Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Sep 10, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #8,552 of 23,456
I had used the ATH-M50 exclusively for several years until recently I got the bug to upgrade. I first tried the NAD VISO HP50, which initially did not impress me as significantly better than the M50. After careful and prolonged comparison I found that the HP50 did sound better, but eventually I returned them and bought the HD600 instead.

In contrast to the HP50, the difference between the HD600 and the M50 was immediately obvious. The first CD I happened to listen to with the HD600 was Catch a Fire (Barry Diament mastering) and it was as if I had never heard bass before. I cannot understand why people say the HD600 lacks bass, because the bass is usually what I'm most aware of in most of the recordings I've listened to so far. 

Right now I run the HD600 from the headphone jack of my 15-year old Onkyo receiver TX-8211. It sounds pretty good to me, but I have no experience with other equipment, so I wouldn't know if it were lacking. Over and over I see people say "The HD600 need a headamp" but I get the impression that these people assume your source is a laptop, DAP, or cellphone. I run my CD player and DAC through my receiver, so I'm wondering how much of an improvement, if any, a dedicated headamp like the Magni or O2 would actually be over the receiver's headphone out. Does anyone have experience/advice on this subject? 

Sep 10, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #8,553 of 23,456
  I run my CD player and DAC through my receiver, so I'm wondering how much of an improvement, if any, a dedicated headamp like the Magni or O2 would actually be over the receiver's headphone out. Does anyone have experience/advice on this subject? 

More than 10 years ago I've been feeding my HD600 from a relatively cheap CD player (TEAC C1D) for quite a while and it was great.
After some time I've added a Musical Fidelity X-CAN V3 headphone amplifier. Yes, it was a step up, but the difference wasn't dramatic.

PS: If you can stretch your budget a bit, I'd recommend getting an Asgard 2 instead.

Sep 10, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #8,555 of 23,456

I had been considering that, but then I read this review, which concluded that the differences between the Magni and Asgard were minimal:

Schiit Modi and Magni comparison to Bifrost and Asgard

Well, Asgard + Bifrost is just a much nicer looking stack. 
tongue.gif

Sep 10, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #8,556 of 23,456
  I had used the ATH-M50 exclusively for several years until recently I got the bug to upgrade. I first tried the NAD VISO HP50, which initially did not impress me as significantly better than the M50. After careful and prolonged comparison I found that the HP50 did sound better, but eventually I returned them and bought the HD600 instead.

In contrast to the HP50, the difference between the HD600 and the M50 was immediately obvious. The first CD I happened to listen to with the HD600 was Catch a Fire (Barry Diament mastering) and it was as if I had never heard bass before. I cannot understand why people say the HD600 lacks bass, because the bass is usually what I'm most aware of in most of the recordings I've listened to so far. 

Right now I run the HD600 from the headphone jack of my 15-year old Onkyo receiver TX-8211. It sounds pretty good to me, but I have no experience with other equipment, so I wouldn't know if it were lacking. Over and over I see people say "The HD600 need a headamp" but I get the impression that these people assume your source is a laptop, DAP, or cellphone. I run my CD player and DAC through my receiver, so I'm wondering how much of an improvement, if any, a dedicated headamp like the Magni or O2 would actually be over the receiver's headphone out. Does anyone have experience/advice on this subject? 

Do you notice a lot of hiss in the background when you listen through the onkyo?  I have an older onkyo integrated and the headphone output sounds a little better than my Nuforce HDP but I hear a constant hiss in the background.  In this respect any amp made for headphones should be an improvement.  Otherwise, I will go ahead and throw in the Bottlehead Crack for consideration.  If you are DIY inclined it is a great deal and supposedly gets even better with the addition of the Speedball.  

Sep 10, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #8,558 of 23,456
  Do you notice a lot of hiss in the background when you listen through the onkyo?  I have an older onkyo integrated and the headphone output sounds a little better than my Nuforce HDP but I hear a constant hiss in the background.  In this respect any amp made for headphones should be an improvement.  Otherwise, I will go ahead and throw in the Bottlehead Crack for consideration.  If you are DIY inclined it is a great deal and supposedly gets even better with the addition of the Speedball.  

