Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 9, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #21,796 of 23,497
So, I had Beyer's DT 770 Pro, AKG K712 Pro and Sundara's - based on internet research, I didn't need HD600 (many sources claim that Sundara is a better headphone). Still, having so many mentions about legendary headphones and seeing their price drop on Amazon below $300, I pulled the trigger and bought one. Testing for 3 days now, and I must say... those are probably the best headphones I have :|

The way they make vocal sound is absolutely amazing, nothing compares. And what surprised me, it's not only for slow music - I thought those are headphones mostly for intimate Jazz listening from a live performance in a small studio and catching all the subtleties, but I was clearly wrong. I listen to pretty heavy stuff (Metal & Symphonic Metal), and they really do a great job. Some of the songs make me feel like the guy is screaming inside my head, amazing experience. There are parts when AKGs K712 Pro are better (soundstage, the overall energy), but I would NEVER tell that HD600 are bad headphones for metal - not at all. They are not too bassy, guitars sound right, vocals are amazing, everything just 'clicks'. I have very little desire to listen to Sundara instead of them. The only small complain I have is that sometimes the treble is not very detailed - like they get 'lost' when we have complex drums / cymbals being played (I don't know the proper technical term for that unfortunately). But this is pretty minor, compared to all the good stuff you get. Never intend to sell those.

Keeping it short - please don't listen to people saying that HD600 don't work for metal and heavy stuff. They do. Very happy.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #21,797 of 23,497
So, I had Beyer's DT 770 Pro, AKG K712 Pro and Sundara's - based on internet research, I didn't need HD600 (many sources claim that Sundara is a better headphone). Still, having so many mentions about legendary headphones and seeing their price drop on Amazon below $300, I pulled the trigger and bought one. Testing for 3 days now, and I must say... those are probably the best headphones I have :|

The way they make vocal sound is absolutely amazing, nothing compares. And what surprised me, it's not only for slow music - I thought those are headphones mostly for intimate Jazz listening from a live performance in a small studio and catching all the subtleties, but I was clearly wrong. I listen to pretty heavy stuff (Metal & Symphonic Metal), and they really do a great job. Some of the songs make me feel like the guy is screaming inside my head, amazing experience. There are parts when AKGs K712 Pro are better (soundstage, the overall energy), but I would NEVER tell that HD600 are bad headphones for metal - not at all. They are not to bassy, guitars sound right, vocals are amazing, everything just 'clicks'. I have very little desire to listen to Sundara instead of them. The only small complain I have is that sometimes the treble is not very detailed - like they get 'lost' when we have complex drums / cymbals being played (I don't know the proper technical term for that unfortunately). But this is pretty minor, compared to all the good stuff you get. Never intend to sell those.

Keeping it short - please don't listen to people saying that HD600 don't work for metal and heavy stuff. They do. Very happy.
~ Welcome to the world of musical enjoyment via HD-600! As you have found by yourself for yourself, the HD-600 does so many things right in music(al) reproduction. The ‘errors’ of the HD-600 are ones of omission rather than commission: that is, ‘99+%’ rather than ‘101+%’ of what is before it.
~ You do not mention what h/p amplifier you are using. As @bagwell359 has so well expressed, you have not heard the HD-600 to its full capabilities until it is driven by a tube output-transformer-less [OTL] headphone amplifier.
~ Simply stated: when a high input impedance headphone is driven by a typically high output impedance OTL amplifier, the headphone sound ‘blossoms’ - delivery, detail, force, frequency/power response all expand in a not subtle way. I hope that this discovery awaits you.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #21,799 of 23,497

The way they make vocal sound is absolutely amazing, nothing compares. And what surprised me, it's not only for slow music - I thought those are headphones mostly for intimate Jazz listening from a live performance in a small studio and catching all the subtleties, but I was clearly wrong. I listen to pretty heavy stuff (Metal & Symphonic Metal), and they really do a great job. Some of the songs make me feel like the guy is screaming inside my head, amazing experience. There are parts when AKGs K712 Pro are better (soundstage, the overall energy), but I would NEVER tell that HD600 are bad headphones for metal - not at all. They are not too bassy, guitars sound right, vocals are amazing, everything just 'clicks'. I have very little desire to listen to Sundara instead of them. The only small complain I have is that sometimes the treble is not very detailed - like they get 'lost' when we have complex drums / cymbals being played (I don't know the proper technical term for that unfortunately). But this is pretty minor, compared to all the good stuff you get. Never intend to sell those.

