Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
May 11, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #14,581 of 23,468
Tom,
   I read a LOT of online comments and reviews before picking up my Vali 1.  Universally folks recommend a nice tube amp over a SS one for the synergy with the HD600.  That said there are obviously a great number of excellent solid state amps that would work very well with the HD600 too.  I just don't have any recommendations for you.
   BTW the Vali 1 (now discontinued) was my first tube amp although I did play with friend's McIntosh and Dynaco back in the day.   It's not one that you can "tube roll" for and it does require 30 seconds or so for the subminature tubes to settle down without any microphonics.  Other tube amps require a bit (not long at all) to warm up too but frankly I don't see that as a negative in any way.
   Oh keep in mind that the Valhalla 2 works well with high impedence cans like the Senns but not so much with cans having much lower ohm ratings.  So if you might want to pair it with low impedence cans or IEMs later you'll be disappointed.  In that respect the Vali 1 (used) or Vali 2 or Crack/Speedball are better options.
    I don't personally see any negatives and only positives with mating the HD600 to a tube amp over a SS one.

May 11, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #14,582 of 23,468
  Tom,
   I read a LOT of online comments and reviews before picking up my Vali 1.  Universally folks recommend a nice tube amp over a SS one for the synergy with the HD600.  That said there are obviously a great number of excellent solid state amps that would work very well with the HD600 too.  I just don't have any recommendations for you.
   BTW the Vali 1 (now discontinued) was my first tube amp although I did play with friend's McIntosh and Dynaco back in the day.   It's not one that you can "tube roll" for and it does require 30 seconds or so for the subminature tubes to settle down without any microphonics.  Other tube amps require a bit (not long at all) to warm up too but frankly I don't see that as a negative in any way.
   Oh keep in mind that the Valhalla 2 works well with high impedence cans like the Senns but not so much with cans having much lower ohm ratings.  So if you might want to pair it with low impedence cans or IEMs later you'll be disappointed.  In that respect the Vali 1 (used) or Vali 2 or Crack/Speedball are better options.
    I don't personally see any negatives and only positives with mating the HD600 to a tube amp over a SS one.

I'm personally using a SS amp, but agree with this statement wholly. And if you get something that has exposed tubes, your desk also looks cooler
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #14,583 of 23,468
Ii'm running the Valhalla 2 with the Bifrost 4490 and couldn't be happier. For the price it is one incredible sounding amp. The Bottlehead crack will give you a more lush sound that's what you're looking for whereas the V2 will give you a truer sense of the actual recording. And then there is tube rolling to get the specific sound you are looking for. Either way you can't go wrong!

May 11, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #14,584 of 23,468
I think it's better to just buy a HD 650 rather than using a colourfier / tube amp to be honest. 

May 11, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #14,585 of 23,468
I'm personally using a SS amp, but agree with this statement wholly. And if you get something that has exposed tubes, your desk also looks cooler :D

I prefer a sleek box of modern electronics.
That's just me. I'm not into retro and I have a hard time believing that things haven't moved on in the last fifty years or so.
I'm interested to hear that SS need to warm up to give their best. Any real evidence for this?

May 11, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #14,587 of 23,468
Here we go again
frown.gif

The HD600 versus HD650 *and* tubes versus solid state amp arguements should be taken elsewhere. 

May 11, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #14,588 of 23,468
  Here we go again
frown.gif

The HD600 versus HD650 *and* tubes versus solid state amp arguements should be taken elsewhere. 

If you read back, it's about hi-hat and cymbal problems with the HD 600, something that the HD 650 doesn't have and is thus an easy solution (and thus no need for a colourfier). 

May 11, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #14,589 of 23,468
I prefer a sleek box of modern electronics.
That's just me. I'm not into retro and I have a hard time believing that things haven't moved on in the last fifty years or so.
I'm interested to hear that SS need to warm up to give their best. Any real evidence for this?

SS amps need warming up? Haven't heard about that. I just turn mine on, plug in my headphones, and off to audio bliss I go. To be fair, I'm also running an SS amp partly for the looks and how it fits in with the rest of the stuff on my desk. Glowing tubes do look cool though, but in terms of looks and matching surroundings, I'll be sticking with my current stack of items.

May 11, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #14,591 of 23,468
Here we go again :frowning2:

This seems to happen every few pages.

May 11, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #14,592 of 23,468
Imo, the Valhalla 2 is better sound with the Hd600 than any solid state at the same price (tho I certainly haven't heard them all). You don't want to leave Valhalla powered on all the time, since that would shorten tube life. But when you turn it on to listen, it will mute for 30 seconds and then give great sound from the start.
BOTH solid state and tube amps sound their best after a long warmup, so no advantage/disadvantage there.

Thanks Bill, appreciate the good info.  Fascinating that the solid state needs to be warm also. I had not heard that and had figured that it was a binary off or on scenario. Interesting.  I have wondered about the more expensive schitt amp the Mjolnir 2.  It's considerably more expensive but seems to be capable of both solid state and tube.  I am intrigued by that. Anyone have any experience with  that one and the HD 600?  Is it worth the increased expense over the Valhalla 2? 

Thanks for all input.  I am flying blind here. 

May 11, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #14,593 of 23,468
  Tom,

Thanks very much Bob.  Really appreciate the feedback.  Indeed.  I rememeber the Dynaco's and the Mc's!  

May 11, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #14,594 of 23,468
Ii'm running the Valhalla 2 with the Bifrost 4490 and couldn't be happier. For the price it is one incredible sounding amp. The Bottlehead crack will give you a more lush sound that's what you're looking for whereas the V2 will give you a truer sense of the actual recording. And then there is tube rolling to get the specific sound you are looking for. Either way you can't go wrong!

Thanks DeadHead57 -  Great to hear that that combination is working well for you.  I am steering clear of the crack since I am not a "kit" type.  I remember my brother and father (both EE's) back in the 1960's loving the Heathkit stuff and building some cool projects.  It was clear that they could build them and I could enjoy them.  lol 

May 11, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #14,595 of 23,468

Here we go again
frown.gif

This seems to happen every few pages.

Thanks PinkyPowers,
   We had one guy touting the HD650 over preceived faults with the HD600.  This in a HD600 thread and despite not only my not hearing what he claims but literally thousands of engineers and staff using the HD600 in recording and master studios because of its quality SQ.  Even Tyll at InnerFidelity prefers the HD600 to the HD650 for his Wall of Fame.  Can you spell Troll?
   And another guy pronouncing tubes to be last generations technology obviously not worthy of consideration.
   Guess Billheiser missed this stuff
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back