Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Aug 23, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #15,721 of 23,482
  Personally, I think there is a finite limit to just how well any transducer can reproduce a signal, and we are already rather close to that limit with even something as humble as the HD600; which I have grown to respect and enjoy far more than I ever expected I might add. The differences we ascribe to better are as far as I can tell can be explained by sound signature preferences to a great extent as opposed to complete technical differences in sound signal reproduction. I do not question that a $4000 offering may well improve in some measureable, but ultimately not reality changing way, some small sonic issues that a budget level HD600 exhibits, but unless one is rather flush with cash, the differences are not really objectively worth it.

I have always said, and admitted, a great deal of the appeal of really TOTL gear is the look and feel. I think more people need to admit that our brain is easily influenced by such things. It seems adaptive to our species that our brain is hard-wired to respond to novelty and beauty. When I hold a premium product it actually triggers the pleasure centers (yes there are more than one) more strongly than when I hold a very cheap piece of budget gear. With those increased levels of neurotransmitters flooding my brain when I then listen to music the impact and perceived quality of what I hear will also be influenced to some extent by just the sheer beauty of the product. Novelty also plays a role in this yearning for freshness, I know I suffer from that as well.

Ultimately I think those factors explain far more of the sound advantage than many of us like to admit. By the way, I think there is nothing wrong with responding to, and enjoying novelty and beauty, it is natural and a wonderful part of being human and I do not look down on it at all. Some people are very lucky and they can easily afford to stimulate their brain and sensory systems to the extremes, I wish that was my lot in life, but it isn't. However; I take comfort in knowing that something as humble as the HD600 when paired with my La Figaro 339 is perfectly capable of giving a surreal, and beautiful experience almost beyond description. So I will keep the extra $3000 plus for something else (until and if I ever don't need to that is).

One of the best things I've read on head fi in a really long time......happen to agree wholeheartedly!

Aug 23, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #15,722 of 23,482
  One of the best things I've read on head fi in a really long time......happen to agree wholeheartedly!

Thanks mate!

Aug 24, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #15,723 of 23,482
Anybody here heard the HD800s enough to have an opinion about whether or not it really is a significant step up from the 600? I'm toying with the idea of grabbing one as I know my 339 will drive it nicely, but I wonder if it is just an expensive, slightly better than side-grading.

Aug 24, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #15,724 of 23,482
  Anybody here heard the HD800s enough to have an opinion about whether or not it really is a significant step up from the 600? I'm toying with the idea of grabbing one as I know my 339 will drive it nicely, but I wonder if it is just an expensive, slightly better than side-grading.

I'll say this: I enjoy music out of the HD600 more. The HD800 has that feeling of being just too clinical. It is technically a great headphone and at it's best with acoustic instruments, classical, and jazz music, but while it is technically fantastic, it doesn't have the same feeling of involvement the HD600 gives me. Even when pitted against the HD800's strong suits, the HD600 holds its own and loses out on fidelity, but wins on emotion. Because of that, I'd choose the HD600 at the end of the day.

Aug 24, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #15,726 of 23,482
Aug 24, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #15,728 of 23,482
  I'll say this: I enjoy music out of the HD600 more. The HD800 has that feeling of being just too clinical. It is technically a great headphone and at it's best with acoustic instruments, classical, and jazz music, but while it is technically fantastic, it doesn't have the same feeling of involvement the HD600 gives me. Even when pitted against the HD800's strong suits, the HD600 holds its own and loses out on fidelity, but wins on emotion. Because of that, I'd choose the HD600 at the end of the day.

Thanks mate, I was referring to the new S version, which is supposed to be less professional and more consumer geared tuning wise.

Aug 24, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #15,729 of 23,482
HD800 vs HD600: It's about diminishing returns and pricing strategy. There is a concept introduced by Michael Porter, Value Signals. Value signals are everything the consumer or prospect uses to infer value. 

Nothing says more about value to an uninformed consumer (most of us, most people) than price. Flagships are, more often than not, luxury items, and are priced accordingly. Sometimes firms do invest a lot of money in design and engineering to have "special things" in flagships, often they just downgrade by removing certain features and capabilities in order differentiate their flagship models, making early adopters pay for the extra features and the fancy name (luxury items are also called identity items, because they "make you" a part of an elite group that have the item; think Mercedes Benz or Ferrari), without adding any features or qualities beyond giving the feeling of exclusivity and belonging to certain elite group. Even in the cases where they do invest a lot of money, design and engineering, to get more out of the new products, the law of diminishing returns applies to that too: there is only so much that can be extracted by a huge amount of effort, after you pass certain threshold. 

That is the semi long answer to the ever present question of "are the flagships/luxury items worth it?". If you have cash to burn, hell yes. If you need a loan or financing to get them, and you need them madly, hell, invest that money in therapy (self esteem, OCD) and you are more likely to get a lot more and longer-lasting satisfaction from your investment. 

My 2 cents. 

Aug 24, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #15,731 of 23,482
  Thanks mate, I was referring to the new S version, which is supposed to be less professional and more consumer geared tuning wise.

Ah, I misunderstood the S. Lowercase vs. uppercase; there's gotta be a better way for manufacturers to differentiate their models other than an S right?

Then in that case, I'm not able to help you out. I've heard the normal HD800, but haven't been able to listen to an HD800S.

Aug 24, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #15,732 of 23,482
  I should have probably refrained myself from opining about the HD800 since I haven't heard it. I just thought my overall experience and area of knowledge could help the community here. This is a disclaimer, I guess. I haven't heard the HD800. 

No worries mate, it is a valid opinion and one I take into consideration for sure. Cheers.

Aug 24, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #15,733 of 23,482
I think you would enjoy the HD800 with your amp, it pairs quite nice with my DV 337(same amp essentially). They take a while to get used to, but I grew to love them.( few mods here and there helped)

Aug 24, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #15,735 of 23,482
  I should have probably refrained myself from opining about the HD800 since I haven't heard it. I just thought my overall experience and area of knowledge could help the community here. This is a disclaimer, I guess. I haven't heard the HD800. 

focal elear blows away the hd800s imo, i A/B'd both for almost an hour with a WA22

Users who are viewing this thread

Back