Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Oct 4, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #16,276 of 23,501
Oct 4, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #16,277 of 23,501

"Laid-back - Recessed, distant-sounding, having exaggerated depth, usually because of a dished midrange. Compare "Forward"."
Glossary of Terms

Not how I use the term laid-back that's for sure. When I think of an audio signature being laid back, it usually conjures up sonic images of a slightly warm and full sound where the treble is just rolled off enough to smooth over harsh edges.

Oct 5, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #16,279 of 23,501
I am REALLY itching to pull the trigger on this one. Looks like I may have the budget for a pair this month.

The Philips 9500 experience really didn't work out for me, so I'm done looking for an "approximation" of the senn 600 experience. I want the real thing! Stay tuned...

Oct 5, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #16,280 of 23,501
  I am REALLY itching to pull the trigger on this one. Looks like I may have the budget for a pair this month.

The Philips 9500 experience really didn't work out for me, so I'm done looking for an "approximation" of the senn 600 experience. I want the real thing! Stay tuned...

To be fair, the SHP9500 isn't really even an approximation of the HD600s (sound signature-wise), but they're more in the general ballpark in the grand scheme of al the vastly different sound signatures available. And you can't get more HD600 than an actual HD600 haha
biggrin.gif

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #16,281 of 23,501

For the street price on the HD600, it is a very easy headphone to recommend. I would be surprised if you didn't like it quite a bit. I was surprised just how much I liked it.

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #16,282 of 23,501

The best I can help is to recommend you to actually audition it. The first time I did was at an audio store in my country and boy, was I amazed. The second time however, was a different story. The HD600 was running unamped straight outta my phone at a local convention (mind you, the noise) and I can't say I was too impressed.

Hell, it was mainly cause I had previous experience auditioning it and seeing how far it can really go with a decent pairing (which i'm too poor to get) did I really jumped on it.

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #16,283 of 23,501

Had both 9500 and HD-600, both gone, gave away the 9500 and sold the HD-600 for what I paid, they just didn't get me involved and want to keep listening.  The 9500 was just too bass shy for me and the highs got irritating with some genres, the HD-600 was much better but due to treble peak at 4-5khz these were headphones that I could use for any length of time for some genres of music.  Very few seem to bothered by the peak of the HD-600 unlike the peak in the HD-700 and HD-800 which bother a whole lot more.
Just give them a decent amp to properly drive them and they will perform quite well, much better than the 9500.

Oct 5, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #16,284 of 23,501

The best I can help is to recommend you to actually audition it. The first time I did was at an audio store in my country and boy, was I amazed. The second time however, was a different story. The HD600 was running unamped straight outta my phone at a local convention (mind you, the noise) and I can't say I was too impressed.

Hell, it was mainly cause I had previous experience auditioning it and seeing how far it can really go with a decent pairing (which i'm too poor to get) did I really jumped on it.

Yikes, I can't imagine how hard it must have been for a phone to drive the HD600, no surprise it was a less than impressive experience.

Oct 5, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #16,285 of 23,501

That's the plan, but it looks like I'd have to drive quite a long ways in order to. Mail order is probably far more convenient, even if it involves a restocking fee or selling it off if I don't like it. 

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #16,286 of 23,501
  Had both 9500 and HD-600, both gone, gave away the 9500 and sold the HD-600 for what I paid, they just didn't get me involved and want to keep listening.  The 9500 was just too bass shy for me and the highs got irritating with some genres, the HD-600 was much better but due to treble peak at 4-5khz these were headphones that I could use for any length of time for some genres of music.  Very few seem to bothered by the peak of the HD-600 unlike the peak in the HD-700 and HD-800 which bother a whole lot more.
Just give them a decent amp to properly drive them and they will perform quite well, much better than the 9500.

Another very sobering assessment. Especially in light of how much I love my budget koss headphones. And I'm set on buying a new pair: UR 40. 

Anyway, with an unforeseen car repair, I may have to hold off on the 600 once again. 

Oct 6, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #16,287 of 23,501
Can someone tell me if the peachtree nova65se would be a good choice for the HD600s? I currently have a pair of 598s but want to upgrade to the 600s very soon, and naturally I've been thinking about getting a dedicated DAC for my computer area, but I have no problem using my nova65se if it can power the 600s, I've read they need a lot more power than the 598s.

These are the nova65se stats: http://i.imgur.com/89JVMaf.png 

Oct 7, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #16,288 of 23,501
Been reading here that some prefered the 600 over thw 650. Will need to listen to them properely in a store.
But has someone compared the 600's with the AKG like 550's or 553's?
Curious bout the bass bc had some mixing problems with my K240's.

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #16,289 of 23,501
  Can someone tell me if the peachtree nova65se would be a good choice for the HD600s? I currently have a pair of 598s but want to upgrade to the 600s very soon, and naturally I've been thinking about getting a dedicated DAC for my computer area, but I have no problem using my nova65se if it can power the 600s, I've read they need a lot more power than the 598s.

These are the nova65se stats: http://i.imgur.com/89JVMaf.png 

With 182 mW into 300 ohms, you've got absolutely nothing to worry about. To put things into perspective, the maximum rated input power for an HD 600 is 200 mW.

If you read a lot of Head-Fi lore, you'll start getting the impression that even Chuck Norris couldn't power an HD 600. My advice is get your HD 600, plug it into your existing source, and if it sounds good to you and gets loud enough (it bloody well should--unless I've completely botched the math, my calculations suggest it should put out a little over 120 dB SPL at peak, which is literally deafening), then you're set.

Oct 7, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #16,290 of 23,501
  Yikes, I can't imagine how hard it must have been for a phone to drive the HD600, no surprise it was a less than impressive experience.

Welp. IIRC my phone didn't even managed to drive it to listenable levels, not to mention the overall sound quality sounded very... mushy.

Even my onboard audio on my PC did so much better after I had purchased it. 

Speaking of which, I'm currently in a budget of around 250USD, and I'm wondering if I should get a much more powerful amp for the HD600. I would be using my current Q1 as a DAC so does anyone have any suggestions within this range, or should I save up for something crazier?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back