I haven't used tubes yet but I agree totally about them being good for metal, rock and any heavy music. The thing that makes HD 600 great for ANYTHING is that they don't color the sound and that's just all you need: for gaming, movies, music of any type.

Nov 10, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #21,800 of 23,497
Thinking about the HD 600 for Christmas as first serious cans - tried Hifiman HE400i and wasn't impressed, likely defective pair though.
Can I get some entry level amp and DAC recommendations for HD 600?
On the radar is Topping L30/D10s
Possibly JDS Labs Atom
Schiit Lyr3 w MB DAC

Nov 10, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #21,801 of 23,497
The way they make vocal sound is absolutely amazing, nothing compares.
I've written dozens of pro 600 posts, but I cannot agree with this. Cost no object the Voce and 007 and 009 walk on the 600.

Strictly by price, then basically unbeatable.
And what surprised me, it's not only for slow music - I thought those are headphones mostly for intimate Jazz listening from a live performance in a small studio and catching all the subtleties, but I was clearly wrong. I listen to pretty heavy stuff (Metal & Symphonic Metal), and they really do a great job. Some of the songs make me feel like the guy is screaming inside my head, amazing experience. There are parts when AKGs K712 Pro are better (soundstage, the overall energy), but I would NEVER tell that HD600 are bad headphones for metal - not at all. They are not too bassy, guitars sound right, vocals are amazing, everything just 'clicks'. I have very little desire to listen to Sundara instead of them. The only small complain I have is that sometimes the treble is not very detailed - like they get 'lost' when we have complex drums / cymbals being played (I don't know the proper technical term for that unfortunately). But this is pretty minor, compared to all the good stuff you get. Never intend to sell those.

As I said they don't add but do remove. Let's go from "Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus" to Stanley Clarke's first solo LP to the bass cuts on the first the Chesky Test CD. The 600 does not move enough air and on SS amps starts fading at 85 Hz is notably down at 55 Hz and is gone below 35 Hz.

I have 3 prime cans. The 600 vocal, classical string and piano music.

My HE-500 and HE-6se v1 for everything else.

Does it work for metal? Sure but quite a few options are superior to 600. Not a rip, just reality.

Nov 10, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #21,802 of 23,497
~ You do not mention what h/p amplifier you are using. As @bagwell359 has so well expressed, you have not heard the HD-600 to its full capabilities until it is driven by a tube output-transformer-less [OTL] headphone amplifier.

Thanks for letting me know, I wasn't aware. Any logical choices to match with HD600? Can other headphones I have (K712 Pro, Sundara) also benefit? I'm using JDS Atom stack for now (DAC + Amp).

Does it work for metal? Sure but quite a few options are superior to 600. Not a rip, just reality.

Can you please share some options that are superior and below, say, $1000? Is DT 1990 Pro one of them? Thanks in advance.

Nov 10, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #21,803 of 23,497
Thanks for letting me know, I wasn't aware. Any logical choices to match with HD600? Can other headphones I have (K712 Pro, Sundara) also benefit? I'm using JDS Atom stack for now (DAC + Amp).
For an OTL tube h/p amplifier, a great start is the Schiit Audio Valhalla II ($349). The HD600 will be a happy match to the Valhalla II. I use this coupling in my listening rotation. [The Valhalla II has upgrade tubes in it: a deep topic in the Valhalla thread]. I cannot comment on the AKG or the Sundara.

