Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Sep 18, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #8,642 of 23,456
  I personally prefer the E09K over the Magni or the O2 with the HD600. I think its a great starter amp. But from my time on headfi the most recommended has to be the Bottlehead Crack! 

Thanks for your reply, I've read many possitive reviews on the BHC amp, unfortunatly, I am not good with assembling gadgets.
redface.gif

Sep 18, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #8,643 of 23,456
  Thanks for your reply, I've read many possitive reviews on the BHC amp, unfortunatly, I am not good with assembling gadgets.
redface.gif

My BH Crack was the first thing I had ever soldered in my life. 

It took me 2 nights (about 6 hours total) to finish, not counting the time it took to cut and strip wire (the easy stuff), and I made 2 mistakes.  I fixed those 2 mistakes in about 20 minutes. 

And then I had a functioning headphone amp that has turned out to be pretty much my endgame choice paired with Senn HD600s.  I sold a pair of LCD-2 headphones and a Woo WA6-SE in favor of this combo. 

It still blows me away every time I turn it on and plug those cans into something I MADE.  Well, that I assembled...but whatever.  And the sound is just beyond amazing.   

The point is that if you have a pair of HD600s, the Crack is so fantastic in its finished form that you owe it to yourself to try to put it together...even if you don't think you can put it together.  At least IMO.

OK, Dead Horse.  Take THAT...and THAT...that'll teach you!  
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #8,644 of 23,456
  My budget would be around 700 dollars, personally I prefer SS amp as they usually more solid and in most cases, are of smaller sizes. But according to some, the WA3 and the BH crack are the enjoyable choices. What would you recommend in my case? Thanks.

Dunno, I would just get an Asgard 2 (SS) and call it a day. It's fairly versatile, compact, maintenance free and will save you cool 450 bucks.
Tubed Valhalla 2 is also a great choice, but less versatile (not really good for low impedance cans if you decide to get LCD-2 at some point).

Mjolnir is around your budget, but it's huge and IMO overkill for HD600.

Lyr 2 maybe?

Sep 18, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #8,646 of 23,456
How big challenge is to put together this BH Crack? Do you need any special tool? Like welding and stuff?

I'm pretty sure you can download the manual. You do need welding soldering tools and space to work. I was on the verge of picking one up until I did some research; if this kind of thing isn't your hobby, I'd think long and hard before purchasing. Though lots of novices make one, from watching videos this is skilled work. Maybe some day I will, but not until I have a dedicate room, no more toddlers in the house, $30 to spend on tools and a bit more for some welding soldering exercises. 

Edit. Doh. 

Sep 18, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #8,647 of 23,456
  I'm pretty sure you can download the manual. You do need welding tools and space to work. I was on the verge of picking one up until I did some research; if this kind of thing isn't your hobby, I'd think long and hard before purchasing. Though lots of novices make one, from watching videos this is skilled work. Maybe some day I will, but not until I have a dedicate room, no more toddlers in the house, $30 to spend on tools and a bit more for some welding exercises. 

Man, this hobby can always surprise me, what more circles of hell it involves... :)
I might gonna learn welding in the future. :)

Sep 18, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #8,649 of 23,456
Originally Posted by irishsammy

My BH Crack was the first thing I had ever soldered in my life. 

It took me 2 nights (about 6 hours total) to finish, not counting the time it took to cut and strip wire (the easy stuff), and I made 2 mistakes.  I fixed those 2 mistakes in about 20 minutes. 

And then I had a functioning headphone amp that has turned out to be pretty much my endgame choice paired with Senn HD600s.  I sold a pair of LCD-2 headphones and a Woo WA6-SE in favor of this combo. 

It still blows me away every time I turn it on and plug those cans into something I MADE.  Well, that I assembled...but whatever.  And the sound is just beyond amazing.   

The point is that if you have a pair of HD600s, the Crack is so fantastic in its finished form that you owe it to yourself to try to put it together...even if you don't think you can put it together.  At least IMO.

OK, Dead Horse.  Take THAT...and THAT...that'll teach you!  
biggrin.gif

+1 That is exactly how I feel about the HD600 and my Bottlehead Crack! If you take your time, it's pretty easy!

Sep 18, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #8,650 of 23,456
  Mjolnir overkill for the 600s?  No way.  Love it every day.

Well, nobody said overkill was a bad thing. 
rolleyes.gif

But I'd rather spend my money elsewhere, that's just me though.

Sep 18, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #8,651 of 23,456
  It's soldering, not welding.  Big difference.

Mjolnir overkill for the 600s?  No way.  Love it every day.

Soldering. Thanks. 
Apologies.
English is my second language. But this is, how I learn. I live in the U.K. for 4 years now, but never need to use the word soldering so far. :)

Sep 18, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #8,652 of 23,456
I understand madwolfa, having an amp that cost more than the headphone is a little strange, but it just so happens I like the 600s more than the 700s and 800s I have here also.  
biggrin.gif

Soldering is very easy and a great skill to possess as a simple handyman type of person.  I've assembled three Bottlehead kits in the past, and they were quite simple.  Don't hesitate.  It's fun, too.

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #8,653 of 23,456
  I understand madwolfa, having an amp that cost more than the headphone is a little strange, but it just so happens I like the 600s more than the 700s and 800s I have here also.  
biggrin.gif

Yeah, you tell me. I had them for more than 10 years!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back