Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 9, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #9,376 of 23,456
  Anyone have the Mad Dogs (or MD Pro) and the HD600?

I'm looking for an open headphone to compliment my Mad Dog Pros, they'll be running off the same amps - the Modi/Magni and Little Dot 1+ with Voshkod tubes. Looking for an open sound with more clarity, detail, treble sparkle than the Mad Dog Pros.

Would the HD600 fill his slot for me? Looking for a solution under 400 dollars, upgrading to the Alpha Dog is an option for me in the future, but I'm really just loving the pros for now so was hoping to get the clarity and detail from an open phone instead. From what I've read it sounds like the HD600 and the Alpha Dogs trade blows for detail/clarity depending on the track as well.

This is pretty much gonna be end game for me, might upgrade the amp and dac way down the road, but it's not really a priority.

It all depends on what sort of detail you're after and your listening preferences. I have not heard any planars yet so I cannot say anything about the Alpha Dog but I can conjecture logically about it. The HD600 comes across more warm than K701/K702/Q701 because it doesn't have a treble peak/emphasis. This same line of reasoning would apply to the DT880 and DT990. I would say the DT880 or a K701/K702/Q701 would probably suit you better since they are, again based on my understanding, different enough from your Alpha Dogs. However, demoing is always a better option because only you can truly answer this question for yourself. A few online retailers like HeadRoom and Adorama have a full 30-day, money-back guarantee minus shipping fees. The Headphone Lending Library is another option. You just pay a 5% nonrefundable deposit plus shipping and handling to try the headphones. If you like them, you pay the remaining balance of the cost. Otherwise, you can use the amount of the deposit towards another purchase or another lending period.

Dec 9, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #9,377 of 23,456
  I got the Schiit Asgard 2 and Schiit Modi and my dream is to have the Schiit Mjolnir and Gungnir. Sucks for me.
I'm craving so much detail for some reason. Saving up for the Bifrost Uber hopefully ill hear some slight improvements.

I was also contemplating the T90 as a potential headphone. I have read it is scaringly detailed for the price and its midrange and bass are close in tone to the HD800. I've seen them for $399.00 here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynamic-T-90-Premium-Stereo-Open-Back-Headphone-PROAUDIOSTAR-/301342346458?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item4629674cda

You may be itching for another headphone. That is another headphone, besides the T1 and the HE-560, that I want to demo during the next year.

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #9,378 of 23,456
Hi there, I´m a new happy owner of these magnificent hp, I just got them yesterday (Adorama BF deal) and must say they are great even without burn-in. I just plugged them in and started listening to some music (Adele, Guns and Roses, ´Pharell Williams, linkin park, etc) I really like them so far, I´ve been able to just sit and relax. Currently pairing them with CEntrance DACport.

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #9,379 of 23,456
Got my HD600.

Guys, is it normal if I wiggle cable (both can wiggle just a bit) connector and I hear cracking (as if it looses contact)?
Only left headphone connector does that.

Also my left headphone seems to turn a lot harder (I ll disassemble hp and clean them good).

Dec 9, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #9,380 of 23,456
Does anyone have or heard a Keces HA-171 amp with the HD600? If so impressions? 

thanks

Dec 9, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #9,381 of 23,456
I sort of have a love/hate relationship with the HD600.

I bought these quite some time ago, and they sound marvelous, they really do.

The vocals are really nice, crisp, clean, airy and close and personal.

The Senn's soundstage and air separation is different. It's forward, it's nice, it has terrific detail retrieval, without ever being harsh.

Mids are super lush. You can hear the mood of each and every artists, by the breathing, the highs, the tongue turns, the whispers, etc...

The main problem i have with these headphones is that they get loud way too easily.

I barely even turn the volume knob on my tube amp, and they get pretty loud.

While, on the other hand, my beyerdynamic dt990's, I am comfortable with cranking the volume up and enjoying "more of the music presence"  If you guys catch my drift?

I'm not gonna sell these HD600's because they are special to me, they are my reference headphone. They do down-tempo, slow/medium paced vocal trance, 80's rock/classical/jazz/blues music really really well.

I just wish they weren't so sensitive that i have to keep adjusting / lowering my volume on my music (even on music albums) every now and then.

Dec 9, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #9,382 of 23,456

The Senn's soundstage and air separation is different. It's forward, it's nice, it has terrific detail retrieval, without ever being harsh.

