Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 8, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #5,371 of 23,433
Dec 8, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #5,373 of 23,433
Have there been any changes to the HD600 since it was initially released years ago? 

Dec 8, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #5,375 of 23,433
I haven't owned HD600's in a few years, anyone owning both the HE-400 and HD600 care to chime in any comparisons? I loved the neutrality, but I feel that the HE-400's are tops in their price range for transient response and details. What do you guys think?

Dec 8, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #5,376 of 23,433
I haven't owned HD600's in a few years, anyone owning both the HE-400 and HD600 care to chime in any comparisons? I loved the neutrality, but I feel that the HE-400's are tops in their price range for transient response and details. What do you guys think?

I just got the HE400 and am incredibly unimpressed with it. I listened to it for an hour and am returning it. I'd rather listen to my MDR-V6, I'd even rather listen to my Koss PortaPro. I don't know if the HE400 I received is defective or what, but it sounds like I'm in a cave, there is such an echo and weird sound. The whole presentation sounds so weird. Maybe I'm crazy because everyone but me seems to love them.

Dec 8, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #5,377 of 23,433

I've owned both the HD600 and HE400 at the same time.
I don't hear or notice the minor nuances in the sound of headphones that others claim to hear, but this is what I noticed.
The sound signatures aren't drastically different, however, the HE400 has more bass and seemed to have a more V shaped response. The HD600 is much more comfortable and has a more forward midrange in comparison. They leak about the same. The HE400 was easier to drive.The HD600 cable is much more manageable and less annoying.
That's it. They're both good. And close enough it seemed stupid to own both.

Dec 8, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #5,378 of 23,433
I've owned both the HD600 and HE400 at the same time.
I don't hear or notice the minor nuances in the sound of headphones that others claim to hear, but this is what I noticed.
The sound signatures aren't drastically different, however, the HE400 has more bass and seemed to have a more V shaped response. The HD600 is much more comfortable and has a more forward midrange in comparison. They leak about the same. The HE400 was easier to drive.The HD600 cable is much more manageable and less annoying.
That's it. They're both good. And close enough it seemed stupid to own both.

That's the impression I was under. I guess I'll have to try and hear them again at some point. I am finding the he-400 vocals a little lacking but I still love them very much.

Dec 8, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #5,382 of 23,433
I own the 600's and borrowed my buddies 400's for a couple months. While the 400 does have stronger and punchier bass, I found the high range a bit honky. Especially with vocals. There is a hollowness to the sound. I have found this trait in all the ortho cans. I have spent a lot of time with the he500, 400, and the LCD 2 and 3. I won't own any of them because of this trait. They are great cans, but what is important to me isn't good enough. One exception is the LCD X. I spent a little time with it at a recent meet. It is very good. Hoping to try it again soon.

So. The 400 is a good value for how it sounds. But for me, it's just not as well balanced as the 600.

Dec 8, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #5,383 of 23,433
I own the 600's and borrowed my buddies 400's for a couple months. While the 400 does have stronger and punchier bass, I found the high range a bit honky. Especially with vocals. There is a hollowness to the sound. I have found this trait in all the ortho cans. I have spent a lot of time with the he500, 400, and the LCD 2 and 3. I won't own any of them because of this trait. They are great cans, but what is important to me isn't good enough. One exception is the LCD X. I spent a little time with it at a recent meet. It is very good. Hoping to try it again soon.

So. The 400 is a good value for how it sounds. But for me, it's just not as well balanced as the 600.

I've been interested in orthos lately and find your experience enlightening. I'll have to put an ear to some. If what you say is what I'll hear, they're not for me.
Isn't the LCD-X easy to drive? I've heard good things about it along the lines of what you say about its even handed response.

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #5,384 of 23,433
I've been interested in orthos lately and find your experience enlightening. I'll have to put an ear to some. If what you say is what I'll hear, they're not for me.
Isn't the LCD-X easy to drive? I've heard good things about it along the lines of what you say about its even handed response.
I found the LCD X to have much more clarity in the high end. I didn't spend enough time with them to give a final decision. But from what I did hear, I preferred them to any of the previous LCD models. I personally find all the ortho cans covered and wolly on top. The top end is there, but it just sounds cloudy to me. I was set to buy the he500, until I spent some time with a borrowed pair. Having said that, I also quite enjoyed the he6. Didn't seem to have the weird top end when I heard it at a meet. But amping is a huge issue. Although I have quite a few stereo amps I could use with it. Which I hear is the best option. Have you tried stax?

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #5,385 of 23,433
I just got the HE400 and am incredibly unimpressed with it. I listened to it for an hour and am returning it. I'd rather listen to my MDR-V6, I'd even rather listen to my Koss PortaPro. I don't know if the HE400 I received is defective or what, but it sounds like I'm in a cave, there is such an echo and weird sound. The whole presentation sounds so weird. Maybe I'm crazy because everyone but me seems to love them.
with pleathers or velours? Many agree the sound is very weird with pleathers. Try velour if you haven't. Whole new headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back