Sennheiser HD 6,7 & 8 DJ thread. Opinions, reviews, feedback, pics, discussions, etc.
Feb 27, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #1,051 of 1,133
  Hi, Thanks for the reply. i did try the m50(x) overall the sound was oke but i liked the sound of the hd7 more mostly because the treble was a bit to harsh on the m50 and comfort wise the m50. I can get the hd7 for 180 so its only 30 euro more than the m50 that is not the problem. The biggest thing for me was the comfort. Still looking for a good headphone in comfort and sound (nice comfort like the hd555 and punchy bass like the hd7) guess they dont exist :frowning2:

Yeah perfection is much far fetched. One thing I'd like to add is that I modded my M50x. I took away the rear cap covering the drivers inside the earcups. I removed all polyfills too. Plus, I changed pads. I don't like the stock pads. They isolate better, but they add to the sibilan(ce). Do try aftermarket pads. Even cheaper pads sound better to me, and more comfy. I got these $10 pads, pleather memory foam, and they have a larger inner circumference. Thus, not much pressure on my ears and a wider fit, and relaxed mids and highs. I now recommend AGAINST stock pads.

Feb 27, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #1,053 of 1,133
  Yeah if the HD7 is just a tad bit more (in price), it's a good option. Though these sennheisers always do feel a bit harder to drive to me.

They are rated at 95 ohms so harder to drive.

Heres how to fix the bass on the HD6/7/8.

The C5 is resting on the HD7 while the HD8 flies solo.

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #1,055 of 1,133
Owner of HD600s here and love them to death, Charles Mingus and Jimmy Hendix has never sounded so good to my ears.  But I also love big dumb banging bass tracks like Xilent's dubstep tracks and, let's face it, Sennheiser's headphones are known for their restraint when it comes to the low end.

I've heard fantastic fantastic reviews of the 8DJs.  But do they have the head-exploding bass I need for those times when I have to do off with everything that is civilized and deliver a carpet-bombing of heavy audio waves into my cranium.

I listen to music like a wear a mullet, the HD600s are the all business in front but are the HD 8 DJs up to the job of being the party in back?

Jun 1, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #1,056 of 1,133
If someone would like extra velours, let me know.

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #1,057 of 1,133
BTW guys... I just sold off my hd8dj. Was very fatiguing. And there were problems with it. I can't explain it. But the sound and comfort were both huge problems. I'm instead using my ATHM50x or even more so, the JVC HA SZ1000 which for much lower price is stunningly good sounding to me, though not as robust construction wise, and there are some comfort issues, though way less than the hd8gj. If anyone's gonna be new to this club, I'd still recommend maybe a technics or a pioneer. Not the hd8dj. I can't say much about hd6 or hd7. But if the hd8dj is supposedly better than those, I should expect even worse. Someone was right when they said mid bass mixes up with the mids. It's a bit strange indeed.

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #1,058 of 1,133
Owner of HD600s here and love them to death, Charles Mingus and Jimmy Hendix has never sounded so good to my ears.  But I also love big dumb banging bass tracks like Xilent's dubstep tracks and, let's face it, Sennheiser's headphones are known for their restraint when it comes to the low end.

I've heard fantastic fantastic reviews of the 8DJs.  But do they have the head-exploding bass I need for those times when I have to do off with everything that is civilized and deliver a carpet-bombing of heavy audio waves into my cranium.

I listen to music like a wear a mullet, the HD600s are the all business in front but are the HD 8 DJs up to the job of being the party in back?

No. Don't get em before trying. Mark my words.

Jun 1, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #1,059 of 1,133

Would be good advice for any set of cans if at all possible.  This is a hobby of preferences...

Jun 1, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #1,060 of 1,133

Would be good advice for any set of cans if at all possible.  This is a hobby of preferences...

Well there's a lot at play here. Let me break it down for you.

