Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jun 15, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #7,831 of 23,456
  not fully... most of it is covered by the ?driver .. add in average of 30 degrees C and 80% humidity and u get heat build up after 30mins of listening..

For reference, I live in Washington and I have heat buildup from the Philips Fidelio X1. I like that, but it's par for the course that wearing something over your ears will probably make it warmer.

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #7,832 of 23,456
  These headphones are on my "to-buy" list as soon as I start getting rid of my other headphones. I need some help trying to decide on an amp for these, though. I probably won't buy it right away; might just run the headphones off my motherboard since I've heard they're very sensitive despite the high impedance. But when and if I grab an amp, I was wondering what a good pairing would be. I'll probably settle on an Objective2, but are there some great tube amp pairings I could try, to improve the midrange and treble response?

They don't actually need anything to improve either mid-range or treble.  In fact they are still (to me) the most natural sounding headphones I've owned or heard.

If you're looking for a good external dac/amp combo though - plenty of power & reasonably priced - I can definitely recommend the Audio-gd NFB15 (http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm).

Best thing is that you can isolate the DAC and add a tube amp later if you want to.  I pair mine with a LD MKIV = best of both worlds.

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #7,833 of 23,456

They don't actually need anything to improve either mid-range or treble.  In fact they are still (to me) the most natural sounding headphones I've owned or heard.

If you're looking for a good external dac/amp combo though - plenty of power & reasonably priced - I can definitely recommend the Audio-gd NFB15 (http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm).

Best thing is that you can isolate the DAC and add a tube amp later if you want to.  I pair mine with a LD MKIV = best of both worlds.

I'll look into the NFB15 (seems to be backordered at the moment). But it didn't look like I could tube roll with it. I was thinking about swapping tubes to try out different sounds for the HD 600s. I might pick a Little Dot tube amp to do that. Time will tell. Thanks for the recommendation.

Jun 15, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #7,835 of 23,456

Hey Brooko just so you know, there's a NFB10 on EBay Australia :wink: You know if you want to upgrade... (The unit is not mine altho I've been thinking to swap my 10.2 to that 10.32 newer unit... if the price is right)

Jun 15, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #7,836 of 23,456
  not fully... most of it is covered by the ?driver .. add in average of 30 degrees C and 80% humidity and u get heat build up after 30mins of listening..

My ears overheat in 30 minutes with closed back cans, however, I can listen to my HD600's or HE-500's for hours. Perhaps there's a market for airconditioned headphones and they better be quiet. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #7,837 of 23,456
  My ears overheat in 30 minutes with closed back cans, however, I can listen to my HD600's or HE-500's for hours. Perhaps there's a market for airconditioned headphones and they better be quiet. 
biggrin.gif

HAHA

Jun 15, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #7,838 of 23,456
biggrin.gif

An aftermarket bolt-on cooler for HD600's are a possibility.

Jun 15, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #7,841 of 23,456
At home I find myself using my speakers more. Perhaps because where I live it's warm and humid wearing cans tend to become uncomfortable fast

Most of the time I prefer to listen to speakers too.  I don't think that takes anything way from our headphones.  As a matter of fact, my hd600's sound more like speakers than any other headphones I have, and that's one of the reasons I like them.  

Jun 15, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #7,842 of 23,456
  Most of the time I prefer to listen to speakers too.  I don't think that takes anything way from our headphones.  As a matter of fact, my hd600's sound more like speakers then any other headphones I have, and that's one of the reasons I like them.  

I've used my (yours now!) HD600 as a reference to choose speakers for my big stereo system (and Pink Floyd's "Division Bell"). KEF came out a winner with B&W tied for a second. British speakers are very close to HD6x0 sound signature - accurate, neutral-to-slightly warm and laid-back.

Jun 16, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #7,843 of 23,456

You want to see heat build up, try listening to some LCD2 with the leather pads, those big heavy pads will have you wishing you had some HD600's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back