Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 30, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #13,801 of 23,456
IEMs can be great.

For a pair that is remarkably close to the HD600 in sound and price, have a look at the Audio Technica ATH-IM03. In fact, in my review I call it "The IEM Counterpart to the HD600". :)

That's not to say it sounds exactly like it. In my experience, IEMs will always sound different, since they bypass the outer ear canal. It takes some getting used to, but the right set of IEMs can indeed sound excellent.

Mar 30, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #13,802 of 23,456
My 600's should be arriving in a week or two. Can't wait - might force me to sell one of the numerous quality cans I have that will likely take a back-seat.

Ive heard the 650's on several occasions and can't wait for that silky smooth presentation.

May this be the end of the headphone addiction..?

Mar 30, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #13,803 of 23,456
After three years of owning this headphone I can honestly say that I never looked for another headphone. 

And the thing that amaze me most is the HD 600s ability to separate the song into the different layers the song consist of, but in a very smooth and grain-free way. This is probably because of its great tonal balance. 
And what this does to the songs is making them very alive. Like every time somethings adds to the song you hear and really feel it. Say for instance some verse going on di-do-da-da then refrain enters and they add chorus to the voice and some extra instrument its like ! BOOM REFRAIN ! yeaaah ! So much dynamic going on.  
Then we have the soundstage, which I think is PERFECT ! It may not be deepest or certainly not the widest but it have this pleasant full sounding spherical type of soundstage that just embraces you with smooth precious HD600 sound that never feels stuck in your head but rather around your head.

I really need to buy one more just in case of.

Mar 31, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #13,804 of 23,456
  Over the last year or so I've gotten on the iem bandwagon and I can tell you it's been a blast. I started out with very inexpensive ones and gradually moved up a bit. Right now I'm enjoying my Puro IEM 500 & LZ Z03A's... for the small price of admission (under $50.00) the sound is surprising. It's tough to compare them to my full size cans because the experience is so different. Driver location makes a huge impact and the isolation you can achieve with an iem is nice... tip rolling iem's IMO alters sound more than swapping pads in a full size can. I can't say I've personally heard an iem that bests the HD600 but I enjoy them immensely and will continue to incrementally move up the ladder.

I've been on the IEM train for a few years now cuz I started when I got to college. The isolation is so nice to have walking around campus. And tip-rolling makes more of a difference to me than cable changes or pads for cans.

My 600's should be arriving in a week or two. Can't wait - might force me to sell one of the numerous quality cans I have that will likely take a back-seat.

Ive heard the 650's on several occasions and can't wait for that silky smooth presentation.

May this be the end of the headphone addiction..?

Hmmmm.....you may be in for a very slight surprise. Because while I do think the HD600 is smooth and enjoyable, it's smooth in a different way than the HD650.

After three years of owning this headphone I can honestly say that I never looked for another headphone. 

And the thing that amaze me most is the HD 600s ability to separate the song into the different layers the song consist of, but in a very smooth and grain-free way. This is probably because of its great tonal balance. 
And what this does to the songs is making them very alive. Like every time somethings adds to the song you hear and really feel it. Say for instance some verse going on di-do-da-da then refrain enters and they add chorus to the voice and some extra instrument its like ! BOOM REFRAIN ! yeaaah ! So much dynamic going on.  
Then we have the soundstage, which I think is PERFECT ! It may not be deepest or certainly not the widest but it have this pleasant full sounding spherical type of soundstage that just embraces you with smooth precious HD600 sound that never feels stuck in your head but rather around your head.

I really need to buy one more just in case of.

I have owned this for roughly the same amount of time and only once have I bought another set (the Hifiman HE560) to satisfy curiosity about price to performance ratios. While I do have a few sets of headphones, I have yet to buy one because I thought I needed to improve upon the sound quality I get from the HD600. It sounds great and I don't feasibly need any more sound quality from my personal setup. I still like trying out higher-end headphones when the opportunity presents itself though
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #13,808 of 23,456
  The HD600 more than any other can in its price range, often gets mentioned as an end-game for people... pretty amazing.

I think the HD-650 gets more attention but they are both great headphones that have lasted quite a long time.  Other headphones that have been in production for long periods are the MDR-7506/V6, M50 variants, and many Grado's

Mar 31, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #13,810 of 23,456
Hi, I'm thinking of getting a hd600 or hd650. Which one would be better for vocals, mostly female? Or are they mostly the same in that aspect?
HD600 is noticably better in female vocals. More true to life, more crisp! I love female vocals of HD650, but sometimes vocals are a bit dull for some genres and songs... For 80% of songs vocals was just great, but HD600 nailed vocals for all my music!

Mar 31, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #13,811 of 23,456
There is no point in buying the HD 600 if someone has the HD 650? :p

Mar 31, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #13,813 of 23,456

I say no. Conversely, if one owns the HD600 and finds the highs too sharp, there might be an argument for buying the HD650.

ok thanks :)

Mar 31, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #13,815 of 23,456

...if one owns the HD600 and finds the highs too sharp, there might be an argument for buying the HD650.

Why not just eq the 600 and make it sound like 650?

I think they are so similar that you could make one sound exactly like the other with nothing but a touch of eq.

Can I ask someone to try this by the way? Someone who owns both, please try eq-ing the 600 to the same frequency curve as the 650 and see if you can tell a difference in a blind test. That would be an amazing test and wold calm a lot of people here down, who have one and still crave for the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back