Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Feb 19, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #10,516 of 23,458
  I think anyone who has a Clip should plug it in and give it a try. The problem is your mind knows you're plugging it into the Clip so expectation bias comes into play. I made myself aware of that while listening and to me it sounds fine. Of course, I can't think of a situation where I would use the 600's with a Clip. I use earbuds with that.

I've used my HD600 (and now my HD650) with a clip loads of times and think they sound great. They are more than loud enough for me at 3/4 volume (with the EU volume limiter turned off). I was shocked when I first tried it, as I expected it to sound significantly worse than through my amp (at the timke a Matrix M Stage.)

I guess you may run into problems if you need lots of volume or play music with a very wide dynamic range, but it works very well for me.

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #10,517 of 23,458
I've used my HD600 (and now my HD650) with a clip loads of times and think they sound great. They are more than loud enough for me at 3/4 volume (with the EU volume limiter turned off). I was shocked when I first tried it, as I expected it to sound significantly worse than through my amp (at the timke a Matrix M Stage.)

I guess you may run into problems if you need lots of volume or play music with a very wide dynamic range, but it works very well for me.

Out of sheer curiosity, what source material do you play?

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #10,521 of 23,458

At first I was surprised how well my HD600 worked with my smartphone, however, once I turned up the volume things started to fall apart. I don't listen at low volume levels. 
basshead.gif

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #10,522 of 23,458

My HD600 sucked all around with nearly everything with my iPod 5g, but each new device is a lot better. Totally acceptable out of my iPad2, still listenable with my SGS3; that said playing Norah Jones is a lot more palatable than playing Nightwish with either device driving the HD600.

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #10,523 of 23,458

I envy you.  If I thought the difference in sound between the HD600 and HD800 was small, I would probably have about $20K more cash on hand .... (or more likely spent on another vice, errr.... hobby).

Yeah.. i learned the expensive way that "good enough" is just what it says, everything beyond that level is just expensive.
wink_face.gif

Feb 20, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #10,524 of 23,458
I envy you.  If I thought the difference in sound between the HD600 and HD800 was small, I would probably have about $20K more cash on hand .... (or more likely spent on another vice, errr.... hobby).

The Sound Science forum here has stopped me going down that rabbit hole.

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #10,525 of 23,458

My HD600 sucked all around with nearly everything with my iPod 5g, but each new device is a lot better. Totally acceptable out of my iPad2, still listenable with my SGS3; that said playing Norah Jones is a lot more palatable than playing Nightwish with either device driving the HD600.

iPads actually have lots of power for a mobile device. I remember going to the Apple store a couple years ago to try out the iPad mini 2. I plugged in my ATH-M50 and was blown away at how loud it was, easily overcoming the noise of Grand Central Station at maybe 3/4 volume. With the AKG K545 (my current closed, portable headphone) I would consider 1/2 volume to be normal listening volume. With the volume turned up, it's adequate for the HD600.

I wonder if anyone else listens to a lot of over-compressed garbage (in recording terms, not the music itself) with the HD600. I find that with a lot of my music, my Fiio E07K on 6dB gain can drive the HD600 to very high volumes. I tried out the E07K with two very demanding headphones, the Alpha Prime and Q701, and felt mostly the same way, although the Q needed a little more volume than the Prime or HD600. For most people, a portable amp would suffice for the HD600. Then again, the HD600 is not for "most people". Most people think that Beats are the greatest headphones of all time. I definitely appreciate the extra dynamics and headroom of the E09K when I'm listening to an "audiophile" recording such as Alice In Chains Unplugged.

Feb 20, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #10,526 of 23,458
Hi all.
I posted a few weeks ago about receiving my HD600 and a modi/vali combo. High end seems too tame for my 60 year old ears. It was recommended I try some brighter headphones. I did. Tried a pair of Beyer and a pair of v-moda and a pair of Phipips x1. They were brighter. Problem was I couldn't wear them for any length of time because of comfort. So,I know it's admirable to make an amp neutral,but is there an amp or amp/dac combo that would be brighter than the Schiit combo?
Thanks for any input.

Howard

Feb 20, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #10,527 of 23,458
Which Beyer did you try? I've always heard the DT880 is one of the most comfortable phones around. Can you equalize to get the sound you are looking for? Trying to get there by matching your DAC and amp with a phone to get a specific bright sound is going to be difficult at best, and could get expensive fast

Feb 20, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #10,530 of 23,458
  I don't know why this is so pleasurable with the HD600. Just thought I'd pass it along.

Doesn't do much for me. Then again I'm not a Ferengi. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back