Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Sep 25, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #16,231 of 23,486

The most amazing thing with the HD600 with the Mixamp pro TR is that I can tell the exact spot where shots are being fired. I can tell is the shots are in the middle of the map, if its in the middle-right hall, whatever. It's really amazing what the Dolby headphone does with the HD600.  

And I repeat it, for all that, neither AD700x or DT990 is close to the HD600. Again, I need to put more hours on the DT990, but in the few hours I used I can tell they are not as precise for gaming. I had a real hard time spotting where sounds where coming from, mostly everything felt coming from behind and sounds from the top like UAVs where really hard to locate. 

If gaming is the most important aspect then I would suggest auditioning the HD-700, if you think the HD-600 is good at positional audio then the HD-700 takes it to a whole different level and you wouldn't need to double amp since the HD-700 is easier to drive than the HD-600.

Sep 25, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #16,232 of 23,486
  If gaming is the most important aspect then I would suggest auditioning the HD-700, if you think the HD-600 is good at positional audio then the HD-700 takes it to a whole different level and you wouldn't need to double amp since the HD-700 is easier to drive than the HD-600.

Gaming is not the most important. I decided to get a pair of headphones dedicated to gaming. I have the HD595 and even those are supposed to be better than the HD600, from what I've read here, but they are not close. I am considering getting replacement earpads for my hd595 because they are falling apart and might be intervening with the sound. 

I've spent the whole morning listening to the HD600 and the DT990 250ohm, using the modi 2 uber as dac and the magni 2 uber and Valhalla 2 as amps. When using the magni 2 uber, they both were very close, and the DT990 were louder at the same volume level. But when using the Valhalla 2 things go way in favor of the HD600. The extra weight and detail they get make the DT990 sound way too thin, even though the bass is better on the DT990. Something that keeps striking me is the way the HD600 renders the sounds and instruments in the background, behind the vocals, but with such a weight and clarity that I havent heard in any other headphone, and that I've heard in many speaker systems costing above 15 and 20k USD. The DT990 cant do that. At least not with my rig. 

One thing in which the DT990 takes the HD600 easily is comfort. I've always thought the HD600 were comfortable, but they dont feel as much now after wearing the DT990.

When considering the DT990 can be had for 139USD, I consider them a great value, specially when I think the HD600, at twice the price, is also considered a great value. I think the DT990 sounds better off of lesser equipment than the HD600 does, but I didnt run any test about this this morning, so my memory could be off. 

Sep 25, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #16,234 of 23,486

Not just gaming, but movies and television shows also.  I will hear a sound from the TV and find myself turning my head looking for where the sound is coming from only to quickly figure out the excellent sound positioning of the HD700's got me again...

Sep 25, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #16,235 of 23,486
  Not just gaming, but movies and television shows also.  I will hear a sound from the TV and find myself turning my head looking for where the sound is coming from only to quickly figure out the excellent sound positioning of the HD700's got me again...

Guilty. I've definitely heard a sound and was like "is that down the hall coming from my kitchen?"

Sep 25, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #16,236 of 23,486
Has anyone found an amp that makes the 600's sound more lively at low volume? I did some testing (using SoundMeter and Decibel 10th apps, there are many free db apps) and found that they only start to open up above 70db or so whereas I like to listen most of the time under 65db.

It's inevitable that a very neutral can will take on the signature of an inverted U with rolled off lows and highs due to the fact that our ears are alot better at sensing mids when it comes to low volume listening, but I have heard that some amp can help the Senns a little in this area.

I'm thinking of getting a slightly more "u-shaped" can like the AKG 702 but I thought I'd see if anyone has found a magic amp first!

Sep 25, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #16,237 of 23,486
Has anyone found an amp that makes the 600's sound more lively at low volume? I did some testing (using SoundMeter and Decibel 10th apps, there are many free db apps) and found that they only start to open up above 70db or so whereas I like to listen most of the time under 65db.

It's inevitable that a very neutral can will take on the signature of an inverted U with rolled off lows and highs due to the fact that our ears are alot better at sensing mids when it comes to low volume listening, but I have heard that some amp can help the Senns a little in this area.

I'm thinking of getting a slightly more "u-shaped" can like the AKG 702 but I thought I'd see if anyone has found a magic amp first!

As far as I'm aware, it might be a better option for you to look for a DAC to do so or to just run EQ. Then again, I can only attest to a couple solid state amps I've used, but I haven't heard anything to make the HD600 less neutral at low volume.

Sep 25, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #16,238 of 23,486

AKG K702 is not more u-shaped really.
AKG K702 is lighter in the bass and significantly brighter than HD600.

Soundmagic HP200, Beyerdynamic DT990 and Fidelio X2 are more u-shaped than HD600.

DT880 is less bassy than HD600 and also brighter, similar to the AKG K702 but slightly fuller in the bass and softer in the upper midrange. It's a nice neutralish headphone for low/moderate listening levels.

