Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Feb 5, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #2,603 of 23,469
Recently picked up a wireworld starlight 6 digital coax cable to link between an M2tech Hiface 2 and Nuforce HDP.  The difference between the old monster cable I was using and the wireworld cable are staggering through the 600.  My setup is hiface2 > HDP > Bottlehead Crack.  The new interconnect seemed to really smoothen out and extend the treble while clearing up the muddy mid bass I perviously surmised was the tubes but I now suspect to have been jitter.

Does anyone else have similar cases or finds?

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #2,604 of 23,469
@Jmstrmbn
I haven't been able to experiment with different interconnects but I just ordered a Bottlehead Crack for my HD600.  I'll definitely post my impressions once I receive/assemble the amp.  How are you enjoying the combo (HD600 + Crack)?  

I am currently using a 1st generation X-Cans Amp with my HD600 so I'm hoping for a nice improvement.

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #2,605 of 23,469
Quote:
Recently picked up a wireworld starlight 6 digital coax cable to link between an M2tech Hiface 2 and Nuforce HDP.  The difference between the old monster cable I was using and the wireworld cable are staggering through the 600.  My setup is hiface2 > HDP > Bottlehead Crack.  The new interconnect seemed to really smoothen out and extend the treble while clearing up the muddy mid bass I perviously surmised was the tubes but I now suspect to have been jitter.

Does anyone else have similar cases or finds?

Yes, actually I do. Last night I tried my $35 Cardas HP1 interconnect for my HD-600 and 650 and it made a noticeable improvement.
Someday I might get a Cardas cable for my HD-650/600. $200 is kind of a bit overkill for me for such a small improvement though. I wish Cardas wire was easier to find in bulk, but only one company in canada seems to carry it. I heard it's hard to work with though.

Best thing about this Cardas cable is the build quality and how tangle free it is. It retails for $50 and I would have paid that.
I don't mind paying a little extra for better built cable that's (possibly) made in the USA.

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #2,606 of 23,469
The following is all IMO:

The only other amp I have used the 600s with is the Nuforce HDP. Hands-down the crack is far and above the HDP.  It has a wider soundstage, extends lower in the bottom octaves, and has a more natural timbre.  The Crack seems to layer better as well while the HDP had a relatively flat staging.  This is not to say the HDP is bad, without hearing the Crack I was happy with the HDP but going back and forth between them is a night and day difference in favor of the crack.  I am using the stock crack by the way.  No upgraded caps, tubes, etc.  Another benefit of the Crack is I find that I can really enjoy the music.

The full chain is:

Audirvana + (Direct + Integer)  >  M2Tech Hiface 2  >  Nuforce HDP (DAC)  >  Bottlehead Crack   >  HD600s

Aside from the Wireworld Starlight 6 between the Hiface and HDP all other cables are run-of-the-mill stuff.
I won't get into cables as that's not the point of this thread but I found a HUGE difference between the starlight and the old Monster cable I had been using.  If anyone is interested PM and I will describe the differences/Improvements.

Feb 15, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #2,609 of 23,469
After reading this thread, I couldn't resist.  As if I need another set, but found a good price from a distributor in HK, and they've just arrived.  Out of the box, they sound phenomenal, already.  Am running them through a Fostex HP-A7 while burning them in and listening periodically alongside the HD700, and with classical especially the sound is indescribable, actually brings tears to my eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back