Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jun 20, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #7,906 of 23,456
Comfort is one of the biggest factor next to sound quality. I was looking at some from akg and hifiman but the HD 600s have a 4.8 out of 5 star. These will be my first set of high end headphones right now I have some cheap sennheiser that are good but have a closed soundstage no really low end and also a bit of distortion at the high end.

Jun 20, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #7,907 of 23,456
Comfort is one of the biggest factor next to sound quality.

I wish there were the case for me! There have been many the headphone whose sound quality I loved, whose comfort was unacceptable. 

I think the HD600 is as good as it gets in the comfort to sound quality ratio, except personally for iems. There are other comfortable headphones, but none of the sound quality of the HD600, though the DT880 comes close, and is maybe more comfortable. 

Jun 25, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #7,909 of 23,456
  I honestly don't think you can go wrong with these IF you are looking for a hi fi sound. If you want a "fun" sound they may not be for you. Maybe do a bit of research. Ideally try before you buy or buy from a retailer who will let you return them if they disappoint. HTH.

I consider HD600 as 'fun', but fun sounding to me is fidelity and warmth and the HD600 is definitely like that. Over the past few days, I have a new found love for the HD600 now plugged into a new marantz player. The sound is so alive. It's like neutral and natural but punchy and almost tube-like at the same time. Kind of revealing of bad recordings but enjoyable still. I'm having trouble describing so I'll stick to saying it sounds 'alive' and I've now reconsidered about investing in new headphones. HD600 rules :)

Jun 26, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #7,911 of 23,456
Transformation, purpose of leather pads other than the fact leather pads can get smelly on a hot day? hehe. I don't see any issue with the default :) The mod I'd like to see on my HD600 is an always-perfect headband adjustment. I get really OCD about measuring each click and making sure each side is aligned. Also would to love to have that clamp force return.

Jun 26, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #7,912 of 23,456
  how are the hd600 compare to akg in fps games?

I don't have any problem in switching from K702 ANV to HD600 for gaming purpose (even on FPS) , the soudstage isn't as large , but it don't bother me , HD600 as enough depth to easely distinguish ennemies coming .

Jun 26, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #7,913 of 23,456

I don't have any problem in switching from K702 ANV to HD600 for gaming purpose (even on FPS) , the soudstage isn't as large , but it don't bother me , HD600 as enough depth to easely distinguish ennemies coming .

can you pick up every detail?
thanks for your reply

Jun 26, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #7,914 of 23,456
I have ordered a pair of Sennheiser HD600 for music production but read one review that said the headphones don't sound good with the stock cable and sound better if a different cable is connected to them. Is this true? Or do the HD600 headphones sound just as good with the stock cable?

Jun 26, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #7,915 of 23,456
I have ordered a pair of Sennheiser HD600 for music production but read one review that said the headphones don't sound good with the stock cable and sound better if a different cable is connected to them. Is this true? Or do the HD600 headphones sound just as good with the stock cable?

It shouldn't matter SQ wise, stock HD600 cable is just a bit flimsy. Replace with HD650 OEM cable and call it a day.

Jun 26, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #7,916 of 23,456

The stock cable is fine, just fine. No need to change it. They sound as Sennheiser intended them to sound.

Some say you can improve the sound with an upgrade cable, others think this is voodoo nonsense ...

Jun 26, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #7,918 of 23,456
My original HD600 cable ripped and I bought a cheap replacement cable that wrote 'genuine hd650 replacement cable'. I highly doubt it makes a difference; if the cables were two wav files that you inverted against each other, I'd bet you'd get pure silence :)

Jun 27, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #7,919 of 23,456

The only reason for screwing around with the cable is when you find the stock cable too long (in which case you can just cut the cable then resolder that nice, compact, 3.5mm/6.3mm plug), or if it's broken and local Sennheiser parts support suck - both of which were true in my case. Oh and the custom twisted cable made from high purity copper a fellow local headphone audiophile made for me didn't cost me any more than importing an HD650 cable from Amazon, although I do miss that compact 3.5mm/6.3mm plug, especially since the Neutrik I had lying around and used for it broke after a year (and I had to solder in a new one from Amphenol). If anything the bass decay was faster, but the attack was the same. If I heard this cable but mine wasn't broken I wouldn't rush into getting it, even at that price. Another, more expensive cable I got to try (forgot which one) just made the treble too soft, and the bass decay too rounded that overall the hits seemed too soft.

Jun 27, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #7,920 of 23,456
Even the best cables you could get won't make more than 1% of a difference.. so save your money

Users who are viewing this thread

Back