Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
May 10, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #7,561 of 23,456

Well it's a good thing the O2 + ODAC isn't a low end Amp/DAC. It's got a low end price tag and high tier performance.
ksc75smile.gif

True! Big sound in small case and price
smily_headphones1.gif
But lacks power for LCD's

Thanks Joel,

Can anybody add an word on HD800 with O2/ODAC [With HD600 I loved it]

Thanks

May 10, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #7,562 of 23,456

Probably not what you want to hear, but...I really think people often underestimate the impact the amp/dac has in the overall sound of a setup. Personally, I wouldn't even consider running a 1000+ pair of cans through a $300 amp. I know, I know, people do it. However, they usually don't grasp what they're missing from what I've seen. As someone who owns both the HD600 & the current LCD-2, I would recommend sticking with the HD600. The LCD-2 really needs more power to truly shine, and the HD800 is very revealing of downstream performance in the chain. IMO, while the HD600 will scale well with better amps/dacs, it will won't feel too lacking with lower end sources.   

IMO the HD600 scaling thing is a myth. For 300 Ohms it's relatively efficient and an amp as simple as a Schiit Asgard 2 will work just as well as any amp as long as one's imagination doesn't take over. One need not spend a fortune getting an amp that has a flat FR with static and transient distortion levels that are below a human being's ability to percieve. If one prefer's a tube amp there are many choices available as well that wil not set one's wallet on fire. This is not a power hungry Ortho like an HE-6 or Voltage seeking Electrostatic that needs such a specialty amp. If someone enjoys something more expensive, that's fine as well but IMO not necessary.
I do like the look and quality of your WA7.

May 10, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #7,563 of 23,456
Well, I'm obviously in the minority here regarding sources, which is understandable given the HD600's price point. While I disagree with some of the comments made, I see no reason to argue about it. The likelyhood that anyone will change someone else's mind is next to none. I presented my opinion, as have a number of you. Let's move on. If anyone wants to run a $1000+ pair of cans through a $300 amp/dac, more power to them...it just wouldn't be my cup of proverbial tea.

Regardless, I think we can all agree that the HD600 is very much about value. That is to say, it's a tremendous value. I do feel that generally speaking, you get what you pay for in audio, but it's always case of diminishing returns with a steep curve. This is true of headphones, amps and sources. The HD600 falls on a sweet spot for me, and I suspect many here, which is probably why it is so well loved. 
beerchug.gif

May 10, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #7,564 of 23,456
As I always say, headphones have much more to do with the sound you hear than your Amp or DAC (as long as they are not crap). Of course the amp has to be able to drive the pair of headphones, which for most cans is not such a big deal as some would make it out to be. Nuff said for now.

May 10, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #7,567 of 23,456
I really like your sig StanD.
I have banged on here about not getting carried away with gear. Then I went and bought the JH13fp CIEM's. I am stunned by their performance. They have amazing impact and intimacy.
I was more than happy with the 600's and O2 but ATM much prefer listening to the JH. I honestly did not realise how good they would be. This is straight out of my iPhone. 
I wonder if a very expensive amp and DAC would give the 600's those characteristics? If so and the 600's do need expensive ancillaries to really shine then maybe they are not quite the bargain we think...

May 10, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #7,568 of 23,456
  I really like your sig StanD.
I have banged on here about not getting carried away with gear. Then I went and bought the JH13fp CIEM's. I am stunned by their performance. They have amazing impact and intimacy.
I was more than happy with the 600's and O2 but ATM much prefer listening to the JH. I honestly did not realise how good they would be. This is straight out of my iPhone. 
I wonder if a very expensive amp and DAC would give the 600's those characteristics? If so and the 600's do need expensive ancillaries to really shine then maybe they are not quite the bargain we think...

Perhaps you simply prefer the sound of the JH's, there's nuth'in wrong with that as the purpose is to please your ears. Which iPhone are you using? If the output impedance of your iPhone is greater than 3.5 Ohms you would benefit by amping the JH's in order to get a proper damping ratio to keep the bass in order.  A better Amp is not going to dramatically change your HD600's. The O2 has a very low output impedance and low distortion, Unless you are playing loud enough to get clipping on peaks there isn't going to be a worthy improvememt to be had with another amp. Depending on the music you listen to and how much it was compressed (analog not bytes) your need for headroom may not be that extreme. Listen to peaks when many instruments are playing loudly, perhaps with plenty of bass, and listen to an instrument with a sharp attack. If all is clear there is nothing to get crazy about. What is the voltage of the power supply to your O2? If the O2 does not have an upconverter the supply voltage can limit the peak voltage delivered to the HD600's which at 300 Ohms wants voltage. But if it's loud enough without distortion, don't lose any sleep over this.
If in the future you go with another set of cans that require more power you might revisit the amp. What are you using for a DAC?

May 10, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #7,569 of 23,456
K702 came today, first off they feel cheaper then the HD-600's and sound is much different, i will gett back to you guys what i think about them tomarrow.

