Sennheiser HD 600 -- How to make them sound better on my IMac?
Sep 7, 2011 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

artcore

New Head-Fier

Hello Head-fi`ers and greetings from Germany. :=)

I personally own an IMac and a Sennheiser HD 600 Headphone.
Since the quality of the internal soundcard is not very good, ive decided to get a headphone amp for my HD 600.

Ive spent quite some time with researching at the the head-fi forum but since i am not a pro on that area, i would love to get some suggestions from you.

Ive stumbled over the Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1 and read some pretty good and some pretty bad user reviews.

I want to attach the amp/dac via USB or Firewire too my IMac.

My budget is between 300 and 500 Dollars.

The Tubemagic D1 sounds pretty good but for me it seems a bit to cheap to be a reasonable dac/amp.

i appreciate every comments and feedback.

so long

Nicola

Sep 8, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #4 of 9
Cambridge Dac Magig and Schiit Bifrost are two options that you may want to consider too.

Sep 8, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #5 of 9
One suggestion which works very well (for me) with the HD600 is the combination of Little Dot DAC_1 and LD MK III (especially when the driver tubes are substituted for CV4010s). This setup should lie within your budget, allowing for a decent RCA interconnect (Funk-Tonstudiotechnik are generally good value in Germany).

Sep 8, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #6 of 9
BTW, your iMac also has an optical (TOSLINK) output.  If you plug a 3 mm optical plug into the line out, it will send optical.  The advantage of that is that you'll be bypassing the internal DAC without using a different software interface.

So if I was doing this, I would look for a DAC with an optical input and use that interface instead of USB or Firewire.  USB is good too, and shouldn't be a deal breaker.  But optical removes any chance of electrical noise, and any chance of software incompatibilities to the USB interface.

Sep 8, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #7 of 9
Definitely take a look at  Nuforce HDP.  Its an amp / DAC combo with components that you will find in 4 figure priced equipment.

I heard it in store with Beyedynamic DT880's and HD650's....it sounds ridiculously good for that price. 

Also, its styling will fit you, because if you like Mac's, you like simplicity. :p

http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/iconhdp/index.php

Sep 11, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #8 of 9
Hello.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Currently i am pending between the Little Dot DAC_1 / LD MK III and the Nuforce HDP.

They both seem pretty good and got some nice scores by the reviewers.

Thanks for the tip with the optical (toslink).

I am goin to use the optical output instead of the usb.

Any suggestions regarding these both amps/dacs?

Design doesnt matter btw.

I just wanna have the best audio performance for my budget. :wink:

Is the original cable of the HD 600 good enough, or do i need a special cable like the "Blue Dragon" headphone cable to get the best performance?

Sep 11, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Definitely take a look at  Nuforce HDP.  Its an amp / DAC combo with components that you will find in 4 figure priced equipment.

I heard it in store with Beyedynamic DT880's and HD650's....it sounds ridiculously good for that price. 

Also, its styling will fit you, because if you like Mac's, you like simplicity. :p

http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/iconhdp/index.php

+1 for the Nuforce Icon HDP.  It sounds pretty darn good at that price, especially considering that it is also a DAC and preamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back