Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 28, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #10,156 of 23,501

how bright is the hd600 in comparison to hd650?
I know from "search thread" feature that some time ago you auditioned 600 650 700 at length a couple times and decide on the 600.
I've read so many posts in a very short term without pacing myself that my memory is blurry who said what.

The HD600 and HD650 sit on either side of a midpoint, IMO. Neither is perfectly neutral, but the HD600 is a bit brighter while the HD650 is warmer. That's all. It's not like you're going to put the HD600 on after the 650 and thing you're listening to the Grado RS1 or that if you have the HD600 the 650 sounds like a pair of Beats. It's more like the 600 is a detail oriented and the 650 is a tad more laid back. They are NOT that far away from one another.

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #10,157 of 23,501
There is this as well:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/very-important-sennheiser-hd-580-hd-600-and-hd-650

Just a little bit more info.

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #10,158 of 23,501
^ that's a great comparison. I disagree with his final decision (I definitely prefer the 650 to the 600) but then again Tyll values the neutrality. So I can't argue with him that based on his criteria it's a better purchase. 

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #10,160 of 23,501

But brooko, i can't say my findings is as you said on your report, "as with all of the comparisons so far, the differences are small, and it’s only by rapid A/B comparisons I’m able to pick up the differences".
Even with "casual listening" the hd650 has noticeably more electric guitar presence that overwhelms the piano.

Thanks for the detailed reply.  Difficult to comment further - especially as there are a number of factors which you may have which are impossible for me to replicate ......

1. By the sounds of things, the HD600 you tried were 'aged' and not sure what condition pads were in - this can dramatically affect sound
  2. Not sure how old HD650 were that you tried,  New silver driver HD650's are much closer to HD600 sound
  3. My critical comparisons were in a quiet room, volume matched (SPL meter), on consistent equipment with same tracks.  Yours were somewhat different

In my listening, the HD650 actually rendered instruments with a deeper timbre slightly better (cello, piano etc),  Anyway - I wish you luck on your search.  If it's any use, Rizki compared same HD600 and HD650 on his own equipment and reported similar findings to mine.  Others recently in this thread have said same.

Either one you choose should make you happy - both wonderful headphones and worthy of hifi status.

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #10,161 of 23,501
I can vouch to that. When I compared both using the HDVA 600, I used their standard single ended cable and plugged both to the amp at the same time for faster switching. Much to my surprise, I did not find a lot of difference.

Furthermore, when I was casually listening to music without critically examining them, I often forget which one I was wearing. The only cue I have of which one I was wearing was from the comfort factor (Paul's HD600 was - or is more comfortable than my HD650).

I personally would say this: If I can have only 1 headphone, I would go for the HD600. If I need something to complement other brighter cans (like in my case, the HD800 and K812), I would go for the HD650. Though to be honest, would not really matter if I have the HD600 instead of the HD650 to complement those brighter cans...

Jan 28, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #10,162 of 23,501
Not sure if I should ask this here but what would be a clear and worthwhile upgrade from the HD 600? I wouldn't consider anything an improvement if I had to give up comfort or durability in any way though. And I would want to keep it under $1000. I would consider going used if I had to. I like a good value also, one of the reasons I love the HD 600. I will likely never get rid of it, but I would like to at least experiment with the idea that there might be something better out there without spending upwards of $1,500. I considered the HD 800 but it seems too big or heavy, not sure how comfortable it will be. I need something I can wear all day.

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #10,163 of 23,501
  Not sure if I should ask this here but what would be a clear and worthwhile upgrade from the HD 600? I wouldn't consider anything an improvement if I had to give up comfort or durability in any way though. And I would want to keep it under $1000. I would consider going used if I had to. I like a good value also, one of the reasons I love the HD 600. I will likely never get rid of it, but I would like to at least experiment with the idea that there might be something better out there without spending upwards of $1,500. I considered the HD 800 but it seems too big or heavy, not sure how comfortable it will be. I need something I can wear all day.

for under $1000, I think of the HD700.  Not everyone likes the treble, but I have enjoyed it very much, during short auditions.  It's also the most comfortable headphone I've ever had on my punkin head.

