Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Feb 27, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #6,737 of 23,456
Thanks for your infos. Bad that maybe there's no price-similar in-ear alternative to the HD600 but somehow doesn't surprise me. Maybe I just go with IE80 until a 600-in-ear is found/released.

I know this probably isn't the best place to ask, but does anyone here have an HE-400 headphones that can compare the two or give me advice on what is the better of the two?

AFAIK even the HE-500 is not necessarily better than the 600. I'd say only for bass they better.

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #6,739 of 23,456
Does anyone here use the Modi/Magni combo with their 600? I don't really prefer very neutral headphones usually so how do they change with that setup? More towards the brighter or darker side or things?

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #6,740 of 23,456
  I know this probably isn't the best place to ask, but does anyone here have an HE-400 headphones that can compare the two or give me advice on what is the better of the two?

Perfectly decent place to ask that question. I purchased both the HD 600 and HE-400 around the same time early last year. I ended up selling the HE-400 about a month ago. I did this because, other than punchier lows (and that's even debatable), the HE-400 did absolutely nothing better than the HD 600. The HD 600 is far better built, more comfortable, hands down more durable, much more user serviceable, is way more balanced from frequency end to frequency end, and doesn't have a horribly loose and catastrophically flawed treble. It seriously wasn't even a contest.

Beyond this, it's my opinion that the HD 600 is practically a benchmark around here. Everyone knows what it is, what it sounds like, and is capable of using it as a baseline in comparisons or to bring context to something they are trying to describe. It's one of those significant headphones that, beyond whether you prefer its sound or not, everyone should know really well. It's going to be around for a long time and will hard pressed to be forgotten. Can anyone say that about the HE-400?

Basically, it's an important step on everyone's headphone journey. Time to step up and grab one.

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #6,741 of 23,456
  Does anyone here use the Modi/Magni combo with their 600? I don't really prefer very neutral headphones usually so how do they change with that setup? More towards the brighter or darker side or things?

They are an excellent combo with the HD 600. The signature is on the warmer side of neutral and Magni/Modi give it a bit more spark, which I really like. I know I'll be repeating myself with this one, but oh well. The threesome of the HD 600, Magni, and Modi may be the best value available in the market while delivery tremendous synergy and performance that's hitting well above the price of admission.

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #6,742 of 23,456
What replaceable cables are recommended for these? I would like best something between 1.2 and 1.5m.

Thanks, 

halfinfinity.

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #6,743 of 23,456
  They are an excellent combo with the HD 600. The signature is on the warmer side of neutral and Magni/Modi give it a bit more spark, which I really like. I know I'll be repeating myself with this one, but oh well. The threesome of the HD 600, Magni, and Modi may be the best value available in the market while delivery tremendous synergy and performance that's hitting well above the price of admission.

You must mean Vali/Modi, right 
wink.gif

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #6,744 of 23,456
  What replaceable cables are recommended for these? I would like best something between 1.2 and 1.5m.

Thanks, 

halfinfinity.

I myself purchased the Oyaide HPC-62HDX for my own HD600. The silver version looks pretty damn good and is well made. Plus it's 1.3m.

It's one of the cheaper short cables out there I think. 

Feb 27, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #6,745 of 23,456

Thanks, 

halfinfinity.

If you're good with a soldering iron, you can buy a Sennheiser OEM HD650 cable for $25 and cut and reterminate yourself.  If you screw it up, you're only out $25.

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #6,746 of 23,456

I appreciate your response. The 600 is definitely on my list of headphones I want, it's just a matter of if I want them now. They'll more then likely be my next purchase when I can get the money together.
Thanks!

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #6,747 of 23,456

I have used that combo. If I had to say one or the other I would say brighter side of things. However, I would say the HD600 sounds great with the M&M stack, and it's more neutral than anything else. Also very resolving, though I've never used a higher end DAC.

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #6,748 of 23,456
Totally happy with 600's and Parterre's as a combo, then again the iem is 3 times the price!! 
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back