Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 9, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #6,992 of 23,458
Pardon my ignorance, but looking at the DC-1 specs I don't see how it differs from the Asus in that regard.

Pardon mine, you're probably more fluent in hifi than I am. The DC-1 is solely a DAC. The Asus is a DAC, a preamp and an amp all at once. So since I'm gonna go with a tube amplifier, I don't need the preamp/amp abilities of the ASUS anymore... That's why I want a unit that is a DAC only. Am I right?

Mar 9, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #6,993 of 23,458
Pardon mine, you're probably more fluent in hifi than I am. The DC-1 is solely a DAC. The Asus is a DAC, a preamp and an amp all at once. So since I'm gonna go with a tube amplifier, I don't need the preamp/amp abilities of the ASUS anymore... That's why I want a unit that is a DAC only. Am I right?

Actually Tonequest, the DC-1 is a DAC, preamp, and headphone amp all in one - just like the Essence One. They are actually extremely similar, which is why I asked you about it.

You are going to spend money needlessly on a new product and lose money selling your Asus.

What are your digital music sources? I'm sure I (and others here) can help you find a better solution.

Mar 9, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #6,994 of 23,458
Actually Tonequest, the DC-1 is a DAC, preamp, and headphone amp all in one - just like the Essence One. They are actually extremely similar, which is why I asked you about it.

You are going to spend money needlessly on a new product and lose money selling your Asus.

What are your digital music sources? I'm sure I (and others here) can help you find a better solution.

Oh my... Thanks! So here's what I'd like to have:
- Bottlehead Crack
- A good DAC below $500
- AKG K702

I also have a pair of iKanto i5 active speakers which are ok. But since they're active, I don't need an amp for them so the Bottlehead crack will just be for the headphones. I'm playing Flac and mp3 through my computer, 95% of the time blues and rock music very heavily guitar-oriented (I'm a guitarist).

Thanks! I feel like a total newbee, which I am...

Mar 9, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #6,995 of 23,458
What are you using as a DAC / preamp for your

Oh my... Thanks! So here's what I'd like to have:
- Bottlehead Crack
- A good DAC below $500
- AKG K702

I also have a pair of iKanto i5 active speakers which are ok. But since they're active, I don't need an amp for them so the Bottlehead crack will just be for the headphones. I'm playing Flac and mp3 through my computer, 95% of the time blues and rock music very heavily guitar-oriented (I'm a guitarist).

Thanks! I feel like a total newbee, which I am...

You didn't mention a DAC or preamp for your speakers, so I'm assuming you are just running them off your computers on board sound card? This raises the question of why you want a DAC for the Crack but not for the Kanto's.

If we go forward with the assumption that you don't want a DAC/preamp for your speakers, then I would recommend the JDS Labs ODAC as a standalone DAC for the Crack. It's $150. But do a little math before you decide to go this route...

But I don't think you have considered the benefit of having a DAC/preamp in your system. Consider, instead of selling your Essence One at a loss, why not keep it for use as a "control center" from your computer for both your speakers and your Crack. Doing this lets you keep your computer software volume at 100% while using the Essence One to control volume of both your speakers and headphones. You also benefit from the Essence One's excellent DAC now feeding both your speakers and headphones.

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #6,996 of 23,458

So this long winded story is just to share why I identify with ​krismusic's quote.  I now have the two HD6xx, the K702, a Trafomatic Experience Head One HPamp, my now three years old TEAC PD-HA600 "old faithful" CD player (oh & my old Kenwood also) & that Ladies & Gentlemen is the end of my quest.  I also fully agree with many other quotes/posts which point out that in the end it's mostly about what your ears/mind preference is.  I don't covet or have any urge to try other HPs or HP amps.  The HD600 is my favourite (Canadian spelling) HP while the 650 is a nice change periodically.  As for the K702 it fulfills the rare need for a totally different sound but it never lasts long & it depends on the genre of music I'm listening to.  The HD600, IMHO, to my ears, to my personal taste, is the best overall HP ever made (never saw or heard the Orpheus) & it makes me laugh (better than crying) when I think that I've come full (expensive) circle.  It was a good learning experience, journey because I now realize what I'm happy with.  
size]

