Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 21, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #9,211 of 23,456
The HD650 cable is definitely the better cable, construction-wise.

I always buy direct from Sennheiser USA, the prices are as low as possible and the service is fine.

I think that the HD650 cable sounded subtly different from the HD600 cable - clearer, smoother, slightly deeper bass. Why the two cables might sound slightly different is anyone's guess, but it could have something to do with the improved plug connector fittings on the HD650 cable.

Upgrading to the HD650 cable is a worthwhile venture.

Nov 22, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #9,212 of 23,456
Man, after doing the bending the metal method to reduce clamp, I still can't help but feeling very uncomfortable after like 10~15mins of usage. The pressure towards the bottom of my ears(not the ears) is really unbearable to me even after bending the metal a lot. Not sure if this is normal for HD600 user. After coming from a Grado(which is even more uncomfortable), I thought the comfort of the HD600 is a really huge improvement, but now I actually prefer the comfortness of Grado for some reason.

Nov 22, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #9,213 of 23,456
Man, after doing the bending the metal method to reduce clamp, I still can't help but feeling very uncomfortable after like 10~15mins of usage. The pressure towards the bottom of my ears(not the ears) is really unbearable to me even after bending the metal a lot. Not sure if this is normal for HD600 user. After coming from a Grado(which is even more uncomfortable), I thought the comfort of the HD600 is a really huge improvement, but now I actually prefer the comfortness of Grado for some reason.
That's a great shame. Maybe you will get used to them? Try listening for just a few minutes at a time to build up tolerance? Otherwise maybe these lovely cans are just not for you. :frowning2: Comfort is so important to enjoyment.

Nov 22, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #9,214 of 23,456
That's a great shame. Maybe you will get used to them? Try listening for just a few minutes at a time to build up tolerance? Otherwise maybe these lovely cans are just not for you.
frown.gif
Comfort is so important to enjoyment.

I really love the sound so much that I don't think I would want to change to other headphones. Even after listening to it for a minute or two, I can already feel the pressure, not sure if it's because of the clamp or the pad, though it's a used set of HD600. I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

Nov 22, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #9,215 of 23,456

I didn't think there was difference between the 600 and 650 cable and it looks like the Sennheiser guys confirmed that for you. I will say however that yeah, it's definitely better built than the 600 cable. My bro has a set of 650s so I given it a go before. I ended up getting a different aftermarket cable though because the stock cables for either set of headphones are way too long for my liking. Senn really should make a shorter cable as an alternative to their standard longer one.

Midgetguy,

Do you mind if I ask where you got the replacement cable,and how much did it run you
As I,m a newbie with the 600,and this thread,I'm reading way too much about Cardas,but I don't want to spend so much money ,that I'll have to mortgage my house.-Is it that good?
Actually,I'm very very happy with the stock 600 cable,it is a bit long though ,as stated

Nov 22, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #9,216 of 23,456
  Sold mine two days ago.  It seems once you go planar/electrostat, you can't go back.  
smile.gif

For me, at least.

I don,t know about that
I have the stax 009,s,and I'm currently having a KGST amp built,so I've been soundless since October.
I bought a pair HD600,s ,got them 2 days ago,connected them to my PA2V2 amp,and I,m astounded,one of the finest headphones ,I,ve heard in a long time-{for the price}
Each day I plug these in,I,m truly amazed
I wish I bought these 2 years ago ,when I started this hobby,every genre of music I throw at it,comes out pure/clean/& detailed
I love these Headphones

Nov 22, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #9,217 of 23,456

Sorry to hear that mate 
frown.gif

How are you positioning them around you ears? Ideally, the pads should be positioned forward and slightly low down, rather than perfectly centred on your ears. This is meant to give the best sound, and perhaps it'll improve the comfort ...

Nov 22, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #9,218 of 23,456
I didn't think there was difference between the 600 and 650 cable and it looks like the Sennheiser guys confirmed that for you. I will say however that yeah, it's definitely better built than the 600 cable. My bro has a set of 650s so I given it a go before. I ended up getting a different aftermarket cable though because the stock cables for either set of headphones are way too long for my liking. Senn really should make a shorter cable as an alternative to their standard longer one.

