Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 15, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #9,946 of 23,482
I'd argue that if you like flat cans, then bass is equally important to the other two. :wink: 

You could've let that slip you know. :p
For me, the midrange has to have body to it and be well-defined, and the treble needs to compliment the mids so well that I'm left hanging between the two on which do I like more. After seeing majority of the people going all crazy over the bass, I wanted to show some love to the other two. Not focusing much on the bass is like an audiophile pretense that I have. Still, occasionally, I put up a thick track and eq up the low-end to let my skull rattle.

Jan 15, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #9,947 of 23,482
  You will probably never find a perfectly flat pair of cans, or anything near perfect. The HD600's are considered neutral with a talent for mids. That talent for mids is probably not what a metalhead is going to look for as it will undo some of that scoop. You might like a planar magnetic, like an HE-500. Just guessing.

Strangely enough I think these do a lot better for metal than people would think at first. That midbass hump gives kick drums some power, the mids make sure the guitars are powerful and the vox soar. The highs rolled off ever so faintly might result in the hi hats or squealy notes in a guitar solo aren't right up in your face, but so far that hasn't proven a negative in the slightest. I've been mostly putting post metal through them (Isis, The Ocean, Obscure Sphinx types) and holy crap do they work well.

There are two separate feels when it comes to headphone reproduction, and I'll use the HD600 in contrast with the SE846. I know that's an IEM with BA drivers versus a full-sized open-back dynamic, but hear me out. The SE846 doesn't sound "natural" in some regards, particularly with its heavily potent sub-bass. What this does is makes you feel like you're listening to the music through a set of concert amplifiers. It's amazing. When you fire up heavy metal or hip hop it's like you have front row seats and the giant speakers are blowing your head back. The HD600s sound like the instruments themselves, so you're lacking the insane pound of the kicks, the shrieks of the high strings on the guitar, that kind of thing, but it's because you feel like it's just being naturally reproduced.

Which is better? That's not an objective answer. I really like both. Some days I want the music to be more aggressive and like a sledgehammer. Some days I don't. 

Jan 15, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #9,948 of 23,482
You will probably never find a perfectly flat pair of cans, or anything near perfect. The HD600's are considered neutral with a talent for mids. That talent for mids is probably not what a metalhead is going to look for as it will undo some of that scoop. You might like a planar magnetic, like an HE-500. Just guessing.

Those were my initial thoughts. I was leaning towards Grado. Initially I was not WOWed, and that's coming from $30 cheapos. But recently, I've become enamored of the Senns and even started listening to classical and other mid-centric music.

Jan 15, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #9,949 of 23,482

Which is better? That's not an objective answer. I really like both. Some days I want the music to be more aggressive and like a sledgehammer. Some days I don't. 

Moody, ain't 'ya 
biggrin.gif
 Heck there's no reason not to have more than one set of cans to suite your needs.
You ever try the HE-500's? I have them as well as HD600's. I like both.

Jan 15, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #9,950 of 23,482
Hey just wanted to jump in.  Really enjoying my Sennys and Magni 2.  Just wondering if the HD650 cable upgrade is worth the $$ for my HD600s.  Or some of the other more expensive cable upgrades I've seen for that matter?  Is there seriously a difference in sonic quality?  StanD, I'm not trying to scare anyone this time, I swear.

Jan 15, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #9,951 of 23,482
  Hey just wanted to jump in.  Really enjoying my Sennys and Magni 2.  Just wondering if the HD650 cable upgrade is worth the $$ for my HD600s.  Or some of the other more expensive cable upgrades I've seen for that matter?  Is there seriously a difference in sonic quality?  StanD, I'm not trying to scare anyone this time, I swear.

popcorn.gif

Short answer - decide for yourself. Some swear by it, science disagrees with them. The magic might be there for you and your ears.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/504503/is-it-really-worth-upgrading-sennheiser-hd-580-600-650-cables

Jan 15, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #9,953 of 23,482
  Moody, ain't 'ya 
biggrin.gif
 Heck there's no reason not to have more than one set of cans to suite your needs.
You ever try the HE-500's? I have them as well as HD600's. I like both.

Moody? O_o Not, uh, not sure why you said that part.

I've tried the HE-500s, really wasn't a fan. FAR too dang bright to my ears. My open-back experience goes like this: LCD-2.2 (pre-fazor), Philips X1, HD600 that I've owned. HE-400/500/6, HD650, HD800, tons of Grados that I've taken for a test run. I've noticed I never have certain products for certain genres. It's more like when I want a KIND of sound I stick with something for a while. 