Just to play devil's advocate, does anyone here feel the reverse of the statement in italics? I've had ample head time with both and know which I'd choose if I had to pick only one....but they both have their strong points, for sure. But if you had to live with only one phone which would you choose? Since this is a hd600 thread I guess the answer is obvious, but on other threads some folks rave about the AKG's.....and reviews do the same as well. Probably it's a case of chocolate vs. vanilla. Anyone like both equally....or almost equally? For sure they're very different, and at one time were TOTL.

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #6,997 of 23,458
I agree with the HD600s bring the best overall headphones *for the price* I had Q701s before and sold those for hd600s because their sound signature caters to every genre better than the akgs. I felt like the 701s were absolutely stellar with a few acoustic genes but terrible for other not as well mastered/bassy music.

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #6,998 of 23,458
I agree with the HD600s bring the best overall headphones *for the price* I had Q701s before and sold those for hd600s because their sound signature caters to every genre better than the akgs. I felt like the 701s were absolutely stellar with a few acoustic genes but terrible for other not as well mastered/bassy music.

+1 (w/K702) 

Mar 10, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #6,999 of 23,458

I don't think we should keep putting "for the price" when describing the 600 value.  the 600 performes well above its price point, and blows away many headphones that are beyond its price point.  thats just me though.  seems a little too "catch phrasey" to be used smartly.

Mar 10, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #7,000 of 23,458
All very true.

I own a K702.65 and will definitely not be getting rid of it anytime soon because what it does do better than the HD 600 is soundstage and positional accuracy (something I need for competitive gaming), but I'll also be picking up my HD 600 over it to listen to music almost every time.

Mar 10, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #7,001 of 23,458
Yes I've been told that the iPhone measures well. Live in hope!
I have read what KR has to say. Very interesting guy. Slightly worryingly he is also a Ufologist!

I also hangout in photography forums.  Many people consider him the laughingstock of the internet.  Take everything he writes with a huge grain of salt.  He's pandering to donations and trying to get corporate sponsors.  Not too objective. 

Mar 11, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #7,002 of 23,458
An iPhone sounds good? IMPOSSIBRU 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jokes aside, i think technology is getting better and better everyday such that the gap between hifi and consumer is narrowing. Before I got a DAP, I used my HTC 8x for music and it was far from unacceptable. The HD600 sounds okay too, though there was alot of room for improvement.

Mar 11, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #7,003 of 23,458
I also hangout in photography forums.  Many people consider him the laughingstock of the internet.  Take everything he writes with a huge grain of salt.  He's pandering to donations and trying to get corporate sponsors.  Not too objective. 

I guess that doesn't necessarily mean that his measurements are wrong.

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #7,004 of 23,458
Looks like some 6 $ eardrops almost completely solved my treble harshness/thin sound/hearing discomfort/fatigue issue.
Seeing my doctor this Friday to check for ear infection/ swimmer's ear/ whatever it is.

That just reminds me... how important our minds and our bodies are in the whole music listening experience.
Sometimes much cheaper to do a hearing check, rather than swapping gear without end.

Mar 11, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #7,005 of 23,458
Looks like some 6 $ eardrops almost completely solved my treble harshness/thin sound/hearing discomfort/fatigue issue.

Seeing my doctor this Friday to check for ear infection/ swimmer's ear/ whatever it is.

That just reminds me... how important our minds and our bodies are in the whole music listening experience.

Sometimes much cheaper to do a hearing check, rather than swapping gear without end.

Good luck at the Doc's and you are right. I try to remind myself that I am lucky to be able to hear all these tiny differences between gear. Or indeed music!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back