Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 26, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #12,813 of 23,456
  Check out this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N15_3_TP7I

Jascha Heifetz was notorious for insisting being mic'd super close, and the resulting recording is not what I'd call pleasing.

Listen from about 17:29 for a long cadenza.

OK, I feel like an idiot here. I have tried listening to this several times now, but I just don't hear anything unpleasant. The recording sounds like it's pretty low res though, I'm hearing a lot of "artifacts" but they all sound like the ones I associate with poor mp3 sound and such.
confused.gif

Nov 27, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #12,814 of 23,456
OK, I feel like an idiot here. I have tried listening to this several times now, but I just don't hear anything unpleasant. The recording sounds like it's pretty low res though, I'm hearing a lot of "artifacts" but they all sound like the ones I associate with poor mp3 sound and such. :confused:
It's not a high res example of close micing. I'll try to find a more modern example.

Nov 27, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #12,815 of 23,456
  Well it's like most things sometimes you get a bad one. To say the HD600 is made from crappy materials is ridiculous.

Plastic is a crappy material, but I will gladly make the trade off for comfort.

The head cushion is also laughably cheap.

EDIT: I am not trying to ruffle feathers. My stance is that plastic is a crappy material. The plastic on the HD600 is definitely some of the better I've seen, but there is just too much of it from an aesthetics point of view. 

Nov 27, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #12,816 of 23,456

What makes a material good and what makes it bad, according to you?

That aside, you do realise that the term plastic covers a lot of different materials? Try googling "high performance plastics" and you might be surprised to learn that these are used quite a lot in aeroplanes and cars.

That aside, I do agree that the headband shape and padding comfort leaves something to be desired.

Nov 27, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #12,817 of 23,456
I think that while padding is pretty stiff at first, it gets very comfortable over time.

Nov 29, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #12,819 of 23,456
Just bought my first HD600 from B&H after seeing the Sales announcement on the front page of Head-Fi! Really Glad. I was checking all day during BlackFriday for a good deal.

I'm going to step up from the HD558 to the HD600. I hope to get a clear audio improvement in music listening. I love Sennheiser, really my favorite Headphone Brand.

The thing is, I don't have an Amp up to this Headphone. I have a X-fi Titanium HD with a built In HeadAmp, but I don't think it's going to do the best job, and also a E-MU Tracker Pre. How do you think these are going to drive this can?

I plan on getting an Apogee Groove for proper listening, but I absolutely don't have the budget for that right now, and I don't know if I want to get this out of the Box until I can get it, or I start using it this way.

Nov 29, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #12,820 of 23,456

Well it's like most things sometimes you get a bad one. To say the HD600 is made from crappy materials is ridiculous.

The head cushion is also laughably cheap.

EDIT: I am not trying to ruffle feathers. My stance is that plastic is a crappy material. The plastic on the HD600 is definitely some of the better I've seen, but there is just too much of it from an aesthetics point of view. 

What plastic?  Mine is marble.

Nov 29, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #12,821 of 23,456
Nov 29, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #12,822 of 23,456
What $249 for a brand new HD600. How come I didn't wait for this deal? I payed almost $100 more.

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #12,823 of 23,456
  What $249 for a brand new HD600. How come I didn't wait for this deal? I payed almost $100 more.

There was the same deal week ago on Adorama.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back