Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 9, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #9,106 of 23,458
  based on info i found searching here, i've sent a message through Sennheiser's site. barring them sending a free replacement out of the goodness of their hearts, what are my options? sending them in to Senn. for repair is ridiculous $$-wise, and i haven't yet come up with a price on the replacement part from them. does anyone sell the part? apparently the headband cushion is available all over the place, but not the actual headband.

They should have replacement headbands available. It probably will be north of $100. Also it's an easy DIY job to replace it.

Nov 10, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #9,107 of 23,458
  hi. hope you don't mind me jumping in without reading the entire (607 page) thread.

i've inadvertently joined the bandwagon. the headband on my HD600s just broke. i noticed a small crack many months ago, maybe more than a year ago. being careful bought me some time but they've now gone all the way.

based on info i found searching here, i've sent a message through Sennheiser's site. barring them sending a free replacement out of the goodness of their hearts, what are my options? sending them in to Senn. for repair is ridiculous $$-wise, and i haven't yet come up with a price on the replacement part from them. does anyone sell the part? apparently the headband cushion is available all over the place, but not the actual headband.

interesting tid bit that's probably been well-covered in this thread: the listed frequency response goes out to 39kHz! no wonder they sound so fantastic! though i am skeptical about publishing a frequency response spec without measured limits (e.g. +2dB, -1dB, etc), i have a feeling there's plenty of usable audio information well above the limit of human hearing.

cheers,
-c

Sennheiser definitely sell the part - here it is on the official UK spares site:

http://headphonespares.sennheiser.co.uk/hifi-tv-headphones/hd-600-avantgarde

It's expensive though. As madwolfa says (and based on the UK price), I'd expect you to pay more than $100  :frowning2:

Nov 10, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #9,108 of 23,458
also this place in the UK is very good for Sennheiser parts, They sell parts for mostly all senn headphones at a good price quick delivery
http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/sennheiser-replacement-complete-headband-for-hd600.html

all hd800 spares also :)  I just bought my replacement pads and headband from them took 2 days but in the UK though 

also guys they have a deal where you trade in your old sennheiser headphones and get £150 off the hd800 :)  I traded an old worn out pair of hd280 for them :)

Nov 10, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #9,109 of 23,458
If you must buy a complete headband, it looks like your choices are the Senn UK site or I've also seen the HD650 one (which is functionally the same) from Sonic Electronix store on eBay, which I think pretty much works out to the same price ($140 US).

^and the above link by lost&confused looks to me like the HD650 band as well based on the band color and padding, but like I said, I'm pretty sure they use the same mounting mechanism anyway.

Nov 10, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #9,110 of 23,458
  If you must buy a complete headband, it looks like your choices are the Senn UK site or I've also seen the HD650 one (which is functionally the same) from Sonic Electronix store on eBay, which I think pretty much works out to the same price ($140 US).

^and the above link by lost&confused looks to me like the HD650 band as well based on the band color and padding, but like I said, I'm pretty sure they use the same mounting mechanism anyway.

Yep - 650 set-up could be used on the HD600 and vice versa.

Nov 10, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #9,111 of 23,458

Yep - 650 set-up could be used on the HD600 and vice versa.

Yes, Dr. Frankenstein. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 10, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #9,112 of 23,458
  Yes, Dr. Frankenstein. 
biggrin.gif

At some stage I'm probably going to get a pair of HD650 drivers and swap them in and out as the moods takes me .... muahahahahaha [evil laugh]

BTW - should have HD800 coming from Rizki tomorrow (much excitement!)

Next review will be T1 vs HD800, and after that the HD600 vs HD800 (when Rizki's finished with them). 

Nov 10, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #9,113 of 23,458
At some stage I'm probably going to get a pair of HD650 drivers and swap them in and out as the moods takes me .... muahahahahaha [evil laugh]

Next review will be T1 vs HD800, and after that the HD600 vs HD800 (when Rizki's finished with them). 

Promising comparisons on the horizon. Can't wait! :)

Nov 10, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #9,114 of 23,458

I liked your 600 vs. 650 review. I also found them to be very similar. After much back and forth, wearing out the skin of my ears, I opted for the 600's. I found the 650's have in a slightliy elevated bass and slightly rolled off treble, in comparison to the 600's so in the end the 650's didn't suite me. Nit picking of course. Since at times I like to dogleg up the sub bass, I find that the slghtly rolled off treble of the 650's yeilded an down sloped FR from low to high, The 600's gave me that dog leg without lowereing the preception of treble relative to midrange as much. Again, nitpicking, but that's what we do here.

Nov 10, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #9,115 of 23,458
  also this place in the UK is very good for Sennheiser parts, They sell parts for mostly all senn headphones at a good price quick delivery
http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/sennheiser-replacement-complete-headband-for-hd600.html

thanks for the replies. Sennheiser USA returned my message, saying the part is available directly from their sales dept. for $88. that might be the best deal available, though i haven't given up on the theory they'll take pity on me. 

Nov 10, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #9,116 of 23,458
$88 is cheap - jump on it !

Nov 10, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #9,117 of 23,458
I've owned my HD600's for over 10 yrs.  I recently bought new pads and band but seeing the price ($88) for a new part that's not related to the sound quality in any way makes me wonder about the individual parts cost and how much is actually spent on the drivers and wire.  Interesting to note that High End gear is focused on high quality parts yet the HD600's have achieved a legendary status for their sound quality, even though it seems obvious the lions share of the manufacturing costs are NOT spent on the parts that make up the sound!  I think there's a lesson to be learned in here somewhere!:wink:

Nov 10, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #9,118 of 23,458
  I've owned my HD600's for over 10 yrs.  I recently bought new pads and band but seeing the price ($88) for a new part that's not related to the sound quality in any way makes me wonder about the individual parts cost and how much is actually spent on the drivers and wire.  Interesting to note that High End gear is focused on high quality parts yet the HD600's have achieved a legendary status for their sound quality, even though it seems obvious the lions share of the manufacturing costs are NOT spent on the parts that make up the sound!  I think there's a lesson to be learned in here somewhere!:wink:

perhaps, but there may be other factors, such as volume.  For instance, how many new bands (as a separate part) should they bother to produce, since that would probably be a rarely ordered item?  Manufacturing and inventory and storage costs, for something in low demand...

Nov 10, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #9,119 of 23,458

The cost of the spare parts probably has little relation to the cost of manufacture or their proportional cost of the overall headphone. Spare part cost is more likely correlated with how much you're prepared to spend on the parts (or how much the manufacture thinks you're prepared to spend). If you price up all the spare parts you'll find it comes out quite a bit higher than the purchase price of a new pair of HD600s.

Nov 11, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #9,120 of 23,458

The cost of the spare parts probably has little relation to the cost of manufacture or their proportional cost of the overall headphone. Spare part cost is more likely correlated with how much you're prepared to spend on the parts (or how much the manufacture thinks you're prepared to spend). If you price up all the spare parts you'll find it comes out quite a bit higher than the purchase price of a new pair of HD600s.

I totally looked at that while I was considering getting the HD600s haha. You'd need the headband, the drivers, the pads, and the cables. Funnily enough, the quote @charlienyc got from Sennheiser for the headband is more than the cost of a single driver. I asked them before about getting a replacement driver and they said $71. Anyway, the total actually is about the same as a set of used HD600s, running about $300. Of course, Sennheiser claims to match the drivers to a certain tolerance with the prebuilt retail pairs so there's that. I just ended up getting mine used; less hassle and it came with the actual Sennheiser box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back