Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
May 9, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #7,532 of 23,454
No. I'm just going from what I read on a cereal box.

Yes. I've heard both. And both are excellent cans. But IMHO not even remotely close in sound. The senn is lush, warm, intimate and detailed. The akg is much more analytical, dry, cold in its presentation. But, the width of soundstage and giving you every micro detail is the akg strong point. The bass is there, but it's cold and dry, which makes it sound bass lite. Essentially you have to find an amp that colors the akg into what you want.

Having said all that, I love the akg. But it is in no way similar to the senn.

OK TY

May 9, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #7,535 of 23,454

Some reading material

Maybe this is what you meant?
http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/doc

Headphones are probably too small to generate delays that are this long. Generally you need a room or a hall for this.
http://store.acousticfrontiers.com/Decay-Time.html

Probably not the next two links
http://filmsound.org/articles/ninecomponents/9components.htm
http://www.musicarrangers.com/star-theory/t08.htm

I skipped reverberation, plates and delay lines as they cannot possibly be in scope.

I think this is why Dan Clark from MrSpeakers 3-d printed their own cups for the Alpha Dog, since the T50RP shell was causing those kinds of limitations...

Well, in any case it just sounds a little bit like a reverb, but probably an interaction between the frequency response and the cup design? Although with some amps the HD600 doesn't have it; perhaps because the amps that do might be adding to the bass? I can't tell for sure without measuring equipment. I just didn't flat out use "loose" bass because it might be hard to distinguish what I mean by "loose" vs "muddy." The notes didn't decay too long and blend into the next attack, and they weren't bloated; it just kinds of spreads out, more like air moving as in a combustion than a solid drum hit for example.

May 9, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #7,537 of 23,454
Hd600 with fiio x3 or the dx50? Really need your comments on this guys. It will be much appreciated. Thank you!

Haven't tried the DX50 but the X-3 with the E12 works well. Straight out of the X3, the 600's will probably want a little more oomph. I don't remember for sure but I think the X3 has more power than the DX50 so it might be less suited to run them ampless

May 9, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #7,541 of 23,454
The X3 with the 600's on high gain is a little muddier and less extended at the top and bottom. This is on the 2.16b firmware. The version 2.14b firmware with the volume mod may be a little clearer. Volume is at 65 or 70% where I had it at maybe 40% with the amp. Soundstage and instrument separation is also a bit better with the amp. Having said that, I have tried the 600's with a lot of other sources than sounded way worse than the X3. It's pretty amazing for the money

May 9, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #7,542 of 23,454
The X3 with the 600's on high gain is a little muddier and less extended at the top and bottom. This is on the 2.16b firmware. The version 2.14b firmware with the volume mod may be a little clearer. Volume is at 65 or 70% where I had it at maybe 40% with the amp. Soundstage and instrument separation is also a bit better with the amp. Having said that, I have tried the 600's with a lot of other sources than sounded way worse than the X3. It's pretty amazing for the money

Will be leaving in a few moments. Lol.
How about with the firmware 2.1? Does the x3 affect the neutrality of the 600 since I heard that the x3s sq is tilted towards the warmer side.

May 10, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #7,543 of 23,454
2.1 is a little warmer or muddier than 2.16b, so far 2.14b seems to be the best sounding so hopefully the actual release version will be close to that

May 10, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #7,544 of 23,454

FiiO X3 Portable Music Player

Is this what you're talking about? And if it is how much volume can you get on your HD 600s? And how long do the batteries last per charge? And does it require quite a bit of burning-in or does a solid-state thing like that sound the same from the start and forever?

May 10, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #7,545 of 23,454
I didn't notice any major burn in or anything on mine... you can get ear splitting volume out of it. I tend to stay around 40 volume out of 60. Battery... I'm only getting 4-5 hours out of it on high gain, not sure if this is irregular at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back