Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
May 5, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #7,456 of 23,439
I understand your angst!  We all want to create the best sound possible for the money (and I have learned truly great sound isn't related to $$$ spent...there are great products at a great price).

I too have searched and read and read and read on this.

Here is what I have gleaned from my reading...differences are in fact there by going with after market cables.  But the differences are just that, subtle adjustments to the sound.  Cables aren't fixes for more bass or treble or sound staging or detail.  They are simply changes on what you have.

So, my thoughts on changing headphone cables is that you should first have a full knowledge of your system i.e., no components should be new and need break-in, adjustment to sound etc.

Once you are really happy with your whole system, then tweak from there.

Hope this helps.  I have been through this with speaker cables and interconnects and digital cables and I know that it does make a real difference in a speaker set-up.  Seemingly less in a head-phone set-up.

Good luck in your search!

May 5, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #7,458 of 23,439
  The link please.

Ask, and it shall not be given you; seek, and ye shall find
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #7,460 of 23,439
OK, I will provide one link...

http://sound.westhost.com/cables-p3.htm#interconnects

+1
Absolutely correct.
Edit: I measured the capacitance and resistance of my standard HD600 cable. The capacitance was 220 pF, the resistance was negligble compared to the can's 300 Ohm impedance. The cable becomes a factor way above audio, into the world of RF.

May 6, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #7,461 of 23,439
I still going crazy reading all the posts regarding recabling the HD600. Everyone has a recable that they feel improved the sound of their HD600 but I would really like to hear from someone who tried several cables and preferes one over the other. The Double Helix, the Chamberlian and Cardas are all well regarded. I kinda leaning towards the Double Helix copper since its not supposed to change the perspective. Anyone try several cable and end up with a favorite.?

Here's a general cable replacement rule:

1) At least avoid cables that cost more than 1/3 or 1/2 of the headphone's brand new price online.

2) Is your stock cable broken? Is too long? 
a. Not broken - don't sweat it.
b. Yes to all. Get something that isn't that much more expensive, is reasonably flexible, and can be ordered at a shorter length. You don't have to restrict yourself to $300+ cables - some people are making them on eBay and Etsy using 4-conductor microphone cables for example. 

Also in my case a headphone DIY-er in my area was a lot easier to deal with than the crappy Sennheiser distributor who is known for not stocking spare parts and hung up on me when I called to check for stocks, so paying around $35 for a 1m long, custom-braided silver cable (I had spare Cardas pins and a 6.5mm plug) wasn't a bad deal. Very small improvement in sound that, if my cable wasn't broken, I wouldn't have been excited about considering the total would have been around $60.

May 6, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #7,462 of 23,439
So I got my HD600, $281 new. 
normal_smile .gif
 I love Ebay...and this headphone!! 
basshead.gif

Interestingly, it sounds great(a subjective 8/10) out of my Essence STX soundcard, albeit a bit bright with stock op amps.

QUESTION 1:
If anyone knows of any sub-$300~ (non-DIY) amps(probably solid state; tubes = muddy) that sound really great/awesome(9/10 or better) with HD600, please let me know! Sadly, I'm not rich enough to order 4 Schiit/etc amps at once to compare right now... 
frown.gif

QUESTION 2:
The HD598 pads work on HD600, right? Do they feel better..?

BONUS QUESTION:
Can you tell the difference between something like the Modi and Bifrost with this headphone? (I'd like a new DAC, too, heh)

May 6, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #7,464 of 23,439
normal_smile .gif
basshead.gif

Interestingly, it sounds great(a subjective 8/10) out of my Essence STX soundcard, albeit a bit bright with stock op amps.

QUESTION 1:
If anyone knows of any sub-$300~ (non-DIY) amps(probably solid state; tubes = muddy) that sound really great/awesome(9/10 or better) with HD600, please let me know! Sadly, I'm not rich enough to order 4 Schiit/etc amps at once to compare right now... 
frown.gif

QUESTION 2:

BONUS QUESTION:
Can you tell the difference between something like the Modi and Bifrost with this headphone? (I'd like a new DAC, too, heh)

1) Contrary to poular myth, IMO the HD600 works well with any good amp. If you don't have a ton of cash to drop, the Vali (tube hybrid) works very well with the HD600, or if you have a bit more to spend the Asgard 2 (SS) is very nice. I prefer the Asgard 2, I have both amps. IMO, people that use the HD600 with mega $ amps and claim to hear vast improvements are using their immaginations more than their senses. If anyone believes otherwise, that's OK with me.

2) Don't know about the pads, even though I have an HD600 as well as an HD558
Bonus) Headphones make the biggest difference as long as your amp or DAC are not crap. The differences you will hear between the Modi and Bifrost are not as big as between headphones. I like my Bifrost but if you are not ready to buy a Bifrost Uber USB the Modi can serve as a good starter DAC, you will not be sad.

May 6, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #7,465 of 23,439
normal_smile%20.gif
 I love Ebay...and this headphone!! :basshead:

QUESTION 1:
If anyone knows of any sub-$300~ (non-DIY) amps(probably solid state; tubes = muddy) that sound really great/awesome(9/10 or better) with HD600, please let me know! Sadly, I'm not rich enough to order 4 Schiit/etc amps at once to compare right now... :frowning2:  

QUESTION 2:

BONUS QUESTION:

I would consider. GeekOut1000 it is $299. Puts out 1watt of power and it was for difficult HPs like the hd800 and hd600. There is also a 720mW model for $50 less. Check it at mustgeekout.com

May 6, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #7,466 of 23,439
I have had to send a pair of Grado PS1000's in for repair (second time R channel has failed!). So got out my old HD 600's never run them before on my new system. What a joy I can remember why I chose the in the first place now!

May 6, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #7,467 of 23,439
I would consider. GeekOut1000 it is $299. Puts out 1watt of power and it was for difficult HPs like the hd800 and hd600. There is also a 720mW model for $50 less. Check it at mustgeekout.com

I'm  not saying that the GeekOut would not do the job, however, the HD600 is not a difficult headphone. It does it need anywhere near these power levels, it is load rated for 200mW. Approximately 21 mW will take it to 120 dB SPL,the threshold of pain. All you need is an amp with a low enough impedance as not to be a factor in the HD600's impedance curve and that can reach the voltages required by a 300 Ohm can. There are plenty of amps that meet this criteria that have excellent SQ.

May 6, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #7,468 of 23,439
normal_smile .gif
basshead.gif

QUESTION 1:
frown.gif

QUESTION 2:

BONUS QUESTION:

I don't know what great guru told you that tubes=muddy.  If that was the case, no one would want them.  even my mid fi tube setup is Far from muddy.  and my fisher 500c stereo amp would make you question your faith.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back