Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Feb 28, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #17,716 of 23,486

If you bought it new don't get the HM5 pads just yet since you'll have to gut the stock earpads. Wear them out and get the new pads rather than gut $60 pads you technically paid for.

No worries on that front. I believe they had said they were getting a used pair and the reason they were asking about pads was because they always liked to get replacement pads when buying a used pair of headphones. And if the pads are still in good shape, I brought up Mod House Audio, which was mentioned by a user a while back; they sell a 3D-printed printed mounting bracket for putting HM5 (and potentially other) pads onto HD600s without having to destroy your old pair of pads. Very handy. I certainly now know where to go when my HD600 pads wear out and I consider a set of the HM5s.

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #17,717 of 23,486
If you bought it new don't get the HM5 pads just yet since you'll have to gut the stock earpads. Wear them out and get the new pads rather than gut $60 pads you technically paid for.

It is used. I don't yet know the condition of the stock pads except what I saw in 2 images. I will know when I receive them :p

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #17,718 of 23,486

A nice vacation in the Mediterranean comes to mind.

Thanks! I am practically in the middle of it..
gs1000.gif

Take plenty of pictures, iconic memory is overrated..

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #17,719 of 23,486
I was wondering if there s a shorter but still good cable , to replace the original one

Mar 1, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #17,720 of 23,486
Strangely, I compared a pair of 2011 HD600 with 2014 HD600... and found the later one has much better bass response (bass extension is deeper and bass quantity is larger)...

Then I compared the new HD650 with older HD650, and find the new HD650 also sounds much brighter than the older...

So it seems to me that, with each new generation of HD6?? series (or maybe iteration, or version, or update, whatever you prefer to call it...), HD650 is more and more becoming the old HD600, while HD600 is more becoming HD650.

Even though they are more similar to each other now, I can still hear huge difference between HD600 and HD650.

Mar 1, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #17,722 of 23,486
I was wondering if there s a shorter but still good cable , to replace the original one

I have very nice experience with this cable maker in Poland. Excellent workmanship.

http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/category.php?id_category=36

Mar 1, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #17,723 of 23,486
Ty, sadly none of them is available both on amazon.it or ebay.it ...

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #17,724 of 23,486
  Ty, sadly none of them is available both on amazon.it or ebay.it ...

http://www.ebay.it/itm/NEW-Replacement-Audio-Upgrade-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD650-HD600-HD580-Headphone-/172541366806?hash=item282c445216:g:Xy8AAOSwx6pYq02f

This is the same thing. I didnt look so that may not be the cheapest on ebay italy.  I got mine from ebay usa and it is the same as the new fantasia on amazon.  I would think they would be all over aliexpress too.  A bunch of Chinese sellers have them.

Edit:
Although that looks expensive once you add in the shipping  I got mine for $15.20 with free shipping on ebay usa.  One seller runs a weekly auction and this week was won at $9.50.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281238052332
write the seller maybe he will ship to italy instead

Edit 2:

This is the same thing on amazon italy

https://www.amazon.it/Future-aggiornamento-ricambio-Sennheiser-HD650-HD600-HD580/dp/B017TWX9YA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1488400540&sr=8-3&keywords=hd600+cable

in red it even cheaper

https://www.amazon.it/Aggiornamento-NUOVO-rimontaggio-cuffia-Sennheiser/dp/B00UVPXN3K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1488400602&sr=8-2&keywords=hd600+cable

they all just taking the same Chinese cables and putting their own brand name on them

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #17,725 of 23,486
  http://www.ebay.it/itm/NEW-Replacement-Audio-Upgrade-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD650-HD600-HD580-Headphone-/172541366806?hash=item282c445216:g:Xy8AAOSwx6pYq02f

This is the same thing. I didnt look so that may not be the cheapest on ebay italy.  I got mine from ebay usa and it is the same as the new fantasia on amazon.  I would think they would be all over aliexpress too.  A bunch of Chinese sellers have them.

Edit:
Although that looks expensive once you add in the shipping  I got mine for $15.20 with free shipping on ebay usa.  One seller runs a weekly auction and this week was won at $9.50.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281238052332

Edit 2:

This is the same thing on amazon italy

https://www.amazon.it/Future-aggiornamento-ricambio-Sennheiser-HD650-HD600-HD580/dp/B017TWX9YA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1488400540&sr=8-3&keywords=hd600+cable

in red it even cheaper

https://www.amazon.it/Aggiornamento-NUOVO-rimontaggio-cuffia-Sennheiser/dp/B00UVPXN3K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1488400602&sr=8-2&keywords=hd600+cable

they all just taking the same Chinese cables and putting their own brand name on them

write the seller maybe he will ship to italy instead

WoW thank you so much :)  

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #17,726 of 23,486
I hope Sennheiser never stops selling the HD600. I own and I have owned many headphones and the HD600 is one of my favorites. In fact my 2 favorite headphones are the LCD3 and HD600. I just wish Sennheiser some day releases a black HD600. THE HD600B (BLACK EDITION) or something like it.

