Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
May 13, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #14,626 of 23,425
  btw is there like a website for me to look up each tube's sound signature?

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/755300/schiit-lyr-lyr-2-tube-compatibility-list

It has a lot of information and links to additional resources...

May 13, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #14,628 of 23,425
  And you know this by experience I take it
wink_face.gif
.  Agree, tubes for my BH Crack and Lyr2 have doubled/tripled the price of the amp its self.

I try to stop myself from tube rolling, getting a better amp is a much bigger improvement than what tube rolling can do. But I finally caved and ordered a pair of brimar yellow t 6060 for my T3. I figured it was missing a bit of natural tonality from the stock tubes and I am hoping the brimars will fix the tone.
  As for the sound signature, I really like my HD600 and I would love it more if it a bit brighter. 

If your looking for treble extension with detailed and clear sound then Telefunken tubes are known for that.

May 13, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #14,629 of 23,425
HD600 is unforgiving to poorly recorded music. HD650 may just mask the crappiness somewhat, but it also sucks realism and fidelity out of well recorded music. Too much of a compromise to me. 

Ditto!

And anyway, "unforgiving" is exactly what I look for in a headphone, since I wanna know exactly what's in the original recording, which is the whole point of listening in the first place. With headphones that are 'forgiving' why should the majority of songs be oppressed by any particular (undetailed/forgiving) headphone for the sake of a few rogue poorly recorded songs? Doesn't make sense. Headphones ought to be thoroughly accurate in their presentation without bias I would have thought, and showing as much detail as possible, including any flaws in the song.

I did A/B tests before I bought the HD600, since both the HD600 and HD650 had reputation, and I felt that the 650 was slightly congested overall in it's presentation, endearing yes, but entirely clear, no! There was lower bass grittiness with a slight hump and a bit of veil in the lower highs and an overall warmish tone. Didn't like it at all. The HD600 sounded true and clear and detailed to my ears. I was using an "OPPO HA-2
Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC" to do the A/B test.

May 13, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #14,630 of 23,425
  Agreed, I found SS to be generally flatter sounding than tubes even with lower impedance headphones.

Try a JDS Labs C5D DAC/Amp with the HD 600 and tell me that you still think SS sounds flat. The C5D is more dynamic than Dr Who, and with tons of swing power too. It's like the Hulk, but doesn't embellish the music. That guy at JDS is onto something, I think maybe he knows a thing or two.

May 13, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #14,631 of 23,425
Try a JDS Labs C5D DAC/Amp with the HD 600 and tell me that you still think SS sounds flat. The C5D is more dynamic than Dr Who, and with tons of swing power too. It's like the Hulk, but doesn't embellish the music. That guy at JDS is onto something, I think maybe he knows a thing or two.
One thing is obvious, they don't know how to make a tube amp.

May 13, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #14,632 of 23,425

Tried the JDS Objective 2, it sounded clean and decent but it wasn't as dynamic sounding as my Bottlehead Crack with Speedball. My current amp the T3 is about 2 tiers above the crack in Dynamics, although it's a hybrid. Solid state can still sound very dynamic, but tubes are not flat when implemented right.

May 14, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #14,633 of 23,425

Tried the JDS Objective 2, it sounded clean and decent but it wasn't as dynamic sounding as my Bottlehead Crack with Speedball. My current amp the T3 is about 2 tiers above the crack in Dynamics, although it's a hybrid. Solid state can still sound very dynamic, but tubes are not flat when implemented right.

T3 is a sick combination with the HD650. Very nice.

May 14, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #14,639 of 23,425
  Just returned my first HD600 to Amazon -- Kept having the annoying slight rattling sound at certain audio frequencies on the right channel. Someone here suggested it might have been a hair or something stuck on the driver , which is what it sounded like but I didn't feel comfortable taking it apart to find out -- they were brand new, so I'm not sure what the likelihood of something like that escaping the attention of quality control..

UPS picked them up on Thursday  and just got my replacement today! Super stoked now that I have a perfectly functioning pair and how well & quickly Amazon handled the transaction.  Just wondering if anyone else here has ever ended up with a defective high-end headphone? I imagine it doesn't happen all that often.

May 14, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #14,640 of 23,425
I find T1 to be a combination of HD600 and DT880 while being technicaly step up.

But it's also technically a step up in price too. The T1 (v1) floats around the FS/FT forums for about $500 every so often while you can find HD600s at little more than half the price.

Just returned my first HD600 to Amazon -- Kept having the annoying slight rattling sound at certain audio frequencies on the right channel. Someone here suggested it might have been a hair or something stuck on the driver , which is what it sounded like but I didn't feel comfortable taking it apart to find out -- they were brand new, so I'm not sure what the likelihood of something like that escaping the attention of quality control..

UPS picked them up on Thursday  and just got my replacement today! Super stoked now that I have a perfectly functioning pair and how well & quickly Amazon handled the transaction.  Just wondering if anyone else here has ever ended up with a defective high-end headphone? I imagine it doesn't happen all that often.

Things escape quality control sometimes, especially when they tend to be produced in slightly higher numbers than others, like the HD600. QC will check the basics like whether both drivers actually produce sound and how well put together the headphone is, but things like a very slight rattle could be missed since testing tends to focus more on things like computer-measured distortion and whether the sound reproduction is within the correctly tuned frequency range. I haven't personally gotten a defective high-end headphone, but it happens. Somewhere to occasionally to very rarely will someone get a defective high-end headphone and when they do, companies and manufacturers try to get that resolved ASAP. No company ever wants word to spread that their production QC is bad or lazy, they can live with people assuming it was a one-time fluke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back