Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Feb 8, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #6,136 of 23,456
  I'm just amused that the discussion was initially about what amps pair well with the HD600.  I know the question was asked about neutrality - and for me both the NFB-12 & LD MKIV (while both having a touch of warmth) are still relatively neutral/natural sounding (depending of course on which tubes you have in the LD).

The next thing - the remarks start coming about neutrality for studio use - and that was never introduced or asked about.

AFAIK - we were discussing what was best simply for listening.

I also am really amazed at some of the snide remarks toward peoples preference.  I personally like both SS and Tube.  I'd never belittle anyone though that had a preference one way or the other.  It's all about sharing experiences - even if you don't agree with other's perspective.  Live and let live.

Round of applause, finally a rare, intelligent post.
redface.gif

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #6,139 of 23,456
  I was under the impression that the use of tube amps was to distort the sound in a pleasant manner, i.e. total harmonic distortion compensates for certain qualities lost in the process of recording music making it sound more like real life. Also changing tubes is a easy way to change the sound signature without changing headphones. In other words faithful reproduction of what was recorded is not the goal?

I have also read that some of the sonic character of tube amps could possibly be achieved by careful equalising and attaching resistances to a solid state amp.

Adding THD is not going to compensate for what is lost in the recording process. Nor can you add the sonic character of tubes with equalization and resistors as there are many much more complex elements to that sound.
Faithful reproduction is not always the goal, that's why we have tone controls and EQ, or if you want to get to bad extremes - Beats. Some folks prefer altering the sound by adding even order harmonics, etc by way of tubes, this is a listening preference, just like EQ might be to another person. Unfortunately many people not truly understanding this are swayed by all the chatter rather than doing a comparative listening session and determine this for themselves. I prefer the sound of clean SS another might not. I suspect that most people might prefer a clean sound, just  my guess.

Feb 8, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #6,146 of 23,456
Feb 8, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #6,148 of 23,456
  I mean the Crack. (in response to "What, no Bottlehead Crack love here?")

I thought that you were referring to the context of the thread. I would never imaging that you might have a substance abuse problem, headphone problem, yes.
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #6,149 of 23,456
  Sure, will get mine in a few days. Have to collect it from the customs office "Zollamt" first (not delivered straight to my address) :\

I assume you are referring to the Crack, correct? Very easy to build and the HD600s sound great on it. They weren't kidding when they named it "Crack"- can't get enough of it! No Speedball upgrade for now- maybe later.

Feb 8, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #6,150 of 23,456
  I assume you are referring to the Crack, correct? Very easy to build and the HD600s sound great on it. They weren't kidding when they named it "Crack"- can't get enough of it! No Speedball upgrade for now- maybe later.

Yes to Crack (while I was writing Stan posted before me so..I should have quoted my reply). Me too no Speedball (but independent from this decision, I read that some (minority, only 1-2 posts somewhere) didn't notice an improvement at all, or even rather the opposite with Sp.).(not saying Sp. is bad) I hope indeed that it's a good amp. Need still a DAC too. It's going to be the Modi, will need again to wait for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back