I would be the first to buy it :)

What you guys think?

For example, among all the AKGs 700 series, the Massdrop 7xx is the best looking one in my opinion. 

is there anyone here with enough influence that can try to convince Sennheiser to create a hd600 black? 

Mar 2, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #17,727 of 23,486
I just got these and I'm fairly irritated by the fact that I see them described as neutral or even lightweight in the bass department everywhere I look. The lower frequencies seem to be pretty obviously played back louder than they should be. Just as an example, listening to the bass on this recording:

setting the equalizer to something like this (I would have to play around with it a bit more to really get it right) sounds way more natural to me and like what I would have expected out of the box.. It sounds unnaturally boomy and tiring over the long term otherwise. Did I just get a lemon? 
confused.gif

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #17,728 of 23,486
I hope Sennheiser never stops selling the HD600. I own and I have owned many headphones and the HD600 is one of my favorites. In fact my 2 favorite headphones are the LCD3 and HD600. I just wish Sennheiser some day releases a black HD600. THE HD600B (BLACK EDITION) or something like it.

I would be the first to buy it :)

What you guys think?

For example, among all the AKGs 700 series, the Massdrop 7xx is the best looking one in my opinion. 

is there anyone here with enough influence that can try to convince Sennheiser to create a hd600 black? 

Just take your apart & paint them!! Problem solved & you have $300 extra...You're very welcome :)

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #17,729 of 23,486
  I just got these and I'm fairly irritated by the fact that I see them described as neutral or even lightweight in the bass department everywhere I look. The lower frequencies seem to be pretty obviously played back louder than they should be. Just as an example, listening to the bass on this recording:

setting the equalizer to something like this (I would have to play around with it a bit more to really get it right) sounds way more natural to me and like what I would have expected out of the box.. It sounds unnaturally boomy and tiring over the long term otherwise. Did I just get a lemon? 
confused.gif

What's your previous reference? That can play heavily into impressions of a headphone, especially initial impressions. I ask this because sound perception is funny. Frequency ranges that measure similarly between two headphones can sound significantly different in actual listening simply because of their association with other ranges. Case in point, I had the opposite problem as you with the HD 600 at first--the upper mids are more forward than I was used to, making everything else sound muted. It was like somebody turned up the 2 kHz and 4 kHz sliders on an EQ. I got used to the new balance, but the bass especially seemed quite anemic at first.

Interestingly, your issue seems to be centered lower than the HD 600 is traditionally capable of reproducing with any authority. The HD 6x0 driver loses its ability to move much air in an open enclosure below about 75 Hz, and the response takes a nosedive thereafter. I'll put it this way--if you have a lemon that's strong down to 60 Hz, I want that lemon. 
smile.gif

Since you mentioned a specific album, I figured I'd check. I don't have any previous listening experience with it, but in a YouTube video I've found of one of the tracks, even through the obvious data rate compression I'm not hearing anything unusual from the bass for an HD 600, so I know it's not an issue with the mastering.

Mar 2, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #17,730 of 23,486

confused.gif

Going by measurements it does have a wide hump, almost a plateau, gently rising from around 60hz (where it's equal to 1000hz, so as much as possible I wouldn't cut there) until around 170hz. Still, on most recordings the bass doesn't get the same "slam" as Grados which have a comparatively narrow peak in the upper bass, and below 60hz the HD600 is already below where 1000hz is.

Even then however upon listening the HD600's bass isn't anything like, say, the HD650, which generally rolls off (very gently though) above 1000hz and has a taller, wider upper bass plateau - from around 40hz to 170hz. It's generally hard to hear for example a double bass with the vocals, but that also has a lot to do with the ambient noise. If the noise floor in your room is a lot lower than everybody else's - like due to a still noisy computer (what people think is silent actually isn't that silent at all) or environmental noise through an open window (I use a smartphone as a music server, but open window has a lot of noise in the neighborhood before 10pm and the heat here makes me run the A/C also) - then it's easier for you to hear the bass, even with the 3500hz hump grabbing your attention more.

That, or the HD600 you got has HD650 drivers in it. Another possibility though is your amp - what are you using? My old CMOY has bloated, lazy bass on it - lots of rumble with no impact. My Little Dot MkII has some impact but it's still overbearing and somewhat loose. My Meier Cantate.2 and my back up, a Pangea HP101, don't have that problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back