Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 9, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #5,731 of 23,454
Stories of the HD 600's remarkable scaling abilities with expensive amps are grossly overstated. Some tube amps noticeably change the sound but between well designed SS amps, you wont notice much (or any) difference.

I would agree with this. There are very small differences between my HRT microstreamer and a very reputable combo Concero/627x
Of course I still find Concero/627X sounding better with a larger/deeper soundstage but the difference is not night & day, far from that 

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #5,734 of 23,454
  Problem with owning any decent pair of studio monitors, even entry level ones, they can make a nice pair of the headphones like the HD600 sound less worthy.

I'm not quite sure I understand this statement.  Are you comparing speakers/monitors to headphones?  If so, why?  Kinda like comparing apples to oranges, don'tcha think? 

Jan 9, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #5,735 of 23,454

I'm not quite sure I understand this statement.  Are you comparing speakers/monitors to headphones?  If so, why?  Kinda like comparing apples to oranges, don'tcha think? 

agreed

Jan 9, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #5,736 of 23,454
  Problem with owning any decent pair of studio monitors, even entry level ones, they can make a nice pair of the headphones like the HD600 sound less worthy.

Which monitors? The KRK Rokit 6 sound a lot like the HD600's to me (or vice versa) on the same source - if anyone needed their headphones and monitors to tonally be as similar as possible I'd recommend these two, especially if used with a Benchmark DAC1.

Jan 9, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #5,737 of 23,454

I'm listening to my speakers.  A situation arises where I have to transition to use of headphones.  After listening to speakers for 2-3 hours, the headphone experience isn't so flattering.  Just reporting my experiences.

Though I don't mind as much when I use the HE-6's.

Jan 9, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #5,738 of 23,454

I didn't have a great source for my monitors, M-Audio BX8 D2's, until I upgraded to the Gungnir/Mjolnir.  Really made a difference.  The speaker experience improved such that I started to prefer it more than my balanced HD600's.  

But I enjoy the HE-6's just as much as I do my monitors.
Hence my pair are up for sale 
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #5,739 of 23,454
If I could listen to speakers exclusively I would. However, until I graduate medical school and can afford my own place listening with headphones is the only way I can be considerate to my close neighbours and enjoy my music. I definitely get where Uchiya is coming from.
With regard to comparing headphones to speakers being like comparing apples to oranges. I'm not too sure. I don't think they're incomparable as they share a lot of the same qualities, but one can't really fault headphones (an apple) for not being a good speaker (orange).

Jan 9, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #5,740 of 23,454
Schiit stack does give the HD600's a nice thump though for hip hop.  2pac sounds really good, well as electronica.  Can't make up my mind to sell or keep HD600s for backup.  Maybe I'll have to settle with owning more than one pair of headphones for different moods.

Jan 9, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #5,741 of 23,454

problem with headphones is that the left channel doesn't go to your right ear and the right channel to the left ear. I understand what you mean, after using my speakers for hours and then switching to headphones, you instantly feel the difference and the result is fatigue. I found the solution though, which is the 3D function of the iCan.

Jan 9, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #5,742 of 23,454
Is there anything that really makes owning these AND the 650's? I wouldn't mind trying the 600's out because I've heard they are better for classical and rock, but is it worth it considering I have some 650's?

Jan 9, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #5,743 of 23,454

I can easily see why some may prefer the hd600 over the T1.
And visa-versa.

Both are quite excellent IMO.

I could easely live with a T1  , but i enjoy my HD600 more 
biggrin.gif
and my wallet thanks me
redface.gif
, but if i want some beyer taste then i can still purcahse another DT 880
tongue_smile.gif
in complement .

Jan 9, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #5,744 of 23,454

I could easely live with a T1  , but i enjoy my HD600 more 
biggrin.gif
and my wallet thanks me
redface.gif
, but if i want some beyer taste then i can still purcahse another DT 880
tongue_smile.gif
in complement .

As I said, it's easy for me to see either the T1 or HD600 could be preferred over each other.

However the DT 880 is no T1 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Pfgo
Back