May 10, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #7,570 of 23,456
  IMO the HD600 scaling thing is a myth. For 300 Ohms it's relatively efficient and an amp as simple as a Schiit Asgard 2 will work just as well as any amp as long as one's imagination doesn't take over. One need not spend a fortune getting an amp that has a flat FR with static and transient distortion levels that are below a human being's ability to percieve. If one prefer's a tube amp there are many choices available as well that wil not set one's wallet on fire. This is not a power hungry Ortho like an HE-6 or Voltage seeking Electrostatic that needs such a specialty amp. If someone enjoys something more expensive, that's fine as well but IMO not necessary.
I do like the look and quality of your WA7.

Sounds like you've never heard the HD600 out of some top-tier gear. The HD600 scales incredibly well, along with the best out there (HD800, Hifiman, Audeze, etc.)

Perhaps what you're trying to say is that the HD600 doesn't need expensive upstream to sound great. I agree with that. But better electronics (both amplification and D/A) yield obvious improvements with the HD600.

May 11, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #7,572 of 23,456
Perhaps you simply prefer the sound of the JH's, there's nuth'in wrong with that as the purpose is to please your ears. Which iPhone are you using? If the output impedance of your iPhone is greater than 3.5 Ohms you would benefit by amping the JH's in order to get a proper damping ratio to keep the bass in order.  A better Amp is not going to dramatically change your HD600's. The O2 has a very low output impedance and low distortion, Unless you are playing loud enough to get clipping on peaks there isn't going to be a worthy improvememt to be had with another amp. Depending on the music you listen to and how much it was compressed (analog not bytes) your need for headroom may not be that extreme. Listen to peaks when many instruments are playing loudly, perhaps with plenty of bass, and listen to an instrument with a sharp attack. If all is clear there is nothing to get crazy about. What is the voltage of the power supply to your O2? If the O2 does not have an upconverter the supply voltage can limit the peak voltage delivered to the HD600's which at 300 Ohms wants voltage. But if it's loud enough without distortion, don't lose any sleep over this.
If in the future you go with another set of cans that require more power you might revisit the amp. What are you using for a DAC?

Thanks for the interest.
I think (hope) that when my new purchase excitement for the JH settles down I will find that there are strengths to both.
A CIEM is a very different proposition to full size.
I am using a 5S.
I have tried the JH with the O2 and my Arrow. There are small differences to the sound but nothing that seems to justify bothering with an amp.
The convenience of the JH straight out of the phone is really nice.
The 600's with the O2 have great clarity and what I can only describe as a sense of"rightness" (sorry for the vague term!)
I have never heard the 600's with more exotic gear and just wondered if I was kidding myself that this is as good as they get.
I use the iPhone as my source with the adaptor LOD.
Usually running Spotify Premium. 320kbps.

May 11, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #7,573 of 23,456
Thanks for the interest.
I think (hope) that when my new purchase excitement for the JH settles down I will find that there are strengths to both.
A CIEM is a very different proposition to full size.
I am using a 5S.
I have tried the JH with the O2 and my Arrow. There are small differences to the sound but nothing that seems to justify bothering with an amp.
The convenience of the JH straight out of the phone is really nice.
The 600's with the O2 have great clarity and what I can only describe as a sense of"rightness" (sorry for the vague term!)
I have never heard the 600's with more exotic gear and just wondered if I was kidding myself that this is as good as they get.
I use the iPhone as my source with the adaptor LOD.
Usually running Spotify Premium. 320kbps.

So you think the best iems on the market sound the same from a phone as the O2 but you think the hd600 will benefit from more expensive gear. Think about it for a minute , you have answered your own question ! The hd600 will sound the same from an expensive amp as it does from the O2 just like the phone and O2 are similar. It's likely the only thing that could have an effect is the phone output impedance on the low impedance of the JH.

May 11, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #7,574 of 23,456
Hi James. I am pretty sure you are right. Although I did not say that the JH sound the same out of the phone as with the O2.
It's just that they sound so good straight out of the phone that maybe I don't need them to sound any better.
I figure that an IEM has a head start on full size in the areas I mention. Impact and intimacy.
Hardly surprising when the IEMs are shoved directly into the ear canal.
The 600's on the other hand leak like blue blazes. The sound is swimming around the ear. Larger drivers, more mechanical infrastructure. All of which may mean that they would respond to sophisticated electronics.
I would love to think that the iPhone, O2, 600 combo offers superlative sound that no one has to bankrupt themselves for.

May 11, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #7,575 of 23,456
I just got around to listening to Black Widow by Superhumanoids (I got it as a free MP3 from Amazon a few months ago) with my newly acquired HD600.  I don't think I have ever been this pleasantly surprised by a song.  Something is simply mesmerizing about how the soundstage of the HD600 combines with the overall feel of the song, the instruments, and the vocals.  I usually don't even like this type of music (over 90% of my library is rock/metal).  Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience.  Has anyone else heard this song and loved it with the HD600?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back