Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
May 9, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #7,518 of 23,456
Just ordered the AKG K702, i will tell you guys what i think of them compared to the Sennheiser HD-600's.

interesting choice, since they really are polar opposite sound signatures.  

May 9, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #7,521 of 23,456

I own the K701 and HD600 and i love the signature of HD600 a lot more.
I just don't have the love to the K701's signature.

Oops, sounds like a potential FS post. 
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #7,522 of 23,456
May 9, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #7,523 of 23,456
  interesting choice, since they really are polar opposite sound signatures.  

From my experience they are only polar opposites with some amps (ie, the best and "worst"). The x70x really don't play well with a lot of them, mostly OTL tube amps. On good solid states like Meiers, the gap is smaller - AKGs are nearly as warm, attack sounds more solid (more upper bass on bass notes) and tighter attack and decay (less excess reverb on  the trailing edge of notes), ssoundstage is noticeably a bit wider than the Sennheisers. On an amp like the Burson Soloist, the AKGs come alive with a LOT of dynamic range, where the HD600 isn't that much different on the Meier and the Burson. Considering it doesn't take a $1000 amp to get 99% of the performance of the HD600, the Cantate.2 and the HD600 are still my reference system.

May 9, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #7,524 of 23,456

From my experience they are only polar opposites with some amps (ie, the best and "worst"). The x70x really don't play well with a lot of them, mostly OTL tube amps. On good solid states like Meiers, the gap is smaller - AKGs are nearly as warm, attack sounds more solid (more upper bass on bass notes) and tighter attack and decay (less excess reverb on  the trailing edge of notes), ssoundstage is noticeably a bit wider than the Sennheisers. On an amp like the Burson Soloist, the AKGs come alive with a LOT of dynamic range, where the HD600 isn't that much different on the Meier and the Burson. Considering it doesn't take a $1000 amp to get 99% of the performance of the HD600, the Cantate.2 and the HD600 are still my reference system.

Headphones and IEMs do not have reveberation. Reverb requires springs or other active electronic circuitry. Perhaps you meant something other than reverb? Perhaps rInging on the transition of the waveform?

May 9, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #7,525 of 23,456
  Headphones and IEMs do not have reveberation. Reverb requires springs or other active electronic circuitry. Perhaps you meant something other than reverb? Perhaps rInging on the transition of the waveform?

Not reverb in the normal sense - I just meant the decay can sometimes sound "loose" even if it isn't necessarily slow or lingering. Is that the same as "ringing on the transition"? If it is I'll use hat one instead from this point forward. 
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #7,526 of 23,456

Not reverb in the normal sense - I just meant the decay can sometimes sound "loose" even if it isn't necessarily slow or lingering. Is that the same as "ringing on the transition"? If it is I'll use hat one instead from this point forward. 
biggrin.gif

Some reading material

Maybe this is what you meant?
http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/doc

Headphones are probably too small to generate delays that are this long. Generally you need a room or a hall for this.
http://store.acousticfrontiers.com/Decay-Time.html

Probably not the next two links
http://filmsound.org/articles/ninecomponents/9components.htm
http://www.musicarrangers.com/star-theory/t08.htm

I skipped reverberation, plates and delay lines as they cannot possibly be in scope.

May 9, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #7,527 of 23,456

biggrin.gif

I think this is why Dan Clark from MrSpeakers 3-d printed their own cups for the Alpha Dog, since the T50RP shell was causing those kinds of limitations...

May 9, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #7,530 of 23,456
Have you heard both?
No. I'm just going from what I read on a cereal box.

Yes. I've heard both. And both are excellent cans. But IMHO not even remotely close in sound. The senn is lush, warm, intimate and detailed. The akg is much more analytical, dry, cold in its presentation. But, the width of soundstage and giving you every micro detail is the akg strong point. The bass is there, but it's cold and dry, which makes it sound bass lite. Essentially you have to find an amp that colors the akg into what you want.

Having said all that, I love the akg. But it is in no way similar to the senn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back