Mids are super lush. You can hear the mood of each and every artists, by the breathing, the highs, the tongue turns, the whispers, etc...

The main problem i have with these headphones is that they get loud way too easily.

While, on the other hand, my beyerdynamic dt990's, I am comfortable with cranking the volume up and enjoying "more of the music presence"  If you guys catch my drift?

I'm not gonna sell these HD600's because they are special to me, they are my reference headphone. They do down-tempo, slow/medium paced vocal trance, 80's rock/classical/jazz/blues music really really well.

I just wish they weren't so sensitive that i have to keep adjusting / lowering my volume on my music (even on music albums) every now and then.

You can reduce the sensitivity with an LPAD. This consists of two resistors per channel forming a voltage divider/attenuator. Maybe you can find somethjing premade for a 300 Ohm load impedance.

Dec 9, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #9,383 of 23,456

Curious. They are high impedance 'phones, and reasonably efficient, but not extremely so. What's your setup? I'm wondering if you might be double amping them or something.
Also, on the other hand - where's the problem with having a low setting on your volume knob, if you still have a good range of volume, and assuming your amp does not have volume related channel balance issues?

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #9,384 of 23,456
  Are the HD 600's great with low level detail/detail and refinement, I have them lol, but I'm starting to question whether they are even that detailed I don't even know if its just all in my head. I am a detail freak but I've heard there not that detailed at all compared to most cans?

I actually feel that the HD600 is excellent at retrieving low-level detail. Although it is very dependent on the quality of upstream components. It's clearly not as good as something like the HD800 at picking up that information but it's up there.

Obviously if you're looking for fake or "gross" detail that comes as a result of shifting towards a brighter tonal balance...well go ahead and find something that gives you that. You'll be sacrificing correct tonal balance though.

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #9,385 of 23,456

I actually feel that the HD600 is excellent at retrieving low-level detail. Although it is very dependent on the quality of upstream components. It's clearly not as good as something like the HD800 at picking up that information but it's up there.

Obviously if you're looking for fake or "gross" detail that comes as a result of shifting towards a brighter tonal balance...well go ahead and find something that gives you that. You'll be sacrificing correct tonal balance though.

I assume fake detail being from ATH-M50's for example? They seem to have more detail than the HD 600 but I'm guessing due to there brighter sound characteristics like what you said.

Dec 10, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #9,386 of 23,456
  I assume fake detail being from ATH-M50's for example? They seem to have more detail than the HD 600 but I'm guessing due to there brighter sound characteristics like what you said.

I personally never felt the ATH-M50's were detailed. I prefer the much more neutral M40X's (not to be confused with older M40) to them. In either case, both of them seem to lack some air and definition, the M40X to a lesser degree and the M50 to a much greater degree.

Related to that, the only closed headphone I have ever heard come close to being detailed like opened ones are the SRH940. The downside with those was the gapping hole in the mid-bass and its treble peak. Interestingly enough, one positive thing I can say about them is I find the treble peak less offensive and more entertaining than the Q701's, the DT880's and DT990's. Everything else about them just didn't jive quite right together. The SRH940 was an experience made up of thinness and a slightly warm, neutral midrange.

The SRH940 felt lifeless even when properly amped and on a killer source. I found it bizarre someone spammed the Internet forums with a review stating it sounds like the HD800. They are not even close besides having a bright treble. Maybe on a bad source or amp, you could come to that conclusion. The SRH940 lacks many decibels of bass impact and foundation in the low- and mid-bass. The SRH940's treble is not even as resolving or as filled-out in the lower and uppermost ends as the HD600, let alone the HD800.

After seeing that oddball SRH940 review, I am very wary of the authors I look to for audio reviews. I trust Brooko, Skylab and Tyll (realizing he has a preference for darker headphones), for example. It seems to have paid off in the end because I found the HD600 which I am very comfortable with sonically speaking. I also make it a point to demo whenever I can. It can be somewhat of a task to find places to demo where I live, however. Or I share and read impressions in threads like these and I try doing reverse headphone psychology. A dozen of so headphones later, it has managed to work out, because I have found a headphone that I don't have to mentally justify or take long to adjust to. The HD600 just sounds like the real thing, and the joy of searching in the hobby can be put on hiatus while the greater joy of listening goes on and on.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back