Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 2, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #6,857 of 23,499
Guys, any idea for DT 990 Pro 250 ohm compared to HD 600?

Mar 2, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #6,858 of 23,499
Alright, i'm giving in.

After months and months of looking for an alternative and blah blah blah neutral blah blah treble and blah transparent... I'm going to get a tube amp for my HD600.

I wish i could get the Crack, but i am just not going to get into the soldering and stuff. So these are my two choices(after weeks of research):

Little Dot MKIII - they are said to perform very well with the HD600 and offer amazing value at their price point. In fact, i was sure i was going to get these until a short time ago, when i hear about...

Project Sunrise III - the already built version is overall $20 more than the LD, i have heard very good comments from it, and it is a DIY amp in the mold of the Crack, just that it cam be ordered built for $50 more than the kit price. I've read that it's performance is awesome for the price.

So... Do i just go for the sure with the LD or anybody has any experience with the Sunrise? Or any tube amp below $270 for the HD600.

Mar 2, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #6,859 of 23,499
Alright, i'm giving in.

After months and months of looking for an alternative and blah blah blah neutral blah blah treble and blah transparent... I'm going to get a tube amp for my HD600.

I wish i could get the Crack, but i am just not going to get into the soldering and stuff. So these are my two choices(after weeks of research):

Little Dot MKIII - they are said to perform very well with the HD600 and offer amazing value at their price point. In fact, i was sure i was going to get these until a short time ago, when i hear about...

Project Sunrise III - the already built version is overall $20 more than the LD, i have heard very good comments from it, and it is a DIY amp in the mold of the Crack, just that it cam be ordered built for $50 more than the kit price. I've read that it's performance is awesome for the price.

So... Do i just go for the sure with the LD or anybody has any experience with the Sunrise? Or any tube amp below $270 for the HD600.

Don't really understand why tube amps are still around. If they sound different from SS it is most likely due to distortion, non-flat response or some other design flaw. Seems like a band-aid approach for a transducer defect. Headphones or speakers too bright? Get an amp that rolls off the treble and gives the impression of depth by adding distortion. But, if you must, check out http://schiit.com/products/vali. Its a tube version of the Magni and only $119.

Tim

Mar 2, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #6,861 of 23,499
Don't really understand why tube amps are still around. If they sound different from SS it is most likely due to distortion, non-flat response or some other design flaw. Seems like a band-aid approach for a transducer defect. Headphones or speakers too bright? Get an amp that rolls off the treble and gives the impression of depth by adding distortion. But, if you must, check out http://schiit.com/products/vali. Its a tube version of the Magni and only $119.

Tim

I agree with you about tube amps. Why go for outdated technology?

Mar 2, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #6,863 of 23,499
  I've ordered my "La Figaro 339" for my HD600. Very excited. Can't wait for it to come in.

Awesome.  I'd like to now what you think...this amp should sing its high praises.
  Because some people like the colouration to the sound tubes provide. 

Or maybe...just maybe, that there is a compressional effect to the sound which matches compressional effects that atmosphere has on live acoustic instruments?  Electron waves traveling through empty vacuum may well have the same effects of soundwaves traversing the empty atmosphere?

Mar 2, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #6,864 of 23,499
Awesome.  I'd like to now what you think...this amp should sing its high praises.

Or maybe...just maybe, that there is a compressional effect to the sound which matches compressional effects that atmosphere has on live acoustic instruments?  Electron waves traveling through empty vacuum may well have the same effects of soundwaves traversing the empty atmosphere?

Count me out! :)

Mar 2, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #6,865 of 23,499

I'd like to know more about this.

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #6,866 of 23,499

I'd like to know more about this.

A lot of good tube amps have lower distortion than a lot of good headphones...so is distortion the issue?  I don't believe so.  Look at the slew rate, or rise time of tubes and notice that the edges are slightly rounded off compared to solid state...it is what I hear, a natural musical transient event...not so sharp.

Electrons are forced to travel through vacuum and I don't think vacuum conducts better than the electrodes themselves...the electrons are wave signals...I think the vacuum serves as an impedance, or impediment.  How about sound waves...water conducts sound waves better than air...air has an impedance to the pressure waves.  Of course, I have no evidence...all this exists in my minds eyes.

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #6,867 of 23,499
Transistors and tubes both move electrons.  The difference is tubes have third and fourth order harmonic distortions, which many people find pleasing because they sound more acoustically natural than a lesser-degraded signal via transistors. 

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #6,868 of 23,499
Intwres
A lot of good tube amps have lower distortion than a lot of good headphones...so is distortion the issue?  I don't believe so.  Look at the slew rate, or rise time of tubes and notice that the edges are slightly rounded off compared to solid state...it is what I hear, a natural musical transient event...not so sharp.

Electrons are forced to travel through vacuum and I don't think vacuum conducts better than the electrodes themselves...the electrons are wave signals...I think the vacuum serves as an impedance, or impediment.  How about sound waves...water conducts sound waves better than air...air has an impedance to the pressure waves.  Of course, I have no evidence...all this exists in my minds eyes.

Interesting thoughts, i look at it another way. I see it that the recording captures the 'natural music transient event' so I want that to be reproduced as cleanly as possible. I can see the draw to tube amps though, it took me a long time to get used to the Hd800s extremely clean , clear sound. Back on topic though my hD600s are in transit and are due to arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing this legendary headphone :)

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #6,869 of 23,499

If you're talking about rounded edges, that'll be more of the soft clipping that tube amps provide. That'll be appreciated by a lead guitarist, not an audiophile. Tubes tend to have more even order harmonic distortion when operating in the linear region and that's most of the tube sound that most people seeking tube smps desire. Another aspect of the traditional tube sound is due to output transformers being nonlinear, saturating and having FR issues. This can be addressed using an OTL design or an expensive quality transformer as is done with good audiophile equipment.
Now to the statement, "Electrons are forced to travel through vacuum." Vacuum is not a conductor, period. It is the potential difference between the plate and cathode that does this. Typically the grid is used to control this flow.

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #6,870 of 23,499
Intwres
Interesting thoughts, i look at it another way. I see it that the recording captures the 'natural music transient event' so I want that to be reproduced as cleanly as possible. I can see the draw to tube amps though, it took me a long time to get used to the Hd800s extremely clean , clear sound. Back on topic though my hD600s are in transit and are due to arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing this legendary headphone
smily_headphones1.gif

You will NOT be dissapointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back