I've never noticed a hiss but I have tinnitus, so if it happened to be in the same frequency as my tinnitus I wouldn't be able to hear it.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Crack, but I'm not wild about the idea of DIY, especially for that kind of money, and I'm skeptical of tubes as well: I don't want an amp that needs maintenance. And I want to know that the Crack will be a huge improvement over my receiver before I spend as much on it as I spent on the HD600 itself.

Sep 10, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #8,559 of 23,456
  I don't want an amp that needs maintenance. And I want to know that the Crack will be a huge improvement over my receiver before I spend as much on it as I spent on the HD600 itself.

I'd say just grab a Magni. You can always return if you don't hear any difference.

Sep 10, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #8,560 of 23,456
  I cannot understand why people say the HD600 lacks bass, because the bass is usually what I'm most aware of in most of the recordings I've listened to so far. 

Some expect to hear bass closer to how a pair of tower speakers with multiple bass drivers driven by huge amps (or one with an active subwoofer) sound like...

Where even fast double pedal kicks can be felt on the chest

..while some still expect the sort of bass coming from that parked black Cadillac with its doors open, with sound system components from Audiobahn.

If the doors and windows were closed he'd crack the glass

Sep 10, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #8,561 of 23,456
So I just got HD600 recently. I'm using them with the Matrix M-Stage HPA-2. I'm wondering if there's another amp/dac around the same price ($300 or less) that has good synergy with the HD600.

Also is anyone using the HD600 with either the Project Ember or Project Polaris?

Sep 11, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #8,562 of 23,456
  So I just got HD600 recently. I'm using them with the Matrix M-Stage HPA-2. I'm wondering if there's another amp/dac around the same price ($300 or less) that has good synergy with the HD600.

Also is anyone using the HD600 with either the Project Ember or Project Polaris?

This. What's wrong with the HPA-2? It was one of my candidates, since I heard it paired well with the HD800.

Sep 11, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #8,563 of 23,456
Currently tossing and turning between the DT880 600ohm, HD600 and HD650 - looking to pair with a Matrix Mini-I Pro

I've listened to a friends 880 600ohm on a Firestone stack (Beyond HD, Spitfire and Supplier HD) and it has been the best i've heard so far

Short of that I've tried the Matrix Mini-I Pro with a HE500 and they seem to power it plenty to provide the richness it's known for

The main review for the Mini-I Pro states that it pairs really well with the HD600 - but I can't help but wonder if the 880s would suit me better

I enjoy the low reaching bass presence of the 880s, is this something i'll miss in the HD600s?

Sep 11, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #8,564 of 23,456
  Currently tossing and turning between the DT880 600ohm, HD600 and HD650 - looking to pair with a Matrix Mini-I Pro

I've listened to a friends 880 600ohm on a Firestone stack (Beyond HD, Spitfire and Supplier HD) and it has been the best i've heard so far

Short of that I've tried the Matrix Mini-I Pro with a HE500 and they seem to power it plenty to provide the richness it's known for

The main review for the Mini-I Pro states that it pairs really well with the HD600 - but I can't help but wonder if the 880s would suit me better

I enjoy the low reaching bass presence of the 880s, is this something i'll miss in the HD600s?

DT880 & HD600 owner here. The HD600 has a slighty boosted mid-bass compared with the DT880, so sounds a little warmer/richer. The DT880 bass is more neutral, but tighter, better defined and reaches lower. 

Sep 11, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #8,565 of 23,456
Awesome, thanks for chiming in, regarding mid-bass and warmth I've recently moved on a set of Audio Technica AD-1000x as a result of listening to my friends 880 600ohms, i preferred the more neutral signature over the AD-1000x's more warm and pronounced soundtrack

Appreciate the feedback for the 600s, I think the 880s do suit me better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back