Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 14, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #9,421 of 23,456
Okay. I did get it to work, but it cost me a lot of time because the original post did not include the VITAL information that you needed to go through slickdeals. I tried 12 times. I really am looking forward to these and appreciate the heads up, but why is it so hard to simply communicate the necessary steps first. The adorama link was not enough.

Dec 14, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #9,422 of 23,456
Okay. I did get it to work, but it cost me a lot of time because the original post did not include the VITAL information that you needed to go through slickdeals. I tried 12 times. I really am looking forward to these and appreciate the heads up, but why is it so hard to simply communicate the necessary steps first. The adorama link was not enough.

Sorry to hear that. That's the most important step to making the coupon work, as mentioned under the Slickdeals description. For anyone still looking to get in on the deal, first go through the link below. I'm assuming it expires after today based on the promo code: SD12142014

http://slickdeals.net/f/7508400-sennheiser-hd600-audiophile-dynamic-headphones-260-free-shipping

Dec 14, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #9,423 of 23,456

I did not go through Slickdeals, just opened Adorama link directly and it worked for me.

Dec 14, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #9,425 of 23,456
I did not go through Slickdeals, just opened Adorama link directly and it worked for me.

How odd and frustratingly inconsistent. Well, I finally did get it to work and am so happy about that.

Madwolfa, by the way, you are responsible for me getting a new cable for my HD-650s. It is absolutely outstanding. I would fulminate about it for hours but must restrain myself; thank you :)

Dec 14, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #9,427 of 23,456
Madwolfa, by the way, you are responsible for me getting a new cable for my HD-650s. It is absolutely outstanding. I would fulminate about it for hours but must restrain myself; thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

You're welcome, glad you like it!

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #9,428 of 23,456
  I'm driving my headphones with a FiiO E10K amp/dac. This volume pot goes to 8 and I usually have it set between 1 and 4 for music. Does that mean the E10K has more than enough power to drive these phones? Feeling a bit of insecurity because in the specs, this amp is rated for 16-150 ohm headphones and I don't have a reference for what adequately powered 600's should sound like.

Yeah, the E10K is perfectly fine for driving the HD600. It is not a 'hard' headphone to drive, despite the 300 ohm impedence. I use an E10 and used to have a Matrix M Stage, and the HD600 didn't sound any better to me on the more powerful amp.

If it sounds good to you, then you're fine!

Dec 15, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #9,429 of 23,456
Quote:
 Originally Posted by sinnottj /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, the E10K is perfectly fine for driving the HD600. It is not a 'hard' headphone to drive, despite the 300 ohm impedence. I use an E10 and used to have a Matrix M Stage, and the HD600 didn't sound any better to me on the more powerful amp.

If it sounds good to you, then you're fine!

Thank you! I just needed the confirmation. I also noticed it gets plenty loud enough with my iPad 2 and tiny Sansa Clip+. I was a little confused because almost everybody talks about it in conjunction with a powerful amplifier.

Dec 15, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #9,430 of 23,456
  Quote:
Thank you! I just needed the confirmation. I also noticed it gets plenty loud enough with my iPad 2 and tiny Sansa Clip+. I was a little confused because almost everybody talks about it in conjunction with a powerful amplifier.

That's because in some cases some amps (broadly defined) have way too much THD when they're making the amount of power that the HD600 needs, which is presenting a relatively stiff 300ohms. My old CMOY absolutely sucked with them and so did my iPod and Galaxy S - all of them sounded too dark and the bass was bloated (it's a lot less noticeable when the earpads are new; but exacerbates the effect of worn out earpads).

My iPad2 however did well enough when the power was out (I'm using a D-Zero for my work laptop now, and for when the power's out, and it's a little bit better), and even my SGS3 is actually good enough if I have nothing else (of course, it still lacks the tonal depth, tightness, and overall impact of bass from my Meier Cantate, but for the most part it doesn't have glaring flaws).

Basically it isn't raw power (nor current) that is lacking, but producing whatever the HD600 needs at low distortion levels, which in some cases becomes a problem depending on how the high impedance affects the output of whatever kind of amp it's hooked up to. In other cases, people just like using extremely overbuilt amps (I stop at slight "overbuilt"), and/or don't realize that when they compare amps they didn't level match, making the slightly louder amp sound "better."

Dec 15, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #9,431 of 23,456
Did any of you guys burn in your 600's before listening? I just came across a thread that says you should play bass-heavy music on a new pair for 2 days straight before even putting them on your head :S

Dec 15, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #9,432 of 23,456
  Did any of you guys burn in your 600's before listening? I just came across a thread that says you should play bass-heavy music on a new pair for 2 days straight before even putting them on your head :S

Suggest you read this article : http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/measurement-and-audibility-headphone-break , especially the conclusions on page 4.  The Q701 Tyll tested was notoriously suggested to need 100's of hours "break-in".  The actual measurements suggest that the so called night and day differences are actually extremely subtle.

Personally I've never experienced headphone break-in - and that includes comparing the same model brand new vs one that's 6 or more months old.

I do believe in brain burn-in though - the ability of our brain to adjust over time to a new sound signature.

My advice - use the headphones rather than going through a burn-in process.  That way your brain gets used to them quicker + you'll get all the enjoyment from them straight away.  But to quote Tyll (from the article):

If you do want to break-in your cans, I suggest pink noise at a slightly louder than normal listening level. If you don't have a pink noise track, just play music. If they sound lousy out of the box, but they start sounding a lot better as you listen to them over time, it's your amazingly versatile brain figuring out how to cope with the world.
The miracle is in your head ... not in the headphones.

Dec 15, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #9,433 of 23,456

They are just headphones... What will it happen if you put new headphones on your head? The worst case senario is that you'll get almost the same sound as the burned in headphones, which is going to be very good. 
Just listen to music. Your ears/mind will adjust and change more than the headphones will. 

Dec 15, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #9,434 of 23,456

Suggest you read this article : http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/measurement-and-audibility-headphone-break , especially the conclusions on page 4.  The Q701 Tyll tested was notoriously suggested to need 100's of hours "break-in".  The actual measurements suggest that the so called night and day differences are actually extremely subtle.

Personally I've never experienced headphone break-in - and that includes comparing the same model brand new vs one that's 6 or more months old.

I do believe in brain burn-in though - the ability of our brain to adjust over time to a new sound signature.

My advice - use the headphones rather than going through a burn-in process.  That way your brain gets used to them quicker + you'll get all the enjoyment from them straight away.  But to quote Tyll (from the article):

I agree with this very much as I do not hear any differences over time between headphones. In fact, a driver should not change too much over time or else this would suggest major issues with the driver's structural integrity. In general, the comparison graphs of headphones with and without burn-in show a 1/4 to a 1/3 decibel difference in sound response in perhaps one or two peaks or rises. In practice, this will be impossible to detect by any test subject because the human ear can only notice differences of 3 decibels or greater with confidence. Some proponents of burn-in will use the video below to support their claims but they fail to realize manufacturing variations and pad wear are most likely the real reason that Tyll was able to tell the difference rather than actual changes in the headphone driver itself:

Dec 15, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #9,435 of 23,456

To echo the ongoing theme, why let overactive immaginations get in the way of enjoying new headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back