Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 21, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #16,966 of 23,425
Ok I have decided to stop this nonsense and get my act together.

I am going to buy a DT 990 I have listened to this review and this guy said its laid back and pretty bassy sound.

Pro version is useless to me because of the heavy dangling cord thats curled up so am hoping for a sale on the Premium edition else I will buy a used one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCgt5s4t8G0&t=40s

So thats it no more changing my mind hopefully there will be another beyer sale

Nov 21, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #16,968 of 23,425

I am going to buy a DT 990 I have listened to this review and this guy said its laid back and pretty bassy sound.

Pro version is useless to me because of the heavy dangling cord thats curled up so am hoping for a sale on the Premium edition else I will buy a used one.

Beyers, almost as a class, are not laid back, and the DT990 especially has a reputation for pronounced brightness. The DT880, which I've had for over six years, is already on the bright side, and the DT990 is basically a DT880 with a smiley face EQ baked in. It will have more midbass, yes, but also considerably more treble. Measurements show this, and virtually every impression I've read confirms it. Anybody that says a DT990 is laid back is firmly in the minority.

That said, I wouldn't classify the HD 600 as laid back, either. The treble is smoother and less prominent than, say, most Beyers, but the overall sound is still quite energetic, IMO, just not in the "massive treble = energetic" sense. The volume limiter for me on the HD 600 is the upper midrange, which I feel is the focus of the sound.

If I had to take a shot in the dark, for the way you've described your tastes, I'd be looking at an HD 650 before any Beyer. It'll miss out on the deep bass extension--this much I can say without having heard one since it's strongly related to the HD 600--but it also bumps down the upper mids of the HD 600 and adds some warmth to the midbass and lower mids, which will result in a warm-tilted sound more in line with a preference for laid back and bassy. Of course it's more expensive than an HD 600 and you'd have to wait for a good deal (maybe look seriously at used), but out of all the options you've mentioned, it sounds the most like what you say you're looking for.

Nov 21, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #16,969 of 23,425

None of what you've been doing is nonsense, much the same way that you refer to the SHP9500 as trash; the SHP9500 isn't trash and you've been doing research, not wasting time. Understandably enough since if you're outside the US, Europe, or Asia, demoing headphones is a tough thing to do. Getting the right one the first time, or at the very least a good one, is important.

If you listen to that guy and decide to buy the DT990 Premium just because of that review, you're doing essentially the same thing as buying a SHP9500 after listening to the review on ZReviews. You'll be rushing into it and based on what I've heard about the general signature of Beyers, you'll be disappointed yet again. This is a thread about the HD600, that's true, but we're on Head-Fi, accepting of all walks of audio life. No one here will rush you into buying an HD600 if it doesn't seem like that's the best fit for your tastes compared to something like Beyerdynamic or Audio-Technica or AKG (which I wouldn't recommend by the way since they sound sorta flat). I like my HD600 as much as the next guy, but my complementary headphone is the TH-X00 for that good bass kick.

Nov 21, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #16,970 of 23,425
  None of what you've been doing is nonsense, much the same way that you refer to the SHP9500 as trash; the SHP9500 isn't trash and you've been doing research, not wasting time. Understandably enough since if you're outside the US, Europe, or Asia, demoing headphones is a tough thing to do. Getting the right one the first time, or at the very least a good one, is important.

If you listen to that guy and decide to buy the DT990 Premium just because of that review, you're doing essentially the same thing as buying a SHP9500 after listening to the review on ZReviews. You'll be rushing into it and based on what I've heard about the general signature of Beyers, you'll be disappointed yet again. This is a thread about the HD600, that's true, but we're on Head-Fi, accepting of all walks of audio life. No one here will rush you into buying an HD600 if it doesn't seem like that's the best fit for your tastes compared to something like Beyerdynamic or Audio-Technica or AKG (which I wouldn't recommend by the way since they sound sorta flat). I like my HD600 as much as the next guy, but my complementary headphone is the TH-X00 for that good bass kick.

Yeah the X00 is an absolute beauty I had a D2000 Denon in the past it was really something. If money wasn't an issue I would grab the X00 in a heartbeat. There wouldn't even be a debate about what headphones to get.

I will buy the replacement pads for my HD 555 for now, this has been the gold standard for me for most of my adult life and its a headphone I am sure about this and the D2000 that is.

I am gonna play it safe for now, don't want a repeat of the shp 9500 episode.

When I save up more money I can likely go for the Fostex

Nov 21, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #16,971 of 23,425

Denon.... You are going insane.... :D you went from laidback, warm and bassy to needle sharp.
I never tested the 990 pro but as you now i have the 770 pro 80 and they are already pretty treble happy. I testedhe 250ohm one and hated it because it had even more treble..... The dt990 is supposed to be the brightest, sharpest beyer.....

