Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
May 5, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #316 of 23,456
Thanks for the replies:- hopefully the grain will be significantly less than my HD595's.  It's good to hear that there is no distortion as I said in my previous post.  The headphones will be burnt in when I get them, so they should be good to go - though I won't be able to enjoy the experience of a fresh pair.

May 6, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #317 of 23,456
Mike Ting from Headfonia recently asked me on Twitter how the HD 600 was for heavy rock/metal music. I shared my response on his site and it seems fitting to also share it here. FYI: Though this review is geared towards rock music, these days I tend to listen to many different styles of music.

Firstly, the HD600 has changed the way I hear music, wonderfully so.

I find the HD 600 quite neutral and with them, I hear the details on a recording with plenty of pace and clarity and nothing seems to be overemphasized; the HD600 clearly portrays the whole picture of the recordings I hear. It’s a great all-round headphone that can work really well with most types of music, including rock music.

Rocking out with the HD 600

With the HD600, if I listen to music such as heavy rock and metal, I can certainly rock out, and the ‘rock out factor’ is largely determined by the quality and sonic balance of the recording I’m listening to. Using the HD 600 and flat EQ, I’m probably more likely to rock out and move to recordings that have more low-end weight which moves the HD 600 diaphragms more.

‘Freedom’ by Rage Against The Machine is an example of a heavy rock recording that has quite a bit of low-end weight to it. I just listened to it with the HD 600 in the process of writing this and found myself rocking and moving my body, quite enjoyably. 
smile.gif

The HD 600 provides a subtler experience of rock music than with headphones such as the Sennheiser HD 25-1 or Grado PS-1, which are more ‘forward,’ sounding, and the HD 600 and could be described as a bit thin or light for some tastes, but if the recording is of good quality then the HD 600 will reflect that and reveal the vibe of the music with clarity.

With the HD 600, the sonic detail and quality of well-recorded music is a treat. Music with relatively complex parts e.g. Lateralus’ by Tool is great to hear. With the HD 600, the drums on ‘Lateralus’ have plenty of PRaT, though at the end of the song, I’ve sometimes wanted to feel more sub bass, but I enjoy hearing the bass relative to the other parts of the recording. It seems that when I use the HD 600, I constantly listen to the overall picture of the music as my default perspective.

With fast-paced music, such as songs by the heavy metal band Slayer, the HD 600 isn’t as ‘forward’ and ‘aggressive’ as headphones like the Grado PS-I can make music sound, but the HD600 is a relatively softer listen and easier on the ears which still provides plenty of pace and clarity.

If you intend to listen to faster-paced rock music with the HD 600, I’d also recommend using a DAC/Amp to enhance clarity and impact. When I used the HD 600 via my laptop’s headphone out, the details in fast rock music were rather difficult to hear, but the DAC/Amp I used was quite inexpensive and made the computer noise disappear and the music sound clearer with more visceral impact, which I found satisfying.

Some overall impressions of the HD 600

The HD 600 is a great all-round, neutral sounding headphone that facilitates hearing the whole picture of a recording. Listening with the HD 600 is what I imagine it would be like to listen to music via high-quality neutral-sounding monitor speakers with a thin sheet of fabric between the speakers and my ears (to illustrate how the HD 600 seems to soften the treble slightly).

I really enjoy the HD 600, and rank it among the ‘best’ headphones on the planet at this (‘best’ being totally subjective, of course). Someone I know who owns a Sennheiser Orpheus said that ‘you can’t go wrong with the HD 600,’ and I think that says a lot. They're both enjoyable headphones to use.

But at the end of the day, it’s the music that matters. Since I got the HD 600, I stopped listening to headphones and started listening to music more. The HD 600 really get out of the way and put the music on display. I like that. 
smile_phones.gif

May 6, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #318 of 23,456
Thank you Windsor, it's been very hard to find impressions about the HD 600 with rock and metal, and not really extensive write ups either. Every where I look it's another recommendation for a Grado, and I'm just not a fan of them. At least the ones in the same price range. I thought about going for the DT 880/600 but I feel that's a slippery slope where I'll want more and more clarity and start expecting too much from my music. At that point I would only start listening to well recorded music, and at that point it's not longer about the music.

I thought I wanted more clarity until I heard the HD 600, and then I wasn't sure anymore. I'm still trying to decide if the HD600 is what I want. When I first heard them they weren't too impressive but I know they'll grow on me.

May 6, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #319 of 23,456

Quote:

But at the end of the day, it’s the music that matters. Since I got the HD 600, I stopped listening to headphones and started listening to music more. The HD 600 really get out of the way and put the music on display. I like that. 
smile_phones.gif

This pretty much mimic's my sentiments regarding the Senn HD600's. Since I got mine last June I haven't felt the desire to own another pair of open headphones because I have dissociated the gear from the music. I just listen and enjoy...the thinking really ends with that 
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #320 of 23,456
I can't stand the HD600 with hard rock/metal though. For me, there's just not enough impact and it's too laid back. However, it's pretty good for classic and progressive rock. 