The Denon D7000 is worth considering too.

I haven't heard the HE560 yet but it has a lot of fans.  Not sure if the comfort will qualify.

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #10,164 of 23,501

If u want something with a similar sound signature the HD700 is a nice sounding headphone. For some that sound different the HE-560 or Beyer T90 are 2 very good headphones under $1000 and are a couple I'm looking at as an upgrade over my HD600 and HE-400. 

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #10,165 of 23,501

IMO it is very difficult to find a 'clear' upgrade for the HD600. For example, the T1 is a clear upgrade from the DT880 (better in every single way) and the K812 is a clear upgrade from the K/Q70x. But the HD800 is IMO not a clear upgrade from the HD600. It certainly is technically better, but I don't think it is better in every single way than the HD600.

It is very comfortable though, IMO the most comfortable headphone currently available (certainly the most comfortable I've ever tried).

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #10,166 of 23,501
I see. I recently reviewed the DT 990 and found it overly bright and harsh. I hear similar about the HD 700 or 800. What I love with the 600 are the mids and overall natural detail. Vocals are amazing. So I guess I would be looking for more of the same in an upgrade, but to a noticeably greater degree. Maybe that doesn't exist though. If that's the case that's cool too!

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #10,167 of 23,501

Which is also another question for people here... how bright is the hd600 in comparison to hd650?

i know StanD, i know it's just a B-schiit.
i really don't want to buy the same random IEM for $18 just to be able to try the hd600 for another 5 minutes though. And they're the only store in a 100 miles radius that has hd600 demo.

how bright is the hd600 in comparison to hd650?
I know from "search thread" feature that some time ago you auditioned 600 650 700 at length a couple times and decide on the 600.
I've read so many posts in a very short term without pacing myself that my memory is blurry who said what.

On that post did you state why you prefer the hd600? and if you didn't, can i ask why?
is it similar reason with my vocals clarity impression and electric-guitar piano difference impression?

my hd600 listening session is unreliable to be based as a comparison to hd650. i can tell for sure that i prefer electric-piano guitars separation on my ma-900 or AD compared to the hd650 though.

I consider HD600 to be neutral, not overly treble in any way. I consider the HD650 to be a little lighter in treble and a little heavier in bass compared to neutral. The keyword here is little which for me was enough to favor the HD600. I thought that the HD600 was a little better for vocals. I spent a great deal of time comparing them because they were close in sound, I was pondering the extra bass of the HD650 vs.the better neutrality of the HD600's and in the end went for the HD600's. I was going to buy the HD700's but found them too strident. If my budget was larger I would have got the HD800's. At a later date I got the HE-500's which at the time cost more than the HD700's.

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #10,168 of 23,501

The Phillips X2 are getting a lot of hype right now as a HD600 with better bass and soundstage. Tyll at Innerfidelity reviewed them saying that if the X2 were higher impedance that they would have knocked the HD600 off his wall of fame. Not sure if they really live up to that kind of hype as I haven't heard them, but Tyll is a well respected reviewer.

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #10,169 of 23,501
  I consider HD600 to be neutral, not overly treble in any way. I consider the HD650 to be a little lighter in treble and a little heavier in bass compared to neutral. The keyword here is little which for me was enough to favor the HD600. I thought that the HD600 was a little better for vocals. I spent a great deal of time comparing them because they were close in sound, I was pondering the extra bass of the HD650 vs.the better neutrality of the HD600's and in the end went for the HD600's. I was going to buy the HD700's but found them too strident. If my budget was larger I would have got the HD800's. At a later date I got the HE-500's which at the time cost more than the HD700's.

How do the HE-500's compare to the HD 600. I too love the neutrality and natural sound of the 600.

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #10,170 of 23,501

I have the HD650s and am considering the HE-500s or anything else up to $1000.00. Any other suggestions??

Thanks,

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back