Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 31, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #10,231 of 23,456
  I have a hard time hearing any difference with a good sub $100 amp vs a $500+ amp. So I doubt I would notice anything to do with the cable. I'm sure Sennheiser would tap into a "magic" cable if there was one.

+1. I think I've got a decent DAC/Amp combo so I won't be updating and I've only gotten an aftermarket cable cuz the stock one is too long for my needs.

Jan 31, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #10,233 of 23,456
  i cant decide, hd600 with bottlehead crack or hd650 with bottlehead crack for female vocal ?=/
or even fidelio x2 / k7xx with synergy amp. which one will be better in sound quality?

cant decide after you listen to them or after reading the reviews?

here's my take on it. my genre is pop, club jazz, and bossa. All in japanese, so the arrangement could be very different with US songs. I don't play musical instruments either so i don't really know the names of all musical instruments.

On my own audition, hd650+OTL tube amp vs. hd600 + decent DAP, the two doesn't really differ that much. I can agree to posts that were made a couple pages back (including replies to my own questions) that the two are very close to each other in terms of sound signature.

the differences
hd650 = thicker lower midrange and more bass quantity, resulting in it sounding more musical
hd600 = more neutral midrange and less bass quantity, resulting in it sounding more accurate

fidelio x2 = Warm sound signature with a good amount of bass, not good for female vocals. hd650 and hd600 are more natural for female vocals than the fidelio x2. As for myself, i would never buy fidelio x2 to listen to female-vocals emphasized songs.

akg k7xx = never heard of them so can't comment on it. I did read reviews of various AKG Q and K 7xx models, but it's not a replacement of listening to the myself.

hd650 and hd600 comes down to one's preference as my experience proved the past couple days.
Fidelio x2 is not good for female vocals to me, but if you like your bass, there's a chance you might like them.

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #10,234 of 23,456
The X2, if it's true that it sounds like the X1, isn't the same sound signature at all as the HD's. It's a VERY thick and warm headphone. The bass is prominent and everything kinda tips downward from there. It's a headphone for people who want a bassy, big sound with an open headphone. Not natural, but super fun.

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #10,235 of 23,456
Having owned HD600 for three months, I must say it is really a great headphone and extremely ear pleasing to me. Although the soundstage is not quite impressive,I like the engaging sound and close atmosphere it creates. IMO, it is definitely one of the collectibles for those who love Sennheiser.

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #10,236 of 23,456
  i cant decide, hd600 with bottlehead crack or hd650 with bottlehead crack for female vocal ?=/
or even fidelio x2 / k7xx with synergy amp. which one will be better in sound quality?

Other than driving and impedance matchup, IMO synergy is overrated. If one prefers the sound of a tube amp, then that's another story, but one should find a tube amp that can really deliver that sound and do it well. Some tube amps are so clean that they sound like an SS amp. You ready to start rolling?

Jan 31, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #10,238 of 23,456
  The X2, if it's true that it sounds like the X1, isn't the same sound signature at all as the HD's. It's a VERY thick and warm headphone. The bass is prominent and everything kinda tips downward from there. It's a headphone for people who want a bassy, big sound with an open headphone. Not natural, but super fun.

According to Tyll Hertsen's recent review, the X2 does not sound like the X1. 

Feb 1, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #10,241 of 23,456
I don't know about the Valhalla 2, but I had the Vahalla and the Crack at the same time. I sold the Valhalla.

I just rolled some Amperex 7308s into my Valhalla 2, and it completely transformed this head amp for the better. See my post if interested in the "Valhalla 2 review coming" thread. 

The two biggest improvements were a much more natural and sweeter overall sound, and a significant improvement on the bass response. These tubes on a Val 2 markedly improve the bass repsonse of HD600s. 

Feb 1, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #10,242 of 23,456

I just rolled some Amperex 7308s into my Valhalla 2, and it completely transformed this head amp for the better. See my post if interested in the "Valhalla 2 review coming" thread. 

The two biggest improvements were a much more natural and sweeter overall sound, and a significant improvement on the bass response. These tubes on a Val 2 markedly improve the bass repsonse of HD600s. 

Interesting. My only experience with audio so far is solid state but would love to try tubes someday.

Feb 1, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #10,245 of 23,456
Hi All.
I hate to start another which Amp/Dac question, but.... I just ordered a pair of HD600 from Rakuten. With what I have read and the price they had them for I figured I would take a chance. Where I live there is no place to listen to headphones within 3 hours. I listen through my laptop. I'm over 60 ,so I have some high frequency loss. Would like to spend $250.00ish on a dac/headphone amp combo. Don't need any portability. As my wife likes to say I have paralysis from analysis (happens often).
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Howard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back