Sep 26, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #16,239 of 23,486

The K702 isn't u-shaped, in fact I find the mids can be more forward than the HD 600's and the AKGs are not headphones I think are at their best at low volume levels, in fact they are worse than the Senns about it. I would look into Beyers for low level listening such as the DT 880 or DT 150. 

Sep 26, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #16,241 of 23,486

Bad news for me. I often listen below 50 dBA! Usually between 40-60 dBA. 

Tube amps as someone already suggested might help.

Do you have a Fiio E6 lying around? Definitely not a neutral amp. You might enjoy the pairing with high gain?

Sep 26, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #16,242 of 23,486
Dang that's disappointing about the AKG 7??: there are several posts elsewhere recommending them above the Senns for low level listening and they are very easy to come by second hand here in the UK. Beyers are a lot less common, I'll keep a look out for the DT880/990 though.

Eq is out of the question I'm afraid: I'm using Runeaudio on Raspberry Pi which is totally barebones like all the Pi streaming builds, no luxuries like EQ. It's a shame loudness switches on amps have gone out of fashion, they were made for just this problem. Tube amps do seem to be the closest to a solution for this with the 600's.

Below 50db's? That's whisper quiet, my breathing is louder than that! My headphone amp goes into channel imbalance at around 60-65db's so I couldn't listen that quiet even if I wanted to.

I think that this problem comes about because most mid-fi 'phones are tuned to be neutral rather than fun at 70db plus which means they'll be veiled for low volume listening. An exception would be the Fidelio X2 but I've seen those recommended against for low volume. Grados are recommended a lot but I've no idea what they sound like and they have such a bad rep for build quality.

Sep 26, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #16,243 of 23,486
Dang that's disappointing about the AKG 7??: there are several posts elsewhere recommending them above the Senns for low level listening and they are very easy to come by second hand here in the UK. Beyers are a lot less common, I'll keep a look out for the DT880/990 though.

Eq is out of the question I'm afraid: I'm using Runeaudio on Raspberry Pi which is totally barebones like all the Pi streaming builds, no luxuries like EQ. It's a shame loudness switches on amps have gone out of fashion, they were made for just this problem. Tube amps do seem to be the closest to a solution for this with the 600's.

Below 50db's? That's whisper quiet, my breathing is louder than that! My headphone amp goes into channel imbalance at around 60-65db's so I couldn't listen that quiet even if I wanted to.

I think that this problem comes about because most mid-fi 'phones are tuned to be neutral rather than fun at 70db plus which means they'll be veiled for low volume listening. An exception would be the Fidelio X2 but I've seen those recommended against for low volume. Grados are recommended a lot but I've no idea what they sound like and they have such a bad rep for build quality.

That's for me personally though on the K7's, they aren't bad low volumes, just found Beyers better at low volumes. Same with the Senns.

Grado's sound better than you may expect. I personally felt stupid for not trying them earlier. They are clear, liquid(they are not dry sounding by any means), musical, and energetic sounding. The new E ones are smoother, darker, and more spacious sounding than older Grado's.

Sep 26, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #16,244 of 23,486

as @kman1211 noted you might want to try the new "e" series Grado, I started with the SR-225e and then went to the RS2e and have even modded and built some Grado clones with some really good drivers, and as a bonus they are easy to drive, no additional amp needed.  Only issue is the comfort for some, while I can used the L pads for long periods my GF can't but with the G pads even she can use them for long periods.  She used to use her HD-700 when out walking our dog but has since taken my ypsilon driver build and likes it so much I've ordered parts to build a second one.

Another suggestion for low level listening is a MDR-7506, the bass and treble are boosted so at normal levels its not that great but a low listening levels its like the old "loudness" switch.

Sep 26, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #16,245 of 23,486
That's for me personally though on the K7's, they aren't bad low volumes, just found Beyers better at low volumes. Same with the Senns.

Grado's sound better than you may expect. I personally felt stupid for not trying them earlier. They are clear, liquid(they are not dry sounding by any means), musical, and energetic sounding. The new E ones are smoother, darker, and more spacious sounding than older Grado's.
as @kman1211
 noted you might want to try the new "e" series Grado, I started with the SR-225e and then went to the RS2e and have even modded and built some Grado clones with some really good drivers, and as a bonus they are easy to drive, no additional amp needed.  Only issue is the comfort for some, while I can used the L pads for long periods my GF can't but with the G pads even she can use them for long periods.  She used to use her HD-700 when out walking our dog but has since taken my ypsilon driver build and likes it so much I've ordered parts to build a second one.

Another suggestion for low level listening is a MDR-7506, the bass and treble are boosted so at normal levels its not that great but a low listening levels its like the old "loudness" switch.

Ok I'll see what I can find in the way of "e" series Grado. I did see some chat about the 1000e being the best low volume headphone of all but that's a bit too much of a jump to start with!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back