May 9, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #321 of 23,456
I must have missed it somewhere, as I didn't go through all 22 pages, but you're saying there is a new model of the HD600? How do you tell whether you have the old or new model and what's the difference?

Quote:
Hi guys, I've just ordered a pair which are approximately 4-5 years old, so I'm not really banking on them being this "new" model, and just hope that both models are very similar (if not the same) in sound quality.  I don't have a desktop amp yet, but I sort of want to hear what the cans will sound like out of my Xonar D1 and FiiO E7, and then when I get my E9, be gob-smacked with the improvement in SQ =]

I've read somewhere in this topic that the HD600's have a bit of grain.  I currently have the HD595 and I definitely notice the grain in these, plus the occurrence of standing waves and some distortion in the mids/highs at moderate-high volume (not high enough to even begin hurting my ears).

Will the HD600's fix this?

May 13, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #322 of 23,456

Quote:
I must have missed it somewhere, as I didn't go through all 22 pages, but you're saying there is a new model of the HD600? How do you tell whether you have the old or new model and what's the difference?

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/318945/old-vs-new-hd580-600s-hd650s

Anyway, currently amping my HD600 with B&O Beocenter 8500 at the moment.  Not sure if I notice any difference from amping out of my Xonar D1 or my FiiO E7, and I'm normally good at spotting differences heh. :S

At least the beocenter doesn't distort the bass when you input 0dB to it and bass boost.

May 13, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #324 of 23,456
OMG - I can't believe what a difference a DAC/Amplifier can make..
I thought I was doing well with the FiiO E7/E9 combo.  It drives the HD600 quite effortlessly.
I had my eyes on the Matrix Mini-i before I knew about the FiiO. I started with the E7 and soon realized that it did not have the power to drive the HD600 properly so I added the E9. Nice addition.

I have been interested in the Matrix Mini-i after reading a number of reviews so I finally pulled the trigger on it.  It came in today and all I can say is WOW!  Never thought that the HD600 could pump out so much bass. Incredible soundstage and an overall sound that is smooth as silk. So smooth that it's very easy to listen to them at very high levels.  Highs are a bit recessed but the Matrix has only been up and running for just over an hour.  The plan is to run it continuously for the next few days and see how the sound changes.

HD600 & FiiO E7/E9 - effortless & true to the source - really shines with well recorded source music - bass is there when needed but seems lacking at times
HD600 & Matrix Mini-i (initial impressions) - smooth as silk - nice bass impact - nice soundstage - highs seem a little recessed - very listenable, almost tube like

The bottom line is that the HD600's can really sing and put out some really nice bass.

May 14, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #326 of 23,456
The highs are definitely there and quite sweet and smooth - just not as prominent as the FiiO E7/E9 setup.  The Matrix Mini-i is definitely a desktop setup.

May 15, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #327 of 23,456
I am amping my SXC HD600 with Burson HA-160, quite like it even just right out of the box

May 15, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #328 of 23,456
Glad to read (earlier) here in this thread that the Cardas HD600 cable is among the best for these awesome cans. But where can I find one at a decent price? If there is anyone here with an extra, feel free to PM me! I would love to hear how this time-tested cable improves the sound quality! Cheers, Vince

May 15, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #329 of 23,456

I'd like to try a Cardas cable too just to compare it to Mogami (which I love). I'd prefer to make my own though. The Cardas Starquad is $8.25 a foot but it seems harder to find. It'd be interesting to find more comparisons between the Mogami, Double Helix and Cardas. I want to find a cable that offers the most detail, clearest sound but while still remaning neutral. Has anyone compared the DH to Cardas? Making an HD-600 cable isn't too hard. Easier than making a K702 cable for sure.

Here's the website I've found that sells the Cardas in bulk:
http://www.takefiveaudio.com/mall/shopexd.asp?id=772

(I don't work for them and it's based on Canada).

Any other good sources for bulk Cardas?

I believe that above website also makes them.

Wish there was more (cheaper) cable reviews. It usually just turns into arguments. I personally heard a difference when I upgraded all my cables and that's all that matters.
If the DH or Cardas was even 3-5% better than the Mogami than it'd be worth it. I know it's hard to put the differences into a percentage!

My mogami just made improvements without making any changes in it's signature.
Quote:
Glad to read (earlier) here in this thread that the Cardas HD600 cable is among the best for these awesome cans. But where can I find one at a decent price? If there is anyone here with an extra, feel free to PM me! I would love to hear how this time-tested cable improves the sound quality! Cheers, Vince

May 18, 2011 at 6:47 AM Post #330 of 23,456
I have a question for you guys with hd600's. Have you heard the hd650's and how do they compare? I remember I once went to my local headphone shop and tried the 600s and 650s side by side through my iPhone (the amp was being used by someone else) and I must say I definitely liked the HD650 more. HOWEVER, I still have yet to try both of them amped. I only recently purchased an E9 and i think it took the HD600's to a whole new level. I wonder if I would still like the HD650's more though.... guess there's only one way to find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back