Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 16, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #12,721 of 23,450
I just got a pair of AKG Q701's & the Sennheiser 600's are still by far my favorites (using the Apogee Groove).  Vocals & Jazz are just so much more awesome.

The sound signature (or whatever) with bands like "My Darkest Days" - the 701's are a little better.  The 600's are seriously inferior to my 598's for comfort ... keep getting headaches from the clampdown pressure.  My only gripe.

I will soon have LCD-3, Beyerdynamic T70, Audeze Deckard & Modi / Vali to throw in for testing.

Nov 16, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #12,722 of 23,450
  I just got a pair of AKG Q701's & the Sennheiser 600's are still by far my favorites (using the Apogee Groove).  Vocals & Jazz are just so much more awesome.

The sound signature (or whatever) with bands like "My Darkest Days" - the 701's are a little better.  The 600's are seriously inferior to my 598's for comfort ... keep getting headaches from the clampdown pressure.  My only gripe.

I will soon have LCD-3, Beyerdynamic T70, Audeze Deckard & Modi / Vali to throw in for testing.

Man you must have one serious noggin'! My head is pretty huge and I have no comfort issue's with the HD600. I did have the 598's but didn't like their sound at all...almost passed on the HD600 because I thought they might sound similar but thankfully they do not.
I have the AKG K612 and like them much more than I thought I would with the right amp & DAC. 

Nov 16, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #12,723 of 23,450
  Man you must have one serious noggin'! My head is pretty huge and I have no comfort issue's with the HD600. I did have the 598's but didn't like their sound at all...almost passed on the HD600 because I thought they might sound similar but thankfully they do not.
I have the AKG K612 and like them much more than I thought I would with the right amp & DAC. 

I never really viewed my head as big.  But any consistent pressure on my ears / head gets to me and I'm wearing them 5 - 10 hours a day.  The 598's I would forget they were on all day even when music was off ...

Mind if I ask the AMP / DAC you're using for the AKG's?  I really had absolutely no desire to get neck deep into equipment ...  

Nov 16, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #12,724 of 23,450
I never really viewed my head as big.  But any consistent pressure on my ears / head gets to me and I'm wearing them 5 - 10 hours a day.  The 598's I would forget they were on all day even when music was off ...

Have you tried bending the headband to relax the clamping? Extend the metal and bend it without putting strain on any plastic parts.

Nov 16, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #12,725 of 23,450

Mind if I ask the AMP / DAC you're using for the AKG's?  I really had absolutely no desire to get neck deep into equipment ...  

I usually use the AKG's with a Maverick Audio D2 DAC (ss outputs) & Keces HA-171 amp but I also use them with some success with a Little Dot MKIII amp (EI 6HM5 yugo drivers). They are fussy and I almost gave up on them until I heard them with the Keces. I have them for sale right now but can't bring myself to sell...

Nov 16, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #12,727 of 23,450
Nov 17, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #12,728 of 23,450

My HD600s are 3 years old and they have the white drivers.

3 years old and lets say  year or 2 in inventory equals several years Any major vendor does not have the old driver in stock. Either way great can with old or new driver some may even prefer the old.

Recently I had the opportunity to audition a quite old pair of 600 with black driver surrounding and it sounded great. I would buy it if it had good ear cushions and headband foam (they literally turned in to pieces when I put them on)...
The sound was great I repeat. If only the spare parts were a little cheaper...
It also didn't have the 6.3mm adapter..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #12,729 of 23,450
Recently I had the opportunity to audition a quite old pair of 600 with black driver surrounding and it sounded great. I would buy it if it had good ear cushions and headband foam (they literally turned in to pieces when I put them on)...
The sound was great I repeat. If only the spare parts were a little cheaper...
It also didn't have the 6.3mm adapter..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Well at least the 6.3mm adapter would have been a cheap fix. Hell, you could outright get a different cable for under $20, that's what I did; got one where the 6.3mm plug just screwed on over the 3.5mm when I need it. Correct if I'm wrong since I haven't looked at the prices, but aren't replacement pads not too expensive? Obviously I'd be talking about ones that probably fall into the knockoff category cuz the ones direct from Sennheiser are pricey.

Nov 17, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #12,731 of 23,450
I too just bought a pair of HD600's and the first thing I noticed is that the clamping force was way more than I thought it would be. I had to bend my metal parts on my HD600's too. 
The HD598's are definitely more comfortable, but they are "close but no cigar" compared to the HD600 in sound quality.     

The most comfortable headphones I have are a pair of Sennheiser HD530-ii's from 1992,
They very light and durable. They have leather like inner head band that touches your head and the outer band that holds the ear cups is plastic. The leather like ear cups go over your ears but no clamping.
I think Sennheiser has gone backwards on comfort. I get them out once and awhile when I want a treat. They are very accurate but most people these days prefer more bass.
The bass is there and tight but your eardrums don't meet in the middle.

Clark  

Nov 17, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #12,732 of 23,450
  I too just bought a pair of HD600's and the first thing I noticed is that the clamping force was way more than I thought it would be. I had to bend my metal parts on my HD600's too. 
The HD598's are definitely more comfortable, but they are "close but no cigar" compared to the HD600 in sound quality.     

The most comfortable headphones I have are a pair of Sennheiser HD530-ii's from 1992,
They very light and durable. They have leather like inner head band that touches your head and the outer band that holds the ear cups is plastic. The leather like ear cups go over your ears but no clamping.
I think Sennheiser has gone backwards on comfort. I get them out once and awhile when I want a treat. They are very accurate but most people these days prefer more bass.
The bass is there and tight but your eardrums don't meet in the middle.

Clark  

Do what @krismusic and many others have suggested over the years. Fully extend your HD600s and bend the metal limbs outward a bit. Just don't do any bending with the plastic parts. I have a small head so I'm not a very good judge for clamping force, but I think the technique works well. Maybe it'll let you use the HD600s more often. The most comfortable headphone I've tried though is probably the HD700 actually. At least with the pair that I tried over the weekend, it wasn't clamping much and while the cups look small, they have the most cavernous interior space I've seen. That's what makes it the best in comfort from what I've put on my head so far.

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #12,733 of 23,450
I just got a pair...and I'm loving how they sound.

Quick question.   Are there two versions of this model (as with the HD650, with the dark and silver drivers)?

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #12,734 of 23,450
  I just got a pair...and I'm loving how they sound.

Quick question.   Are there two versions of this model (as with the HD650, with the dark and silver drivers)?

Yes there are. There's conversation about this on page 848.

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #12,735 of 23,450
Ok so FWIW I just got the Audeze Deckard and compared it side by side with a Vali / Modi 2.  The Vali / Modi 2 wins pretty big time for me.

The air on the trumpets, saxes etc is much more pronounced.  Pure bliss with the 600's.  I'm seriously wondering if I'm going to wind up selling my LCD-3 / Deckard and just keeping the Vali / Modi / HD 600.  Will know today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back