Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Feb 11, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #10,396 of 23,499
Finally ordered the HD600, couldn't pass it up as I got an email from Newegg. I really don't need another pair of headphones but couldn't say no. I had the PX100's and gave them away and also had the HD598 and sold them off so I don't know if I'm a "Senn's" guy but always wanted to try these. 
I have a Keces amp and the seller said it pairs great with the HD600...we will see. Also just ordered a Beresford Capella so hopefully something will click. I'll post after I get them in. I really do hope I like them.

Feb 11, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #10,397 of 23,499
  Finally ordered the HD600, couldn't pass it up as I got an email from Newegg. I really don't need another pair of headphones but couldn't say no. I had the PX100's and gave them away and also had the HD598 and sold them off so I don't know if I'm a "Senn's" guy but always wanted to try these. 
I have a Keces amp and the seller said it pairs great with the HD600...we will see. Also just ordered a Beresford Capella so hopefully something will click. I'll post after I get them in. I really do hope I like them.

The 600's sound signature is completely different from the dark-ish PX100.  598 is closer but loses a lot in refinement to the 600, and to me the 600 has better extension at both ends, and is much more detailed.

Feb 11, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #10,398 of 23,499
  The 600's sound signature is completely different from the dark-ish PX100.  598 is closer but loses a lot in refinement to the 600, and to me the 600 has better extension at both ends, and is much more detailed.

Thanks for the input. I'm hoping I like them. I've never spent so much time deciding if I wanted to purchase a headphone and am praying that one of my amps pairs up well with them. I loved the look and feel of the HD598 but found it veiled and grainy. To be fair I didn't have the amps I have now and was told that the Keces HA-171 amp does really well with the HD600\650. I have a bunch of equipment I can try with them so I'm going to be positive that something good happens. So many people can't be wrong about a headphone. 
BTW how long of a burn-in do these require?

Feb 11, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #10,399 of 23,499
I would agree with your assessment of the 598.  I didn't hear all of the 5xx series, but I wasn't too impressed with any of them and the top of the range gets pretty pricey.  The 558 is probably the only one I heard that I thought was OK for the price.

I don't know how much burn in the 600's need.  Mine sounded mighty good right out of the box after sitting out in the cold on my front porch all day.  I let them warm up to room temp and connected them to my O2 amp and they sounded excellent.  No veil and no grain.  I'm looking forward to seeing how they sound on my Bryston pre-amp with 120 ohm output impedance.  I'm not a huge believer in burn-in though.  Only on my dynaudio 1.3 speakers have I ever noticed it.  I though I made a huge mistake buying them when I first connected them, left them playing and went fishing for the day and when I came home, they sounded fantastic, and that was only about 10 hours of play time.

At worst, you can probably either return the 600's or resell them for just about what you paid for them if you don't like them.  They're always in demand.

Would it be wrong to skip a church function tostay home and  listen to my 600's? lol

Feb 11, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #10,400 of 23,499
  I would agree with your assessment of the 598.  I didn't hear all of the 5xx series, but I wasn't too impressed with any of them and the top of the range gets pretty pricey.  The 558 is probably the only one I heard that I thought was OK for the price.

I don't know how much burn in the 600's need.  Mine sounded mighty good right out of the box after sitting out in the cold on my front porch all day.  I let them warm up to room temp and connected them to my O2 amp and they sounded excellent.  No veil and no grain.  I'm looking forward to seeing how they sound on my Bryston pre-amp with 120 ohm output impedance.  I'm not a huge believer in burn-in though.  Only on my dynaudio 1.3 speakers have I ever noticed it.  I though I made a huge mistake buying them when I first connected them, left them playing and went fishing for the day and when I came home, they sounded fantastic, and that was only about 10 hours of play time.

At worst, you can probably either return the 600's or resell them for just about what you paid for them if you don't like them.  They're always in demand.

Would it be wrong to skip a church function tostay home and  listen to my 600's? lol

I have an O2 as well. I have the JDS Labs O2 with rear RCA's great amp, it was my first real amp and still sounds fantastic!

I would be a hypocrite if I said I hadn't missed a church event but the headphones will be there when you get home...

Feb 11, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #10,401 of 23,499
  I have an O2 as well. I have the JDS Labs O2 with rear RCA's great amp, it was my first real amp and still sounds fantastic!

I would be a hypocrite if I said I hadn't missed a church event but the headphones will be there when you get home...

Mine is a JDS as well.  I only have unity and 2.5x gain on mine, as my other phones are all easy to drive, and I wasn't anticipating the kind of bargains on the Senns that you can get now, so I thought I was set.  

I paid $200 shipped for the 600 (310 amazon price minus 70 for getting amazon credit card and a 40 dollar amazon gift card I got from taking a survey from cars.com).  However with the 2.5 gain and using the Sansa Clip as the source (0.5v out), I got good volume.  I was going to have JDS modify the amp back to 2.5x/ 6.5x, but I may not.

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #10,402 of 23,499
I havent been on head fi for a while but I came just to post this. My new motherboard built in dac and amp on the asrock z97 e-itx sounds really good with my hd 600. It sounds better than my bottlehead crack. The motherboard amp is more detailed than the crack. I compared them Mobo headphone out to hd 600 and lineout to crack and hd 600 . I prefer my mini itx motherboard amp over my crack.

So if anyone is looking for a cheap solution the z97 e-itx motherboard sounds really good the realtek alc 1150 is impressive the ti ne5532 headphone amp is good. I am just blown away by that motherboard for 135$ on newegg.

Edit: the z97 e-itx dac is at least on par with my schiit bifrost.