The weird thing is that while the LCD-2.2 are obviously a better headphone, for some reason I'm enjoying the HD600s more. I cannot explain why. It might be the fit/comfort, might be the more easygoing sound, not sure. Possibly because they're so amazing for the price that I don't feel like I have to be "getting my money's worth" with them, I can just toss them on my head and have a good time. Dunno!

Jan 15, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #9,955 of 23,482

popcorn.gif

Short answer - decide for yourself. Some swear by it, science disagrees with them. The magic might be there for you and your ears.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/504503/is-it-really-worth-upgrading-sennheiser-hd-580-600-650-cables

The only thing I disagree with is all the buzzwords. Material on an analogue cable as well as integrity of construction can definitely make a difference. But if you're spending $850 on a Cardas cable for $400 HD600s (retail) you're doing something wildly incorrect. A quote I liked was that cables should never be more than 5% of your sound budget. If you're spending more than that, you should be upgrading some of the actual components. 

Jan 15, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #9,956 of 23,482

The only thing I disagree with is all the buzzwords. Material on an analogue cable as well as integrity of construction can definitely make a difference. But if you're spending $850 on a Cardas cable for $400 HD600s (retail) you're doing something wildly incorrect. A quote I liked was that cables should never be more than 5% of your sound budget. If you're spending more than that, you should be upgrading some of the actual components. 

Durability is the biggest flaw of cheap cables IMO. A couple buddies got together and A/B'd monster cables with coat hangers and couldn't tell the difference. But if you have really expensive gear, I can see why you would want a nice quality cable. Weakest link and all that.

http://consumerist.com/2008/03/03/do-coat-hangers-sound-as-good-monster-cables/

Jan 15, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #9,957 of 23,482
  Durability is the biggest flaw of cheap cables IMO. A couple buddies got together and A/B'd monster cables with coat hangers and couldn't tell the difference. But if you have really expensive gear, I can see why you would want a nice quality cable. Weakest link and all that.

http://consumerist.com/2008/03/03/do-coat-hangers-sound-as-good-monster-cables/

^^

I bought a handmade custom cable for my LCD-2.2's not because it would make some amazing sound difference but because the things were hand woven and extremely sturdy versus the annoyingly weak Audeze stock. 

Jan 15, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #9,958 of 23,482

Moody? O_o Not, uh, not sure why you said that part.

I've tried the HE-500s, really wasn't a fan. FAR too dang bright to my ears. My open-back experience goes like this: LCD-2.2 (pre-fazor), Philips X1, HD600 that I've owned. HE-400/500/6, HD650, HD800, tons of Grados that I've taken for a test run. I've noticed I never have certain products for certain genres. It's more like when I want a KIND of sound I stick with something for a while. 

The weird thing is that while the LCD-2.2 are obviously a better headphone, for some reason I'm enjoying the HD600s more. I cannot explain why. It might be the fit/comfort, might be the more easygoing sound, not sure. Possibly because they're so amazing for the price that I don't feel like I have to be "getting my money's worth" with them, I can just toss them on my head and have a good time. Dunno!

Moody, I was just kidding. I've listened to many different high end cans aand still want to listen to the HD600's. I didn't find the HD800's anywhere near $1100 better, although I was tempted......I also like my HE-500's, those two will do for now.

Jan 15, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #9,959 of 23,482
  Moody, I was just kidding. I've listened to many different high end cans aand still want to listen to the HD600's. I didn't find the HD800's anywhere near $1100 better, although I was tempted......I also like my HE-500's, those two will do for now.

Ah! My bad, haha.

It's funny, but you're right. I really liked the HD800 but I don't feel like they were this big upgrade, especially considering I've read they're finicky about what amp to pair them with. I've got the X1s for when I want a thicker, bassier sound, but overall I'm seriously amazed by these.

Listening to Slaves' "Where's Your Car, Debbie?" EP and I'd be hard pressed to say these are bass-light. 

Jan 15, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #9,960 of 23,482

^^

I bought a handmade custom cable for my LCD-2.2's not because it would make some amazing sound difference but because the things were hand woven and extremely sturdy versus the annoyingly weak Audeze stock. 

I can't wait to try the LCD2 :)

I was just quoted $799 for a brand new bamboo pair, but I might wait a few months. I'm really enjoying my 600's atm anyway, so why rush it? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back