the limit. I didn't want to stretch past the limit and risk tearing brand new earpads..

Anyways, I became frustrated and took a look at the stock earpad plastic. I noticed it was a few millimeters smaller so I just ripped them out. Those fit almost perfectly on my first try without stretching past the limit. These 3d printed plastics were a tiny bit more oval.. I think they would fit great on the HM5 angled pads, which are more oval, but regular HM5 are more circular..

I emailed mod house audio, and the person was very friendly. I will probably return the plastic mounting adapters if he wants them back. He said he will get new hm5 pads and check it out. Still, they should fit on angled HM5 so don't get discouraged if anyone is reading this!

Overall, the HM5 are much more comfortable! More breathing room for my ears. They sound fine tbh. I dunno why people say they sound very different from stock earpads. I cannot easily notice a difference in sound signature. Maybe if I was going back and forth comparing then I may but these still sound better than the DT880 with HM5. If they don't sound as good as stock earpads, it is too close of a call for the difference to be obvious right away.

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #17,817 of 23,456
  I agree with most of your sentiments, except to me the soundstage on the several HD-600's I've tried sound quite large, at least as much as the HD-650 anyway. Much of this has to do with the caliber of your amp. Tubes do massive stage! And about any artificiality to the treble - I'd have to say this is likely system dependent. I've heard both amazingly organic and harsh / artificial treble on the HD-600's (as well as HD-650), which can sound either way depending on how good the source recording and my DAC is. Try them with a TOTL amp and a multibit DAC with USB signal enhancement / reclocking and you would probably change your mind.

The artificiality of the treble that I wrote about was my gripe about the K702s. No issue for me with the HD-600 treble.

Mar 11, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #17,818 of 23,456

Hey, what a totl amp is? Txs

Mar 11, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #17,819 of 23,456
Hey, what a totl amp is? Txs

Abbreviation for "Top of the Line"...

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back