Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jun 17, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #7,876 of 23,456
You mention good compression a couple of times. I thought 320kbps was 320kbps? Have you come across bad 320kbps?

I've not personally heard bad 320 compression but apparently the old encoders were poor and they are the reason compression in General got a bad rep. I suppose saying good compression was misleading, all modern compression formats will be plenty good enough at high enough bit rates. I took part in the Philips golden ears challenge on their website and the 160 Kbps artefacts test was extremely difficult but I did pass it eventually. Based on that my personal minimum 'good enough' is 240 Kbps and when I ABX AT 240kbps vs lossless I can't pass.

Jun 17, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #7,879 of 23,456
  the build quality is awful

my first t1 had tons of distortions, replaced it and now the new one started with new wonderful things.

if you want problems go ahead and buy it.

That sucks. I have a new DT990 Pro that is flawless, and they can't get their flagship right?

Jun 17, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #7,880 of 23,456

That sucks. I have a new DT990 Pro that is flawless, and they can't get their flagship right?

He's talking about the Aune T1 amp - not the Beyer T1 headphone.

The build quality on the Beyer T1 is (IMO) what you'd expect from a flagship - very good. 

Jun 19, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #7,882 of 23,456
So I got my HD-600s 4 years ago and decided to pick up some HD-650s a few months back. One for the house, another pair for work :)

When I first tried the 650s I went "wow - these are so much more fun than the 600s...and I LOVE the 600s! This is amazing". Immediately purchased them. (For the record, I also tried out some non-sennheisers and decided that I had either been groomed to prefer "senn sound" after 4 years of 600s (+2 of 555s?) or that senn sound was just legit better....but a lot of the other cans that I tried out just didn't do it for me).

Anyways, so I got these 650s and after a bit I decided that, actually, it was the 600s that truly shined. The "funness" of the 650s actually got a bit annoying after a while. I can't explain it but it kinda made me feel a little claustrophobic when listening to music on the 650s at home. When I would go to work and listen to the 600s I felt so much more relaxed and free.

For sure both cans are excellent and if I only had the 650s I wouldn't be unhappy with them. But I can now finally have my own opinion in the "600 vs 650" debate: the 600s win for me.

You should all be proud of owning a pair of HD-600s. I recommend you give a 650 a listen to see for yourself. I almost guarantee that you'll prefer the 650s at first but that after a bit you'll come to miss your 600s.

Jun 19, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #7,883 of 23,456
  So I got my HD-600s 4 years ago and decided to pick up some HD-650s a few months back. One for the house, another pair for work :)

When I first tried the 650s I went "wow - these are so much more fun than the 600s...and I LOVE the 600s! This is amazing". Immediately purchased them. (For the record, I also tried out some non-sennheisers and decided that I had either been groomed to prefer "senn sound" after 4 years of 600s (+2 of 555s?) or that senn sound was just legit better....but a lot of the other cans that I tried out just didn't do it for me).

Anyways, so I got these 650s and after a bit I decided that, actually, it was the 600s that truly shined. The "funness" of the 650s actually got a bit annoying after a while. I can't explain it but it kinda made me feel a little claustrophobic when listening to music on the 650s at home. When I would go to work and listen to the 600s I felt so much more relaxed and free.

For sure both cans are excellent and if I only had the 650s I wouldn't be unhappy with them. But I can now finally have my own opinion in the "600 vs 650" debate: the 600s win for me.

You should all be proud of owning a pair of HD-600s. I recommend you give a 650 a listen to see for yourself. I almost guarantee that you'll prefer the 650s at first but that after a bit you'll come to miss your 600s.

That is exactly why I have both.
beyersmile.png

Jun 19, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #7,887 of 23,456

I owned them both at the same time before also, but I want to do it again. 0_0 Your comparisons make me curious for the differences and whether my preference has changed over the years.

I remember them being similar, exceedingly so, like comparing sunrise- brisk from the night air, refreshing and clear, a hot cup of coffee, energising for the day ahead- to sunset- the lingering warmth from the shining sun, a relaxing fog to ease your way to slumber, a smooth glass of Cabernet, curious and intriguing.

Are you a morning lark or a night owl?

It is difficult to remember such things from years past! Maybe one must regularly refresh oneself with the intricacies and nuances of each, for the ears and the mind are constantly in flux.

Damn this hobby and its constant toil towards our wallets! :/

Jun 19, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #7,888 of 23,456
Looks like I'm going to have to sell my "as new" HD600 very soon. I recently got the B&O Beoplay H6 and they're better in every way. More detail, deeper bass, higher highs. Better separation and soundstage. Light and comfortable. Closed and portable. Easily exchangeabe cable. Plug in left or right... I really wanted to like the HD600, but they never really lit the fuse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back