Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Aug 9, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #19,756 of 23,472
Did the HD-600 use to be cheaper at some point? I was under the impression that they have come down in price after the releases of the 650 and 660s.
They have hovered around $300 for the last ten years but at this moment at Amazon with tax they are a bit over $300 $299+tax but mine came to around $280 including tax but after they sell existing stock they are gone at least that's what I was told from a Sennheiser rep .

So get them before they are gone

Aug 9, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #19,757 of 23,472
I didn't even know about this. So cool!
Screenshot_20190809-100020.png

This is what I want but I'm not sure which 6 series I'll use them on

Aug 9, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #19,759 of 23,472
There are very few Headphones that are on my never sell list and the HD600s and 650s are definitely on that list however the 650 I would keep is the 6XX because I just like the look better .

But I likely will keep at least one of all the 6series and I would like to get a better HD580 jubilee because mine is a bit ratty or maybe I'll just paint it .

Aug 9, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #19,761 of 23,472
There are very few Headphones that are on my never sell list and the HD600s and 650s are definitely on that list however the 650 I would keep is the 6XX because I just like the look better .

But I likely will keep at least one of all the 6series and I would like to get a better HD580 jubilee because mine is a bit ratty or maybe I'll just paint it .

When I first got a HD600 it was $219 IIRC back in Nov 2015 and at the time I was like you that I would never sell them or the HD650 but after hearing and buying a few other headphones I've found that the HD600 was easily replaced with headphones that didn't need an amp. While I have sold them to a friend I still have access to them but these days even my friend who bought them from me doesn't use them much since she likes to walk her dog with headphones so she uses either her HD700 or a custom built Nhoord Red V2 which sound great out of a cheap Fiio X3ii DAP. The only time I would listen to the HD600, HD650 and HD58X these days is for comparisons since I like the convenience of not having to turn on an amp which is why I'll probably get a HD660S when they get to a more reasonable price ($275-$315).

Aug 11, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #19,763 of 23,472
HD600/Burson Soloist SL on the main rig, HD580/Schiit Lyr next to the bed. Haven’t felt any desire to upgrade for a long time, although sometimes I do get crazy and switch the cans around. ;0)

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #19,764 of 23,472

This is what I want but I'm not sure which 6 series I'll use them on

The HD-600 is the one I know best and own. Even when I was felting and dynamating the back plane, it was clear that covering any of the holes radically changed the sound. I don't believe at all the 600's or any of that series that are partially open were designed to be closed. I cannot predict what you'll get (they look nice), but unless you need them to be closed back to use, try t mimic them by putting your hands over them and see how you like that.

Aug 11, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #19,765 of 23,472
The HD-600 is the one I know best and own. Even when I was felting and dynamating the back plane, it was clear that covering any of the holes radically changed the sound. I don't believe at all the 600's or any of that series that are partially open were designed to be closed. I cannot predict what you'll get (they look nice), but unless you need them to be closed back to use, try t mimic them by putting your hands over them and see how you like that.

I have two of almost all of the 6 series except the 660s and the 580 jubilees but I did cover up the backs of HD-6XX and it definitely made a difference and not in a negative way ...
so when I do the Woodies it will be an experiment and I'll judge the outcome then .
I don't have many closed back Headphones I really like and this will be for those time's in the morning when I want to listen but don't want to disturb my wife.

So we will see if it's a worthwhile mod or not
I
was considering buying the 1060Cs because I have heard they isolate well with the wood covers but sound good with the covers removed the only reason I haven't is the build quality issues monoprice has unfortunately been known for.

Aug 11, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #19,766 of 23,472
I have two of almost all of the 6 series except the 660s and the 580 jubilees but I did cover up the backs of HD-6XX and it definitely made a difference and not in a negative way ...
so when I do the Woodies it will be an experiment and I'll judge the outcome then .
I don't have many closed back Headphones I really like and this will be for those time's in the morning when I want to listen but don't want to disturb my wife.

So we will see if it's a worthwhile mod or not
I
was considering buying the 1060Cs because I have heard they isolate well with the wood covers but sound good with the covers removed the only reason I haven't is the build quality issues monoprice has unfortunately been known for.

Well, I'm surprised if Senn/MD had a big hit like the 6XX, and it sounded better covered that they didn't bring it to market. I've heard a lot of open backs, and a few of them with weak bass such as the Fostex FH500RP get helped with adding some amount of coverage on the back - but a well balanced headphone? Can't think of one that sounds better covered. There are far more open back cans that are superb transducers compared to closed back. Look at the MrSpeakers Ether 1.1 Closed - it's really good, and Dan did a lot of work to get it that way. I can't imagine it's likely that he just tossed a cover on it, and that was it.

Obviously on the train or with sleepers near by, closed is the answer. I'd like a pair of those Ether's but the used price is still high.

Aug 11, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #19,767 of 23,472
Well, I'm surprised if Senn/MD had a big hit like the 6XX, and it sounded better covered that they didn't bring it to market. I've heard a lot of open backs, and a few of them with weak bass such as the Fostex FH500RP get helped with adding some amount of coverage on the back - but a well balanced headphone? Can't think of one that sounds better covered. There are far more open back cans that are superb transducers compared to closed back. Look at the MrSpeakers Ether 1.1 Closed - it's really good, and Dan did a lot of work to get it that way. I can't imagine it's likely that he just tossed a cover on it, and that was it.

Obviously on the train or with sleepers near by, closed is the answer. I'd like a pair of those Ether's but the used price is still high.

I use a tube amp not because it's better but because it's different.
I'm not thinking it will improve what much smarter people then me have created but if it makes usable in a different way to fill a need then I'll go for it .worse case scenario is it sounds terrible and I blew a bit of cash.

But you never know till you try .

Aug 11, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #19,768 of 23,472
I'm not thinking it will improve what much smarter people then me have created but if it makes usable in a different way to fill a need then I'll go for it .worse case scenario is it sounds terrible and I blew a bit of cash.

Agree on the tube amp - the BH Crack makes the 600 sing better than my more expensive Rag. I also agree on usability - I don't need closed myself, but if it I did I'd get one or make one.

Aug 12, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #19,769 of 23,472

Don’t forget, also, that different tubes will greatly affect the sound of your tube amp.

Aug 12, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #19,770 of 23,472

Totally agree that a tube amp can be killer with Senns. Don’t forget, also, that different tubes will greatly affect the sound of your tube amp.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers.673709/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back