Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jun 13, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #11,836 of 23,454
  Mine are powered by the Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Plus, with the OPA627 & GE5670W Tube upgrades. 

I experienced chills and a little teary-eyed just now, listening to track 16 (https://archive.org/details/damienrice2015-04-14.aud) It sounded soooo good. 

I have simmiliar configuration D1 amp Mod OPA627&GE5670W, good result pair with HD600 .
Waiting for Gustard H10 amp arrive, ...

~ron~

Jun 13, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #11,837 of 23,454
I don't see the problem in spending money on new gear even though you've already got some quality stuff which you could in principle just hold on to and be perfectly happy with.

Personally I am extremely curious when it comes to audio.
How do these headphones sound, how do these sound etc.

Sure, if you just blindly chase gear all the time without really sitting down and enjoying what you have, then it's not a nice situation for you.
But it is actually quite possible to enjoy what you have and enjoy getting new stuff at the same time :)

Jun 13, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #11,838 of 23,454

What do you mean by you have learned not to change headphones?

I've found what I like and have no need to loose sleep over it. If I bought headphones that didn't appeal to me then I wouldn't be happy. The HD600's happen to be a superb deal and I'm more than just happy about them. When I got my HE-500's they were 3 X the price of the HD600's, I'll be keeping them as well. I have some IEMs and portable stuff that I like, I'll keep them as well. For the conceivable future I'm done looking and will spend time listening.

Jun 13, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #11,839 of 23,454
  Guys, I share this post only because I am curious of the reactions and opinions... (If there will be any.)

I am thinking of leaving this hobby.
At least reducing it.

It is a well known fact, it kills our wallet...
And I have less time to spend with music anyway...

So I was thinking of selling most of my audio gear, to free up almost the amount of my monthly wage.
And to buy one universal closed can for some occasional enjoyment...

I think, most audiophiles are going for the most natural and lifelike sound... But you can have fun with not lifelike sound as well... Especially if you are not that much into classical/jazz/live instrumental and vocal... Light kind of contemporary electronic music can be enjoyed with a good closed can, can not be? :)
 So less time and listened music genres and purpose may justify this downgrade...
Also I think "brain burn in" is mightier than most of us think. Brain can get used to certain sound signatures, and think that is the origo where everything can be measured from... But in a week it can get used to another sound signature...

So throw stones at me, but I think with a little compromise in sound quality I will free up my monthly wage...
At least for now...

If you want to leave this hobby, first of all isolate yourself from audiophile news/forums. Never visit head-fi  again. 
Let's say you left this hobby, and after few years you hear that sennheiser has released an upgraded version of HD600. Can you avoid thinking about it????? Can you??? I don't think you can ever stop this hobby if you really enjoyed it...

MY OPINION:
Save a very little amount for hi-fi monthly, and buy something you like every second year.....your pocket will be healthier and you'll be happier.....

Jun 13, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #11,840 of 23,454
  I've found what I like and have no need to loose sleep over it. If I bought headphones that didn't appeal to me then I wouldn't be happy. The HD600's happen to be a superb deal and I'm more than just happy about them. When I got my HE-500's they were 3 X the price of the HD600's, I'll be keeping them as well. I have some IEMs and portable stuff that I like, I'll keep them as well. For the conceivable future I'm done looking and will spend time listening.

Ya see, I'm at that point where I've found stuff I like, but I'm also still curious to find out what other stuff sounds like. My foreseeable future entails trying some new stuff every so often and selling off what isn't right for me.

Jun 13, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #11,841 of 23,454
Ya see, I'm at that point where I've found stuff I like, but I'm also still curious to find out what other stuff sounds like. My foreseeable future entails trying some new stuff every so often and selling off what isn't right for me.

You would probably enjoy going to a meet if one happens near you.

Jun 13, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #11,842 of 23,454

A search for the Holy Grail,a warning, it never ends. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #11,843 of 23,454
You would probably enjoy going to a meet if one happens near you.

I was thinking the same thing. Awkward social skills, but I might give it a shot. There's one coming up at the end of July near me, gonna try to make it there. Can't disconnect anything in my desktop rig, but I still plan to bring a couple of pieces. HD600 is easy(ish) to bring around and I've got a 1Plus2 and Supra 2 someone probably wants to try out
etysmile.gif

A search for the Holy Grail,a warning, it never ends. 
biggrin.gif

No sir it does not haha
biggrin.gif
. The important thing I keep in mind is that I'll likely never find it, but I'll have a helluva lotta fun looking.

Jun 13, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #11,844 of 23,454
I was thinking the same thing. Awkward social skills, but I might give it a shot. There's one coming up at the end of July near me, gonna try to make it there. Can't disconnect anything in my desktop rig, but I still plan to bring a couple of pieces. HD600 is easy(ish) to bring around and I've got a 1Plus2 and Supra 2 someone probably wants to try out :etysmile:

No sir it does not haha :D . The important thing I keep in mind is that I'll likely never find it, but I'll have a helluva lotta fun looking.

Don't worry about the social skills. Audio enthusiasts are as mad as a box of frogs IME. In a good way. At the couple of meets I attended in London I could not believe how open and generous people were. It was just accepted. If you were there you were cool.

Jun 13, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #11,845 of 23,454
Don't worry about the social skills. Audio enthusiasts are as mad as a box of frogs IME. In a good way. At the couple of meets I attended in London I could not believe how open and generous people were. It was just accepted. If you were there you were cool.

Now all I gotta do is wait for like another month and a half.....counting the days haha.

Jun 13, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #11,846 of 23,454

I have simmiliar configuration D1 amp Mod OPA627&GE5670W, good result pair with HD600 .
Waiting for Gustard H10 amp arrive, ...

~ron~

Somewhere down the road, I'd like to add a Little Dot TubeAmp to the system. Probably the MKIII But right now I'm very happy. It all sounds phenomenal to my ears.

Jun 14, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #11,847 of 23,454
So I was listening to my Senns about an hour ago, and it was that moment when everything just seems right and you get that unprecedented experience, nearing euphoria. Just to take it a step further, I rotated the volume knob half an hour to the right, and man... the details... the spatial imaging... It felt like a different pair of phones altogether. My only concern was that it might damage my hearing. You see, the volume level was now almost identical to that of what I used to have when listening to IEMs, but as they are full-sized cans, the sound pressure gave an exaggerated perception. So guys, is it "safe" to listen to them at this level, or should I tone 'em down a bit?
The sound was real juicy though.

Jun 14, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #11,848 of 23,454
So I was listening to my Senns about an hour ago, and it was that moment when everything just seems right and you get that unprecedented experience, nearing euphoria. 

I occasionally experience this with all three of my outputs now. The HD600, the Emotiva Airmotiv 4s, and my new ATH-IM03.

Jun 14, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #11,849 of 23,454
So I was listening to my Senns about an hour ago, and it was that moment when everything just seems right and you get that unprecedented experience, nearing euphoria. Just to take it a step further, I rotated the volume knob half an hour to the right, and man... the details... the spatial imaging... It felt like a different pair of phones altogether. My only concern was that it might damage my hearing. You see, the volume level was now almost identical to that of what I used to have when listening to IEMs, but as they are full-sized cans, the sound pressure gave an exaggerated perception. So guys, is it "safe" to listen to them at this level, or should I tone 'em down a bit?
The sound was real juicy though.

Keep that up and we'll see you over here!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/758167/tinnitus/60#post_11688288

Users who are viewing this thread

Back