Nov 21, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #16,972 of 23,425
LOL yeah so I decided to just buy replacement pads for my HD 555. Can't go wrong with these :D

I actually think the E.A.R technology that sennheiser uses in these are more than just marketing I think its a real thing. This sounds 3D, magical I never found anything that sounded like these.

Nov 21, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #16,973 of 23,425

I wouldn't suggest the DT 990, it's anything but laid-back, I've owned them a few times, treble always got to me. If you want a laid-back Beyer with a HD 600/650-esque sound, the DT 150 is the one to get if you can get past it's looks. 

Nov 21, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #16,974 of 23,425

Yeah the X00 is an absolute beauty I had a D2000 Denon in the past it was really something. If money wasn't an issue I would grab the X00 in a heartbeat. There wouldn't even be a debate about what headphones to get.

I will buy the replacement pads for my HD 555 for now, this has been the gold standard for me for most of my adult life and its a headphone I am sure about this and the D2000 that is.

^^this^^
The only reason I didn't mention X00 before was what I perceived to be your price range. In that price range I would still call your attention to X2 for the bassy signature you're craving (I have not heard HD650 so can't compare or comment). My X00 Purplehearts are immensely enjoyable, they have a similar "fun" sound signature to X2 but better in almost every area except soundstage width. My ears classify them as X2's but with resolution approaching or equal to HD600. YMMV.

I personally never found X2 uncomfortable despite the weight. After something like 1-2 weeks I got used to them and hardly noticed them on my head anymore.They melted into my skull the more I wore them.

Realize though, that X00 and X2 will "color" the sound...if you're after a musical experience exactly as the artist intended it (say, jazz or classical) then a "neutral" or "natural" headphone would be more advisable.

That's why I like to have both, as a compliment to each other :) My current pairing is Stax with X00, and I couldn't be happier! Well, not without spending thousands more :p

Nov 21, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #16,975 of 23,425
Denon.... You are going insane....
biggrin.gif
you went from laidback, warm and bassy to needle sharp.
I never tested the 990 pro but as you now i have the 770 pro 80 and they are already pretty treble happy. I testedhe 250ohm one and hated it because it had even more treble..... The dt990 is supposed to be the brightest, sharpest beyer.....

The DT-990 premium that I have are bright but with decent warm tube amp like my BH Crack they are not bad, better bass than the HD-600 but missing the smooth mids and the highs can be harsh with some tracks.  Its not as bright as my T1g1 but the highs on the T1 are smooth and more extended so while they are brighter they are easy to listen to IMO.

LOL yeah so I decided to just buy replacement pads for my HD 555. Can't go wrong with these :D

I actually think the E.A.R technology that sennheiser uses in these are more than just marketing I think its a real thing. This sounds 3D, magical I never found anything that sounded like these.

This might be your best decision yet, new pads for your old favorite.  Save for your next headphone, I think you'll be happier in the long run.

Nov 21, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #16,976 of 23,425

Saving up money is a good choice. New pads are like what, $20? Then you can coast for a while until you have enough saved up to have some proper options. When you hit a budget around the $400 range, you have much more to choose from than your current $200 limitation. If you save up until you have $600, then you can spend some on a headphone and some on a new DAC/amp. Until then, you'll have all the time in the world to do more research. The HD555 is an old horse, but a good a reliable one, minus the unfortunate people that had the plastic on their headband crack, but it's not like it broke, just a hairline crack
wink.gif

Nov 21, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #16,977 of 23,425
  Saving up money is a good choice. New pads are like what, $20? Then you can coast for a while until you have enough saved up to have some proper options. When you hit a budget around the $400 range, you have much more to choose from than your current $200 limitation. If you save up until you have $600, then you can spend some on a headphone and some on a new DAC/amp. Until then, you'll have all the time in the world to do more research. The HD555 is an old horse, but a good a reliable one, minus the unfortunate people that had the plastic on their headband crack, but it's not like it broke, just a hairline crack
wink.gif

Mine have one hairline crack - but does not seem to be a major issue, and they still sound pretty darn good to me.

Nov 21, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #16,978 of 23,425

Mine have one hairline crack - but does not seem to be a major issue, and they still sound pretty darn good to me.

Is it that spot by the headband adjustment around where it twists slightly? That's where I've seen it commonly crack. Doesn't affect headphone operation in any way, just looks bad and gets criticized for cheap plastic, but it's not like it totally falls apart or stops you from enjoying it.

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #16,979 of 23,425
  Is it that spot by the headband adjustment around where it twists slightly? That's where I've seen it commonly crack. Doesn't affect headphone operation in any way, just looks bad and gets criticized for cheap plastic, but it's not like it totally falls apart or stops you from enjoying it.

Yup - that's the spot.

Nov 21, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #16,980 of 23,425
I don't care how it looks on my head...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back