Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 1, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #6,841 of 23,456
  Now you're talking, you're in second place. I got my Koss Pro 4's in the 1960's to use with my Heathkit shortwave radio. For all of you tubies it was all tubes. I can't believe that they still make a newer version of them, in the same horrid green. Mine had a clamping force that could crack open a coconut. The earpads were oil filled rubber, I can still remember when one of them leaked on me, 
mad.gif
. Back then nobody argued about cables and I would have given my left ear to have something like an HD600.
Below is a picture of the new version, it looks eerily the same.

I had that headphone when I was a young teen. The fluid filled cushions really kept out any other sounds. At the time, that feature was important to kid with 7 siblings and a father that did not appreciate my taste in music. Really put you in your own world. These days, open phones are my choice.

Tim

Mar 1, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #6,844 of 23,456
For  while I owned an HD580 and a second one modded only with HD600 earcups (everything else the same, same vintage dark gray mesh baffles too).  On a blind A/B with some head-fi buddies at a mini-meet I honestly could not hear a difference between the two.  We'd cycle through tracks, songs and passages eyes closed... rotating in and out different cans.  I was literally GUESSING at which headphone I was listening to.  I could have flipped a coin and gotten the same 50/50 odds.

I eventually sold the stock 580 based on looks alone.

So my point being, I think you should consider a used 580 as well.  That should be much easier to do for less than $200-250.

Very good thoughts on the 600 and 580. That's a really good idea in all honesty. But I have one quick question, what's the difference of the 598 vs. 580?

Mar 1, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #6,848 of 23,456
Can't find a good price for these. I don't want to spend more than $250 for headphones and the rest for a DAC/AMP. It's between these the DT 880 and the Fidelio X1. Anyone selling their HD600s?

I'll sell my HD 600s, without box, great condition with all new pads, for $260 shipped. I have HD 580s and would rather have the money right now.

Mar 1, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #6,855 of 23,456

Well, I don't believe in any Gods so there is that. After reading some posts, I guess headphones are close to religion for some.
dt880smile.png

Tim

Actually "religion" on these forums is reserved for cables and tubes 
evil_smiley.gif

Tubes?  There's almost a hundred years of scientific documentation on tubes.  Please ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back