Build & Options: The HD8DJ are solid, no doubt. Built like a tank. Not going anywhere. Good case, dual entry jack, two kinds of cables. Now the cables are nice but... not mobile. No sir. You will need an aftermarket cable, if you could at all find a good one, for portable use.

Sound: Sound is... strange to me. There's critics who compared about 40 cans. I saw that review later. They said, the mid-bass mixes up with lower mids and sometimes the vocals. It's muddying things in a strange way. That's the closest they could get to the truth and realized they were right. So sound is very, very questionable.

Comfort: This is the worst part. While these cans will indeed provide you the best passive noise isolation, the fit is just too tight and inconvenient. For the price, you expect so much more. They are so discomforting, the goods in the sound and isolation starts troubling you in 10 minutes. Long-term sessions on these cans are just not possible. And lately, I've become to realize that to an audiophile (which I don't consider myself as I'm a mediophile; an enthusiast on a budget) matters so damn much. If you can't have more than 10 minutes of music which is above average to began with, it's messed up. Soundwise, I will tell you that the ATHm50x are better, albeit with lesser bass impact. Still, I'd vouch more for the Panasonic HDJs or even the Technics 1200.

If you truly are looking for audiophile cans in this kind of a package, check out the SoundMagic Hp150s. Trust me, there are much better sounding, and more comforting options out there. Even if you are a DJ, you have better options. If you're not, and are not into music productions or mixing, I'd wonder why you'd even consider these in the first place.

Jun 1, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #1,061 of 1,133

Well there's a lot at play here. Let me break it down for you.

Build & Options: The HD8DJ are solid, no doubt. Built like a tank. Not going anywhere. Good case, dual entry jack, two kinds of cables. Now the cables are nice but... not mobile. No sir. You will need an aftermarket cable, if you could at all find a good one, for portable use.

Sound: Sound is... strange to me. There's critics who compared about 40 cans. I saw that review later. They said, the mid-bass mixes up with lower mids and sometimes the vocals. It's muddying things in a strange way. That's the closest they could get to the truth and realized they were right. So sound is very, very questionable.

Comfort: This is the worst part. While these cans will indeed provide you the best passive noise isolation, the fit is just too tight and inconvenient. For the price, you expect so much more. They are so discomforting, the goods in the sound and isolation starts troubling you in 10 minutes. Long-term sessions on these cans are just not possible. And lately, I've become to realize that to an audiophile (which I don't consider myself as I'm a mediophile; an enthusiast on a budget) matters so damn much. If you can't have more than 10 minutes of music which is above average to began with, it's messed up. Soundwise, I will tell you that the ATHm50x are better, albeit with lesser bass impact. Still, I'd vouch more for the Panasonic HDJs or even the Technics 1200.

If you truly are looking for audiophile cans in this kind of a package, check out the SoundMagic Hp150s. Trust me, there are much better sounding, and more comforting options out there. Even if you are a DJ, you have better options. If you're not, and are not into music productions or mixing, I'd wonder why you'd even consider these in the first place.

+1 On build and options.  As far as being portable they do fold up and being closed will not disturb those around you.  The cables are long for portable use. A shorter cable would be better for portable use.

Sound.  While I do not have the issues regarding bass and mids that you discribe.  I do not find them to have a neutral sound signature.  More of a V shaped sound.

Comfort.  I found the earpads to be a little small for my taste.  Clamping force is simular to my HD600's which is a little tighter than I would like, but its not a deal breaker for me. I've never heard the cans you reference so I can not speak to their SQ in comparison to the HD8 DJ's.

I would not call these an audiophile can either as most headphones I consider audiophile have a more neutral SQ.  That said I personally do like the sound of these.

But as you stated earlier if you can audition them first that would always be recommended.

Jul 5, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #1,063 of 1,133
  Anyone knows if the HD 7 DJ are still covered under warranty now that they're discontinued? bought mine about 7 months ago.

Sennheiser has a 2 year warranty if memory serves...

Jul 5, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #1,065 of 1,133

Users who are viewing this thread

Back