Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Apr 11, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #11,176 of 23,455
  Is it right that the HD650 is less neutral than the HD600?
If so, I am wondering why people are paying much more for a less neutral sound.

It's all about difference in sound signature and the quality of that specific sound signature. For example, I don't think I've read anyone say the HD700s are neutral, with many preferring the HD800 or the HD600, but they're over $500. From what I can tell, it might not be neutral, but for whatever sound signature it has, it does it very well and the people that like that sound signature probably really like the HD700.

Apr 11, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #11,178 of 23,455
Just so i get it right:
HD650, HD700-Colored
HD600, HD800-Neutral
Am i right?

Here - these might help:

1. HD600 vs HD700 - I owned both - http://www.head-fi.org/t/725127/comparison-review-a-tale-of-two-sennheisers-hd600-vs-hd700
  2. HD600 vs HD650 - I borrowed a friends HD650 for about 10 days - http://www.head-fi.org/t/740942/comparison-review-part-deux-a-tale-of-two-sennheisers-hd600-vs-hd650
  3. HD600 vs HD800 - short summary of HD800 vs HD600 - http://www.head-fi.org/t/742673/comparison-review-a-tale-of-two-flagships-t1-vs-hd800#post_11052644

The last one should be under the HD800 vs T1 comparison.

All were compared on same equipment (equipment I know well) - and none of them were comparisons in Meet conditions, or done over a short time period.

Apr 11, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #11,179 of 23,455
What's sure is that the HD800 is super bright, They're great besides that

Funnily enough - I don't think they are.  I was expecting extremely bright - but I thought they had extremely good overall balance. The quality and quantity of the bass was what really surprised me.  It had a lot more than I was expecting.

Apr 11, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #11,180 of 23,455
I agree with Brooko, I just rebought the HD600 yesterday and really enjoying them again. Funnily they were my first pair of proper headphones but now with proper amplification they seem to sound a lot better than I remember and the veil is gone too. Extremely balanced sound, IMO a perfectly neutral sound is a little bit brighter, in between the 600 and 800. 

I too have the HD800 and even though the HD800 is miles better technically, the HD600 has a similar, yet very different tone to it. The extra warmth makes it much more relaxing to listen to. They are actually closer in tonality than one would think from what some people say. The HD800 is of course, a bit brighter, but not majorly so. 

Does anybody know whether the newer models do indeed sound different? 

Apr 12, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #11,182 of 23,455
I also tried the foam pad mod and replaced the foam inserts with some thinner material and they sound much faster now. A lot more detailed as well. 

Apr 12, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #11,183 of 23,455
Where there is change someone somewhere will always hear a difference.

Sometimes someone will hear something because they want to. A whole lotta something about nothing, 
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #11,184 of 23,455
Well, it's the opposite behaviour now. The red plug is stiff when trying to remove it from the headphone while the black one is pretty smooth. I guess this is sort of normal behaviour, so I'm keeping the 2nd sample. I've also noticed that the first sample was definitely a sample which had been returned to the store previously. Why? The first sample had some minor damage to the box (small tears), there wasn't a plastic bag covering the box and there was no cable tie around the headphone cable.

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #11,185 of 23,455
  Well, it's the opposite behaviour now. The red plug is stiff when trying to remove it from the headphone while the black one is pretty smooth. I guess this is sort of normal behaviour, so I'm keeping the 2nd sample. I've also noticed that the first sample was definitely a sample which had been returned to the store previously. Why? The first sample had some minor damage to the box (small tears), there wasn't a plastic bag covering the box and there was no cable tie around the headphone cable.

Same was the case with my pair. One smooth as a baby's behind, while the other was a stubborn little guy.

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #11,186 of 23,455
People often say the grip is pretty tight on the HD 600. While there is definitely more clamping pressure than with my HD 598 and HD 590, the headband feels much more comfortable.

Quote:
  Same was the case with my pair. One smooth as a baby's behind, while the other was a stubborn little guy.

Well, I guess I'm not the only one then. Although this 2nd sample is a bit less stiff than the first one.
tongue.gif

Apr 12, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #11,187 of 23,455

Just don't keep removing the cable too often, much less pull it out and push in in rapid succession trying to "fix" that issue - the copper conductors can incur more stress quickly that way.

Apr 12, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #11,189 of 23,455
Just curious as to why anyone would remove the cable other than changing it? Do some of you remove it for storage? I would think repetitive removal would just wear out the connections unnecessarily.

I do this all the time with my HD 590 and HD 598, but these headphones have normal connectors. I do this when I have to go to the toilet or when I'm getting something to drink. It's much easier than taking the headphones off and putting them back on afterwards (since I would have to find the right position again).

Apr 12, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #11,190 of 23,455
Just curious as to why anyone would remove the cable other than changing it? Do some of you remove it for storage? I would think repetitive removal would just wear out the connections unnecessarily.

I would tend to agree with that. I would think taking the headphone off would be easier than detaching the cable, especially in the case of the HD 600 anyhow. Yes connectors wear but I doubt it will make much difference over time. I don't even see the point in removing the cable for storage. But to each his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back