Nov 11, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #21,804 of 23,497
Other amp options are the Little Dot Mk III, the Darkvoice 336se and the Xduoo TA-26, or, for a little more, the Felix Echo and the White Bird Amplification HPA Master.

Nov 11, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #21,805 of 23,497
Bottlehead crack was my favorite amp pairing with these.

Nov 11, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #21,806 of 23,497

Can you please share some options that are superior and below, say, $1000? Is DT 1990 Pro one of them? Thanks in advance.
I like very much the 1990 Pros with melodic metal, I use them for some genres (black, trash, power and gothic) and the 9200s for other genres (heavy and death, and sometimes some power). No way at all with the Sony Z7 or HD 800.

Another good headphones for metal (althought they lack the resolution of the models I listed) is the Beyer DT 150 that I had.

Nov 11, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #21,807 of 23,497
Any logical choices to match with HD600? Can other headphones I have (K712 Pro, Sundara) also benefit? I'm using JDS Atom stack for now (DAC + Amp).
I use and recommend a vintage receiver or amplifier, 1964 - 1979. Here’s why : vintage receivers have a better headphone jack because of the resistors that lowers the power coming off of the amplifier but you get the sound from the amplifier. Although the resistors protect your headphones from the receiver/ amp’s full power you still get more power than you would from an headphone amp. & the “same” sound coming directly from the amp/ receiver as the speakers do.

Today’s stereo amps have a separate circuit for the headphone jack (like an internal mini headphone amp) and the sound doesn’t measure up to vintage amps. Not even close. The other benefit of a vintage receiver/ amp is the treble, bass knobs and sound filter knobs. I personally love them because you can adjust the sound to your liking. Not every album/ song is well produced. The HD600 really shines with a vintage amp/ receiver. Here’s an excellent YouTube video on vintage receivers as headphone amps which was made by a fellow Head-if member. He talks about the headphone jack in the early part of the video :

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #21,808 of 23,497
I use and recommend a vintage receiver or amplifier, 1964 - 1979. Here’s why : vintage receivers have a better headphone jack because of the resistors that lowers the power coming off of the amplifier but you get the sound from the amplifier. Although the resistors protect your headphones from the receiver/ amp’s full power you still get more power than you would from an headphone amp. & the “same” sound coming directly from the amp/ receiver as the speakers do.

Today’s stereo amps have a separate circuit for the headphone jack (like an internal mini headphone and the sound doesn’t measure up to vintage amps. Not even close. The other benefit of a vintage receiver/ amp is the treble, bass knobs and sound filter knobs. I personally love them because you can adjust the sound to your liking. Not every album/ song is well produced. The HD600 really shines with a vintage amp/ receiver. Here’s an excellent YouTube video on vintage receivers as headphone amps which was made by a fellow Head-if member. He talks about the headphone jack in the early part of the video :

Yes the oldies have the better set-up re power. Still all SE connections. Also don't forget to replace the coupling caps (if not all) before failure.

I do like older gear but driving power hungry cans with a Class A balanced amp via a balanced connection - well I can't imagine any Marantz, Pioneer, Luxman, Sansui, etc. handling that as well. But there was some great tuners back then from those outfits.

Nov 11, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #21,809 of 23,497
Yes the oldies have the better set-up re power. Still all SE connections. Also don't forget to replace the coupling caps (if not all) before failure.

I do like older gear but driving power hungry cans with a Class A balanced amp via a balanced connection - well I can't imagine any Marantz, Pioneer, Luxman, Sansui, etc. handling that as well. But there was some great tuners back then from those outfits.
I’m not convinced about balanced being any different than SE. I’m not good at explaining the technical aspects of audio but I’ve read enough posts on the subject from knowledgeable members in the “Sound Science” section to realize that there really isn’t any difference. I can’t argue the point with you but you can peruse that Forum and you’ll find many posts from “professional” recording people who have debunked this myth about balanced being different or better than SE.

Nov 11, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #21,810 of 23,497

Let’s not forget the Day Sequerra tuner!…
0A91F261-0C80-417B-BC6F-71B1D9F90E9F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back