Feb 11, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #10,403 of 23,499
Just purchased the HD600's 2 weeks ago and added the bifrost into the setup as well.  I've been loving my HD650's for the past year but recently saw the 600's on sale for $250 so I figured at that price I would grab them and see how they compare.  I had previously read Brooko's comparison of the HD600's to the HD650's so I wasn't expecting to hear a huge difference between the two.  After a week of listening I agree 100% with his assessment.  These headphones are more similar than they are different.  

I was the most curious about the bass on the 600's so I tried out a few James Blake songs that have some really good sub-bass...I don't have a great way to A/B these headphones back and forth but to my ears, there wasn't really a discernible difference in bass response between the two hp's.  I have loved the synergy between my 650's and BH Crack and the 600's sounded equally as good paired with the Crack.  That amp is simply built to drive Senn's.  I also tried the 600's on my Little Dot MKIII, and while I preferred them paired with the Crack, the LD drove them just fine and sounded great.  

I know a lot of people seem to prefer the 600's for classical music due to the 600's supposedly being more neutral.  I have listened at length the past several days to a lot of classical music and I really don't prefer one over the other when it comes to this genre.  I think both sound fantastic.  I don't know how helpful this review is, as I seem to be repeating over and over that the 650's and 600's sound fairly identical, but that's my summation after a week with them.  I could keep both of these the rest of my life and not really feel the need to upgrade. The price to performance ratio on these is probably the best I've heard.

If anyone is on the fence about which one to purchase, I really don't think you can go wrong with either one.  I think I slightly prefer the 650's, but I'm biased toward that HP because it's been my main set for over a year.  I'm not exactly sure if I'll hang on to the 600's since they sound so much like the 650's, but for $250 I can live with having a 'backup' pair to my 650's.  

Feb 11, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #10,404 of 23,499
I havent been on head fi for a while but I came just to post this. My new motherboard built in dac and amp on the asrock z97 e-itx sounds really good with my hd 600. It sounds better than my bottlehead crack. The motherboard amp is more detailed than the crack. I compared them Mobo headphone out to hd 600 and lineout to crack and hd 600 . I prefer my mini itx motherboard amp over my crack.

So if anyone is looking for a cheap solution the z97 e-itx motherboard sounds really good the realtek alc 1150 is impressive the ti ne5532 headphone amp is good. I am just blown away by that motherboard for 135$ on newegg.

Edit: the z97 e-itx dac is at least on par with my schiit bifrost.

Perhaps tubes do not float your boat and you prefer the sound of SS

Feb 11, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #10,405 of 23,499
Well I loved tube sound, but now I am all for my little asrock z97 e-itx board that seems to perform.

The crack does seem to give a more natural but less detailed sound.
The TI NE5532 Amp in the asrock motherboard seems to give a very detailed sound and yes it does drive the HD 600 fully.
Off the top of my head, i think it outputs about 20 volts, which is enough to drive the hd 600 bass.

I am very likely hearing the differences in dampening factor.

The only con for the motherboard is I can hear some emi hiss using the lineout through the bottlehead crack but I won't hear it when I connect it straight out of the front headphone out from the motherboard amp.

Feb 11, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #10,406 of 23,499
Hey everyone I'm not quite as much of an expert as most of you are here, but I figured as many of you are hardcore users of the HD 600 you may be able to help on my recommendation thread; how I may be able to make worthwhile upgrades to get the most / best sound from my HD 600's.  

My thread that needs your help!

This site has basically turned me into an audiophile...and made me want the best sound I can get within reason. It made me get some HD 600's on an impulse buy! They're awesome 
jecklinsmile.gif

(P.S - I hope posting my thread here isn't against the forum rules, if so please tell me and I'll remove it when I wake up in the morning)

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #10,407 of 23,499
Hi All.
I need some input. I received my HD600 a few days back. Really like the sound. Very comfortable.I also just received a Modi/Vali combo. I find the high end a little recessed or a lack of detail. I'm over 60 so I know there is some high frequency loss. I emailed Schitt to see if there was another product that may fill my preferences. They said they strive for neutrality. I admire that but.... Any recommendations for an amp/dac combo that might be a little brighter? My listening is done through my laptop. I'd like to stay under $300.00 and find something on Amazon as I have some gift cards. I'm still in the return time frame with Schiit.
Thanks for any input.

Howard

Feb 12, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #10,408 of 23,499
  Hi All.
I need some input. I received my HD600 a few days back. Really like the sound. Very comfortable.I also just received a Modi/Vali combo. I find the high end a little recessed or a lack of detail. I'm over 60 so I know there is some high frequency loss. I emailed Schitt to see if there was another product that may fill my preferences. They said they strive for neutrality. I admire that but.... Any recommendations for an amp/dac combo that might be a little brighter? My listening is done through my laptop. I'd like to stay under $300.00 and find something on Amazon as I have some gift cards. I'm still in the return time frame with Schiit.
Thanks for any input.

Howard

Good products have a flat FR. Try using some EQ or get headphones that are brighter.

Feb 12, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #10,409 of 23,499
I agree with stan, you need brighter headphones. Beyerdynamic dt880 600 ohm are excellent and probably would make you happy. They have higher highs than the hd600,and deeper lows but the bass is not as pronounced as the hd600.

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #10,410 of 23,499
I agree with stan, you need brighter headphones. Beyerdynamic dt880 600 ohm are excellent and probably would make you happy. They have higher highs than the hd600,and deeper lows but the bass is not as pronounced as the hd600.

Or an HD700 which is easy to drive but will cost more.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back