Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 11, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #9,391 of 23,482
After years of enduring me sleeping on them, dropping them on hard floor, tangling on the cable and what not, the HD600 has finally broken and even that is just one side breaking up which is probably the cable being worn but shh, I'm looking for an excuse to buy another :) What a durable headphone!

Gifting myself Brand New HD600! Happy Holidays.

Dec 12, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #9,392 of 23,482
I've had my HD600 for about a year. While I enjoyed many of the positives discussed in this thread, I didn't love the cans. Liked them a lot, but that last bit of satisfaction was lacking. Most of the time I drove them with a Vio V200, and sometimes with a Corda Concerto. Neither combo really did it for me. It felt like the cans were almost stuck to the head, sonically, with limited staging abilities. Then, a couple of months back, I picked up another Little Dot mkIII. I had one before and didn't really care for it, but the offer included a number of tube choices and a price that was hard to refuse. To make a long story much shorter, I absolutely love - no, loooove - the LDIII/HD600 combo. While I still prefer the other amplifiers with most of my HPs, the HD600 now only see tubes. The staging issue is gone, the cans have more life to them without sounding etched or exaggerated. It's as if I got a new set of truly superb headphones. Listening to the combo at this very moment playing a HD file. Stunning sound quality.

Dec 12, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #9,393 of 23,482
Guys, how do I unscrew metal headband part form headband?
It is connected to plastic earcup holder with some kind of screw or nut (some sort of metal nut with 3 very small grooves).
Right side is too tight, I d like to loosen it a bit.

EDIT: here s the picture of right earcup

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #9,394 of 23,482
  Got my HD600.

Guys, is it normal if I wiggle cable (both can wiggle just a bit) connector and I hear cracking (as if it looses contact)?
Only left headphone connector does that.

Also my left headphone seems to turn a lot harder (I ll disassemble hp and clean them good).

Quote from the Head-Fi guide:

"Troubleshooting/Known Issues:
Some HD 600s are known to ship with the cable inserted loosely. This can cause the sound to cut out of either side when the cable is moved. To fix this, push the cable in hard, not just a little hard, but push it in with the angry fist of a god hard. Once it's in hard, it should stay that way on it's own."

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #9,395 of 23,482
I've had my HD600 for about a year. While I enjoyed many of the positives discussed in this thread, I didn't love the cans. Liked them a lot, but that last bit of satisfaction was lacking. Most of the time I drove them with a Vio V200, and sometimes with a Corda Concerto. Neither combo really did it for me. It felt like the cans were almost stuck to the head, sonically, with limited staging abilities. Then, a couple of months back, I picked up another Little Dot mkIII. I had one before and didn't really care for it, but the offer included a number of tube choices and a price that was hard to refuse. To make a long story much shorter, I absolutely love - no, loooove - the LDIII/HD600 combo. While I still prefer the other amplifiers with most of my HPs, the HD600 now only see tubes. The staging issue is gone, the cans have more life to them without sounding etched or exaggerated. It's as if I got a new set of truly superb headphones. Listening to the combo at this very moment playing a HD file. Stunning sound quality.

Congrats on finding an awesome amp. pairing.  

Dec 12, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #9,396 of 23,482
Oh... oh god....
basshead.gif

Finally have this running.  Setup is an Air/PC > Modi > Magni > HD600

I do not even have the words.  Music has changed for me forever.  If it gets better than this my wallet doesn't want to hear it.

Dec 12, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #9,397 of 23,482
I just got an hd600 and cmoybb played from my note 3 phone. Even running a portable and using stock android dac these cans are amazing. Almost didn't like the sound at first, came off as hollow. But for whatever the reason, about 5 hrs of listening today they definitely sound very nice. Deep, deep bass when called for and such detail in the music I have not experienced before. Very cool.

Dec 12, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #9,398 of 23,482
  Oh... oh god....
basshead.gif

I do not even have the words.  Music has changed for me forever.  If it gets better than this my wallet doesn't want to hear it.

Your wallet's gonna wanna keep you away from some of the pages on this site. And has it slapped you yet for the Schiit stack?
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #9,399 of 23,482

Quote from the Head-Fi guide:

"Troubleshooting/Known Issues:
Some HD 600s are known to ship with the cable inserted loosely. This can cause the sound to cut out of either side when the cable is moved. To fix this, push the cable in hard, not just a little hard, but push it in with the angry fist of a god hard. Once it's in hard, it should stay that way on it's own."

Thank you, I don't even want to say how long I've had my 600s with loose connectors. 
confused_face.gif

Dec 13, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #9,400 of 23,482
I decided to put the HD 600 drivers in my old HD 545 black screen housing to see what effect the black screen has compared to the silver screen on the sound. The black screen caused the drivers to sound a bit leaner, brighter, more open, but also more sibilant and etched in the treble.

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #9,402 of 23,482
I skipped the smaller Schiits and went straight for Asgard 2/ Bifrost Uber, a decision I am still glad I made today. Now my qualms exist with DSD and a portable setup. Future money for me to burn is probably going to be iBassoDX90 combo with iFi Micro iDSD and portable custom IEMs

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #9,403 of 23,482
Yeah I like that the Modi/Magni are still small enough that they're somewhat portable.  Had I known the O2/ODAC combo was going to be a black friday sale item I might have gotten them on that reasoning alone but oh well.  I like the look of the Schiit's and the HD600's arent something I can really take to work.  Maybe I'll eventually get a home setup with the bigger Asgard/Bifrost and take those and some other cans to work.

See there goes my wallet again!

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #9,404 of 23,482
  Oh... oh god....
basshead.gif

Just surrender, then take your plastic out of the wallet and toss aside the cowhide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back