Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
May 7, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #7,486 of 23,454
  How much of a drop in sound quality would there be if I went from my current setup (Little Dot DAC_I -> Schiit Vali -> HD600) to the Momentum over-ear with no DAC or amp, using only either my laptop or Sansa Clip Zip?  I am thinking about doing this because I could get back a lot of the money I spent while saving for a better system.  Any opinions are appreciated.

Can you drive your HD600 to a confortable level directly out of your Sansa Clip? If you can I honestly doubt the sound differences between direct and the amp\dac stack will be that big. Just tried them directly out of my Galaxy Note 3 and to be honest it sounds just as good as out of my amp to me. That way you can just keep the HD600 if you like their sound.

Ditching the amp stack won't make your HD600 sound like another HP, while the momentum sound very different from the HD600. I have both and I much prefer the HD600.

Again this is assuming you can get them to a volume level you like out of your sources...

May 7, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #7,487 of 23,454

Can you drive your HD600 to a confortable level directly out of your Sansa Clip? If you can I honestly doubt the sound differences between direct and the amp\dac stack will be that big. Just tried them directly out of my Galaxy Note 3 and to be honest it sounds just as good as out of my amp to me. That way you can just keep the HD600 if you like their sound.

Ditching the amp stack won't make your HD600 sound like another HP, while the momentum sound very different from the HD600. I have both and I much prefer the HD600.

Again this is assuming you can get them to a volume level you like out of your sources...

It gets loud enough without the DAC/amp setup, but a lot of impact is lost, and the soundstage becomes much smaller.

May 7, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #7,488 of 23,454
  It gets loud enough without the DAC/amp setup, but a lot of impact is lost, and the soundstage becomes much smaller.

Weird, but still the difference with the momentum will be much larger. Can you go audition them? You will probably make your mind up instantly. Thankfully its a very popular headphone so you shouldn't have a problem finding a retailer that has demo units...

May 7, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #7,489 of 23,454

Weird, but still the difference with the momentum will be much larger. Can you go audition them? You will probably make your mind up instantly. Thankfully its a very popular headphone so you shouldn't have a problem finding a retailer that has demo units...

I won't be able to audition the Momentum, but I am interested in what specifically you prefer about the HD600 to the Momentum.  Also, have you possibly ever heard the HD439 or Shure SRH840?  If so, could you briefly compare them to the Momentum?

May 7, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #7,490 of 23,454
  I won't be able to audition the Momentum, but I am interested in what specifically you prefer about the HD600 to the Momentum.  Also, have you possibly ever heard the HD439 or Shure SRH840?  If so, could you briefly compare them to the Momentum?

I own both, given a choice I will always reach for the HD600's unless I need the noise isolation of the Momentums. IMO, open back cans sound so much better than closed back cans, no contest.
Contrary to popular myth, the HD600's are not that difficult to drive to achieve excellent SQ. The amp must be abe to swing to the voltages required of a moderatly sensitive 300 Ohm headphone and be low enough in output impedance (easy to find). Of course the amp should not be a noisy distorted POS. An iPod Touch 5G does a surprisingly good job all by itself, my Galaxy S3 not so good but. A Schiit Bifrost Uber + Asgard 2 is saaweet.

May 7, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #7,491 of 23,454
  IMO, open back cans sound so much better than closed back cans, no contest.

Careful now... can't go making statements like that without hearing something like a Sony R10, Leatherhead, Alpha Dog, JVC DX1000 or TH900
wink.gif

Just having a laff with ya..

Out of those two the HD600 hands down sounds better, to match it overall in a closed can your looking at $6/700+

May 7, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #7,492 of 23,454
Hi,

i am a mixing engineer and i have just bought the HD600. I connected them to my Apogee One, but the sound isnt good. I have to crank up the volume alot.
Can anyone recommend me a powerful neutral sounding amp that will help me mix music?

May 7, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #7,493 of 23,454
  Hi,

i am a mixing engineer and i have just bought the HD600. I connected them to my Apogee One, but the sound isnt good. I have to crank up the volume alot.
Can anyone recommend me a powerful neutral sounding amp that will help me mix music?

O² , Lake People G103-S/P .

May 7, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #7,495 of 23,454
  Does O² have some type of input and output (USB) to connect to Apogee One or to my Macbook?

Doesn't your Apogee One connect to your Macbook via USB and has a built in DAC with stereo outputs? Unless its DAC sucks, all you need is a good headphone amp, of which there are many that can drive an HD600. You say, "Powerful?" The HD600 load is spec'd at 200mW which will take them above the threshold of pain. What's your budget? Prices for these toys are all over the map. You really don't need to spend a fortune to get great results with the HD600.

May 7, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #7,498 of 23,454
I just want neural, clear and detailed sounding amp that will open the sound. I dont have lots of money max. 200 euros

Unfortunately I don't know anything about connecting to a computer but I will say that you just described the O2 IMHO. There is also a version with a built in DAC which is highly regarded. In the UK Epiphany Acoustics makes the O2 and ODAC. They do a home trial so it is risk free to try it.
Have a read of the story of the O2 and it's designer. Interesting story. HTH

May 7, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #7,499 of 23,454
  My Apogee One is connected to my computer through USB and then there is one output in Apogee for my headphones

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/one

The headphone output is also an line out , it means that you can connect it to an headphone amp with the right cables . A simple jack to jack stero 3.5mm male for the o2 , or an stereo jack 3.5 male to stéreo rca male .

So you don't need an DAC . Just an headphone amplifier and keep the apogee as DAC .

May 7, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #7,500 of 23,454
  I just want neural, clear and detailed sounding amp that will open the sound. I dont have lots of money max. 200 euros

Schiit Asgard 2.- $250 USD  in the USA.
Schitt Magni - $100 USD in the USA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back