Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 1, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #16,516 of 23,456
  The E6 has this wonderfully natural, organic sound that reminds me a bit of the LP's I used to listen to as a kid. 

That is what the HD600s sound like on my Pioneer SX-1250.  I am hooked.

Nov 1, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #16,517 of 23,456

Good man. 

I'm still mystified as to why my music sounds so much better running through a Fiio E6 hooked up to a retina macbook pro as opposed to a Fiio X5. The X5 is supposed to be technically superior, but I am just totally enamored of the E6/rMBP combo.

The E6 has this wonderfully natural, organic sound that reminds me a bit of the LP's I used to listen to as a kid. 

The X5 seems to have this odd upper midrange hump with a bit of treble roll off. 

I spent $300 on the DAP vs. $25 for the E6 yet I continually reach for the E6. 

Well, sometimes this is more about knowing personal preferences than knowing more and more gear.
In my experience, once you've reach certain sound quality (and I mean, enough power for desired levels, low distortion, good frequency response, ...) it's much more about preferences than absolut technical capabilities. Do you own a FiiO X5 or X5II? I don't have much experience with the original X5 but I was quite impressed with X5II paired with my Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro.

Nov 1, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #16,518 of 23,456
How is the sound signature different? These are $500 to $1K amps you mention. 

Yes, they sound different...for example Fostex HP V1 it's a hybrid tube op amps, this sound more natural in the midrange, voices than others portable amplifiers...

Nov 1, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #16,519 of 23,456

That is what the HD600s sound like on my Pioneer SX-1250.  I am hooked.

That's what it's all about. Finding the sound you like, at your price point. I am surprised that I was able to find the sound signature I really like at the lowest price possible. 

I remain skeptical that higher end headphones can produce a fundamentally superior experience but I'm amenable to the evidence. 

Nov 1, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #16,520 of 23,456
  Well, sometimes this is more about knowing personal preferences than knowing more and more gear.
In my experience, once you've reach certain sound quality (and I mean, enough power for desired levels, low distortion, good frequency response, ...) it's much more about preferences than absolut technical capabilities. Do you own a FiiO X5 or X5II? I don't have much experience with the original X5 but I was quite impressed with X5II paired with my Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro.

I own the X5 and listened to the X3ii extensively before returning it (poor treble response). Reviews claim X5 and X5ii are exceedingly similar in sound quality. 

Nov 1, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #16,521 of 23,456

That's what it's all about. Finding the sound you like, at your price point. I am surprised that I was able to find the sound signature I really like at the lowest price possible. 

I remain skeptical that higher end headphones can produce a fundamentally superior experience but I'm amenable to the evidence. 

I have a couple of pairs of Planar Magnetic/Ortho cans that cost three or more times the price of the HD600. They sound better, but not by a huge amount, it is not a religious experience. If I could only have the HD600, I would not be upset, I would be enjoying listening to music and be done with it.

Nov 1, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #16,522 of 23,456

We can't all be so lucky to spend so little to be happy
tongue.gif

What I can say is this: you will find fundamentally superior sound with higher end headphones, but not necessarily a superior experience. The two can overlap, but they are far from being the same thing.

Nov 6, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #16,524 of 23,456
  We can't all be so lucky to spend so little to be happy
tongue.gif

What I can say is this: you will find fundamentally superior sound with higher end headphones, but not necessarily a superior experience. The two can overlap, but they are far from being the same thing.

We'll see. Hoping to get in on the mass drop 650 tuesday. It's supposed to be a bit darker than the 600's but fairly similar overall. I like portapro's which are darker so I may like the 650's as well. Who knows, I haven't tried any of the 500 or 600 series senns.  

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #16,527 of 23,456

We'll see. Hoping to get in on the mass drop 650 tuesday. It's supposed to be a bit darker than the 600's but fairly similar overall. I like portapro's which are darker so I may like the 650's as well. Who knows, I haven't tried any of the 500 or 600 series senns.  

I think that the HD650 is an incredibly good buy for $200 bar none. And I do think that the HD650 and HD600 are pretty similar overall. Main difference for me is how the bass and treble come through on the HD650. It has more than the HD600, but the same quality which feels a tiny bit wooly. Because of how that, the treble region also feels like it has a little more sparkle to me. I'd be happy with either of them, but having listened to both, the HD600 is my slightly more preferred sound sig. No knock on the HD650, it's an equally good headphone and now ridiculously priced at $200 brand new. Not really much of a downside there
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #16,529 of 23,456
Not from me, this time. I shall just sit back and prepare my mind to learn.
:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back