Which aftermarket cable did you get? I assume from your post that you purchased a shorter one, which I am currently in the market for as well. Not looking to spend an awful lot, though (say, $50).

Nov 22, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #9,219 of 23,456
I don,t know about that
I have the stax 009,s,and I'm currently having a KGST amp built,so I've been soundless since October.
I bought a pair HD600,s ,got them 2 days ago,connected them to my PA2V2 amp,and I,m astounded,one of the finest headphones ,I,ve heard in a long time-{for the price}
Each day I plug these in,I,m truly amazed
I wish I bought these 2 years ago ,when I started this hobby,every genre of music I throw at it,comes out pure/clean/& detailed
I love these Headphones

Gotta love that PA2V2, man. That little guy can handle a lot!

Nov 22, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #9,220 of 23,456
I watched Porcupine Tree's Anesthetize concert on BluRay on my home theater yesterday and I think it may be the best-sounding (rock) recording I have ever heard. Percussion was simply amazing (kick drum punch is the most realistic I've ever experienced at home) and the bass was deep and strong without any bloat. If you haven't seen/heard this concert, I highly recommend it!

So this morning I sat in my living room and streamed my 24 bit rip of the DVD (the BluRay case also includes a DVD) to my Peachtree Nova and HD 600's. I've never heard my 600's sound better. They obviously couldn't match the dynamics and soundstage of my home theater, but they sounded very, very good.

I can't imagine there being much room for improvement with any other headphone.

I am so glad I went through all the effort to audition so many different setups to end up with the HD 600! I really love them.

Very well put,Palmfish.,

Just got my 600 a few days ago,& I absolutely love it ,it has to be the most involving headphone I,ve even heard,and,I,ve had/and do have,some really nice cans.
I'm currently waiting on a KGST,to be built for my Stax setup,and I was so tired of not having any music to listen to,I bought the 600 on a whim,& the seller was so pleasant to deal with.,price $250.00 used with new grille & pads.
When I got delivery,I conected them to an old PA2V2,the only other amp I have,and within 15 minutes,I was stunned,by the clarity,smoothness/detail.
Now I,m a bit,I say,a bit down that I ever dropped $8K,on the Stax rig.
I could easily live with the HD600.
An outstanding headphone

Mike

Nov 22, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #9,221 of 23,456
Geez. They should NOT
be uncomfortable. Do not settle for "getting used" to it. Stretch em some more. I have 2 hd600's and 1 big head, and mine were instantly comfortable. My used one had less clamp, and I stretched my new one a little bit, but they're each comfortable & have low clamping force.

Nov 22, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #9,222 of 23,456
  I wouldn't say you need a $400 amp with these. I had the HD600 with my PPAv2 amp and they sounded wonderful.

+2 on that one.
Just got my HD600,and I'm using the PA2V2 as wel,,l{think it cost me $60.00}...and it is perfect

Nov 22, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #9,223 of 23,456
I was tooling around on craigslist and found a pair of hd600 for 70 bucks! So they made a great gift to a great friend. He loves them. Hes putting a 3m vinyl wrap on them and from what Ive seen from then so far, they look awesome!

Nov 22, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #9,225 of 23,456
Geez. They should NOT
be uncomfortable. Do not settle for "getting used" to it. Stretch em some more. I have 2 hd600's and 1 big head, and mine were instantly comfortable. My used one had less clamp, and I stretched my new one a little bit, but they're each comfortable & have low clamping force.

I have stretched it as hard as I could until my thumb feels pain, so I think this is as stretch I can do. It doesn't actually feel THAT uncomfortable considering that the earband and the earpad is pretty comfy, but somehow the pressure I'm getting really turned me off of using the HD600.

Sorry to hear that mate 
frown.gif

How are you positioning them around you ears? Ideally, the pads should be positioned forward and slightly low down, rather than perfectly centred on your ears. This is meant to give the best sound, and perhaps it'll improve the comfort ...

I don't know man. I've tried many different position and it all end up with the same pressure towards the bottom of my ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back