Sennheiser hd 600, Beyerdynamic dt 880/250 or Beyerdynamic t70p
May 2, 2013 at 8:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

milk

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys! I finally decided to pull the trigger on one of these! The price doesn't matter for me because I have found deals decent enough for my budget and just want to know which is the best! Again these will be for indie pop, indie rock, punk rock, alternative rock, general alternative, rap Just a good pair with perfect mids and highs and just a nice enough bass to know its there! Help me put this to rest! Thanks! :)

May 2, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #2 of 10
I don't think you can go wrong with the HD600 because they sound great with any type of music and they also are very comfortable and I can listen to them for hours on end with no discomfort.

May 2, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #3 of 10
I just recently got the HD600’s and I have to say that I have been very happy with the way they sound. I mostly listen to classic rock and soft rock, and I feel that they really excel with those specific genres, although I have not found anything that don’t sound good with. IMO everything is just smooth coming out of these cans. They are also extremely comfortable and I can wear them for extended listening sessions with zero issues. I do not listen to a lot of music with exaggerated electronic low end, but I love the low end of the HD600’s because it’s right where it should be IMO. My favorite band is Chicago, (the original lineup…) and I love to hear Peter Cetera’s soaring tenor voice and thumpin’ Fender P-bass on the HD600’s.   

I have not heard the other two headphones but I am looking at the DT880 as my next possible purchase. I like to have at least one closed and open pair from the same manufacturer, already have the DT770’s so the 880’s just seem like the next logical step. The t70p is a closed design while the other two are open. Does this matter to you? The t70p is essentially made for portable listening as the “P” in the name suggests, as it is also a 32ohm closed headphone, very different from the other two. The two open cans need to be amped to achieve maximum benefit. Good luck and happy listening.   

May 2, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 10
Alright guys Great! thanks for the replies so I have the option of a pair of 250 ohm 880s for 180 dollars or the hd 600 for 270 dollars now i just gotta decide which to get haha! :) so far from you guys it seems like the hd 600s but just waiting one more day to decide in case any more suggestions come up! :)

May 3, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #5 of 10
I just got in the 880 600ohm version and am very happy with these.  I recently sold a pair of the HD600s as Sennheisers, to my ears, have a critical flaw in the upper bass/ low mid range (?).  (I found this even into the HD800).  It's a subtle smearing but its in a bad place and for me ruins the experience of what otherwise is a very good sounding headphone.
To my ears, the 880s are much more balanced sounding.  I had the T1s for a little while and these are quite similar (but not the same clarity).  The presentation and scale is quite the same.
I would suggest the 880s over the HD600 because of that annoying frequency band in the Sennheisers.  Both are good though.
I've read that the 880s are supposedly bass shy.  Sure they don't rumble like the Denon D2000s but they are quite good in the bass and I think a little more articulate than the HD600s.  The uppermids are where I think I might prefer the HD600 but not much.
Overall, the 880s perform better across the board. (to my ears, of course)

Also, I have a large head and found the HD600s a little tight, though I guess you could bend the headband.  The 880s fit me better.

btw, I'm not sure what you are planning for an amp but I suspect that both need a good amp.  I was using a bottlehead crack with very good tubes.

May 3, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
I just got in the 880 600ohm version and am very happy with these.  I recently sold a pair of the HD600s as Sennheisers, to my ears, have a critical flaw in the upper bass/ low mid range (?).  (I found this even into the HD800).  It's a subtle smearing but its in a bad place and for me ruins the experience of what otherwise is a very good sounding headphone.
To my ears, the 880s are much more balanced sounding.  I had the T1s for a little while and these are quite similar (but not the same clarity).  The presentation and scale is quite the same.
I would suggest the 880s over the HD600 because of that annoying frequency band in the Sennheisers.  Both are good though.
I've read that the 880s are supposedly bass shy.  Sure they don't rumble like the Denon D2000s but they are quite good in the bass and I think a little more articulate than the HD600s.  The uppermids are where I think I might prefer the HD600 but not much.
Overall, the 880s perform better across the board. (to my ears, of course)

Also, I have a large head and found the HD600s a little tight, though I guess you could bend the headband.  The 880s fit me better.

btw, I'm not sure what you are planning for an amp but I suspect that both need a good amp.  I was using a bottlehead crack with very good tubes.

I don't hear that at all, I hope it wasn't something wrong with the pair you had.  I do wish the decay of the bass was a bit more clean from time to time but that's the only so called flaw I hear but everyone's different.

I do like my HE-400 a bit more than the HD600 or at least I thought I did but after listening to the HD600 for about 7 hours today I really love the SQ and sound signature of them even more now.  With the addition of the silver cable I'm getting I'm hoping to like them even more though the HE-400 I still think might be just a step ahead of the HD600 in over all SQ, clarity and transparency.   

May 3, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #7 of 10
I'm not sure what is going on.  I had the Hd800s for a short time just to know what all the fuss was about but knowing that I couldn't really afford to keep them and I swear I could hear that same frequency range as slightly smeared and undetailed.  There were certain recordings that highlighted it but in a direct A-B with the Beyer T1s I had at the same time, (and some symphones magnums) I couldn't make out a certain horn that could've been a bassoon for the lack of clarity.  But in the T1s and the symphones, it was very clearly a bassoon as you could hear the timbre of the reed.  In all other respects, the HD800 was a "better" headphone, in audiophile terms.  
When I sold the HD800s and T1s and tried to go to a less expensive set up, I had great hopes for the HD600s but found that same band lacking and worse and even wider freq. band that really just ruined them for me.  It's not terrible, but when I know what an instrument is and can't hear it's overtones or timbre , or worse, hear a note and can't make out what instrument is making it, it starts to sound artificial.

The Beyers have a house sound that can seem a little congested compared to the Senns (more apparent in the T1 to HD800 comparison than the 880s to the HD600s) but overall I find that the 880s are more "evenly clear" than the HD600s which are beautiful in some areas but fall a little short in others.

May 3, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #8 of 10
[size=13.0pt]Thanks SBranson... You have done nothing but make me want the DT880's that much more!!! LOL I’m with Techno Kid, I don’t think I hear anything particularly wrong but for me the decay could be a little faster, on some songs… OP Milk, what will you be using to amp the cans, and where are you getting those great prices from? Buying used? [/size]

May 3, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #9 of 10
Lol! An yeah I'm buying used i ended up going with the dt 880s!:) for amp I'm not sure haha my amp budget is 100 (also willing to buy used) and the source is my iphone so I just new an amp but yeah you guys make the dt 880s sound nice so I went with those haha thanks for the help guys it helped so much!:) I just gotta get the amp now hahaha:)

Jun 2, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #10 of 10
Find the Beyerdynamic very detailed, with good instrument separation, but I find them too thin-sounding, and the treble is next to being annoying also very unnatural and "tinny" in my opinion... I hear some things I didn't before, and together with the strong bass extention and definition in all areas it changes the listening experience of some things completely, but it's overall stressful, demanding to the ears, and I have to stop to listen to a lot of things quickly that are otherwise unimproved. I'm trying to go with the Sennheiser HD 600 or the Philips Fidelio X1 next.

BTW, while I was at it, I think that sums Beyerdynamic vs Sennheiser up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T70-HTlKRXo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back